Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Needing advice on common issue.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2017, 09:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Lights and multifunction switch questions.

Hello everyone,
I just joined here and I need some advice, my 2002 PT Cruiser is experiencing the all too common electrical issues. I have headlights, brake lights, turn signals, interior lights, fog lights and the radio lights work. Unfortunately, I can only turn the headlights on and off by removing the fuse, and have no tail lights. After replacing all the fuses inside the car, I do have my fog lights back, and my interior lights "dimmer switch" excluding my dash panel lights. The multifunction switch had to be replaced when I purchased the car but I'm fairly certain it is the issue here again, at least with the headlights as it became impossible to turn the lights off from there. The taillights did work up until we had a large snow fall this winter and the car was iced over for days. The tail light cover is broken so, possibly water somewhere? I'm not sure, I do have brake and turn signals still. My question is, is there something I'm missing, is there a cheaper alternative than replacing the entire switch, can I possibly find a combatible switch that isn't the sixty to seventy dollar multi switch? Also, the ports for lighters, or chargers no longer work either. Thank you for any tips or advice that can be given.

Last edited by CruiserGirl02; 28 May 2017 at 10:01 am. Reason: Better title.
Old 28 May 2017, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Needing advice on common issue.

Hi, as far as your lighter and charger posrts, you have a whole set of fuses and relays in the engne compartment in back of the battery and under the air filter box. It's called the PDC (Power Distribution Center) and the Number #19 fuse is the one that has the power to the ports.

P.S. the picture of the PDC is 180 degrees from how it looks in the box itself. For some reason whoever made up the owners manual had a little too much when making that helpful picture up.
CruiserGirl02 likes this.
Old 28 May 2017, 01:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank You
Old 28 May 2017, 01:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Now, as far as a cheap fix for the MFS (Multi-Functin Switch), the only one we have on the forum is to fix PART of the switch that deals with the fog lights. There's a small piece that needs to be fixed when the fog lights stays on which can drain the battery. We have a HOW TO section in the TECH part of the forum for that fix. You might try posting to see if anyone is about to visit a salvage yard and maybe they can pick up a new MFS and you can pay what they paid plus a little for their time and shipping to your place. That should be about half price of a new switch BUT your taking a chance on a used part as there's no way to test it in a salvage yard.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 May 2017, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you so much for the help with the charger ports, replacing the fuse did indeed fix it. After a process of elimination we've determined that it is definitely the multi functions switch. Mine is slightly unusual as my fog lights work perfectly. I am able to turn them on and off with the switch. It's my head lights that are the biggest issue, as unless I pull the fuse they will not turn off. Nor do I have tail lights or dash panel lights. My husband is going to give it a go at repairing the multifunction switch to see if we can fix it. I will let everyone know how it turns out.
rob302 likes this.
Old 28 May 2017, 03:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

check the wiring at the grey connector under the dash by the fusebox while you're at it. mine had a couple wires melted together.. which could also possibly create an issue like you describe.

Old 28 May 2017, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Once inside the switch we found the issue but are unsure of how to fix the issue. It is the part inside that turns the lights on and off. Mine is broken in the on position, since it's plastic we don't know how to try and fix it. Any ideas are helpful, this is also the issue for the tail lights as well. Except the headlights are on and the tail lights are off..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170528_170800.jpg (85.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170528_170813.jpg (87.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 28 May 2017, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The ongoing saga.. now I have no headlights, they won't come on.. but I do have parking lights "which I never had" but now they won't turn off.
Old 28 May 2017, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here are the fixes that people came up with while repairing the MFS with a fog light problem. Maybe one of these will give you an idea how to fix yours for the headlights.....

How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)

The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.

How I fixed my MFS. The final confessions of an MFS junkie!

**Multifunction Switch How-To Video**
Old 28 May 2017, 07:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserGirl02 View Post
The ongoing saga.. now I have no headlights, they won't come on.. but I do have parking lights "which I never had" but now they won't turn off.
Probably moved broken part a little when it was apart.
Might as well just buy another switch...JMO

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost