PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruiser trying to start when I put negative cable on battery

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2017, 03:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruiser trying to start when I put negative cable on battery

Hi folks, been awhile but this is the best place for help! Cruiser has been sitting for awhile because of working out of town. My son was driving it months ago and had a problem(get into that on another thread). Anyways he pulled the battery and it's been sitting on the bench till yesterday. I put it in the tray, hooked up the positive cable, then as I was putting the negative cable on, it was trying to start(no keys in ignition). I did google this and I read a few things that could possibly be the problem. One was the starter solenoid. So I pulled the starter and had it tested at autozone. It said started is good but it didn't say anything about the solenoid. Am I missing something or should I be looking in a different direction for the cause of this problem?
Old 27 May 2017, 05:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Cruiser trying to start when I put negative cable on battery

Put the key in the ignition & turn it on & off, then try hooking up the battery again.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 May 2017, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do what LionPT recommends first. If no joy, disconnect the small wire that goes to the starter solenoid and see if it's hot. If it has a constant 12 volts on it, inspect to assure nothing has eaten off the insulation from it and the positive battery cable where it goes to the starter. If so and if they are together, there's the issues.

If there's 12 volts on the solenoid wire and the cables are in good shape, trade out the starter relay with one of the others and check again. Here's a diagram:

If same problem, you are likely looking at a switch issue. Here's a diagram for that:

Here is a table showing the usual wire colors coming out of a 1st Gen PT ignition switch. I'd test the starter wire here below the ignition switch on the left side of the steering column. If it's constantly hot and LionPT's suggestion didn't work, then I'd change the switch. Note that this switch is separate from the lock cylinder. :

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 May 2017 at 06:38 pm.
Old 27 May 2017, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your other problem may be part of the problem. I would check the connection inside the steering column. That gets toasted sometimes. Just curious why the safety switch isn't working.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 May 2017, 08:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Do what LionPT recommends first. If no joy, disconnect the small wire that goes to the starter solenoid and see if it's hot. If it has a constant 12 volts on it, inspect to assure nothing has eaten off the insulation from it and the positive battery cable where it goes to the starter. If so and if they are together, there's the issues.

If there's 12 volts on the solenoid wire and the cables are in good shape, trade out the starter relay with one of the others and check again. Here's a diagram:

This pic is wrong, it is from the G1. You have a G2 now..you should know the difference

Old 27 May 2017, 08:52 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
This pic is wrong, it is from the G1. You have a G2 now..you should know the difference
From what I can find from previous posts from the OP, they have a Gen1.
Old 27 May 2017, 09:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
From what I can find from previous posts from the OP, they have a Gen1.
I think all the 2006 posts today got me confused

Old 27 May 2017, 09:20 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I think all the 2006 posts today got me confused
There have been a few, I think even another one of someone else wanting to put Gen1 seats into a Gen2, it can get a little confusing.
Old 28 May 2017, 08:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies! Now, I was putting on starter an I dumbfounded with the top bolt. I put the bolt on the starter side in and when I was getting to ground wire side I find ground wire and no bolt. I carefully look and found a bolt down below I'm looking at how I it back in. There is no room for bolt and what does it thread to? My Chilton book is very limited on pics and instructions. I didn't think much about this as I Was taking bolts off to remove starter! I'm scratching the hair off my skull trying to figure this out! Please anybody with better pics and instructions help! Thanks....many things going on this weekend and trying fix my poor pt cruiser!
Old 28 May 2017, 09:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was trying to post thread thru my iphone and I can't even type a sentence correctly thru it...geez. ok here are three pics of what I said in above thread.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...1&d=1495980810
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 107.jpg (96.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 106.jpg (83.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 105.jpg (83.3 KB, 12 views)