PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Still not running

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2017, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Still not running

Hi all, my 2008 PT is still not running. Replaced the timing belt, pulleys, water pump, cam sensor and just tried a know good coil. Still no spark and no fuel. disconnected the battery with key out and pulled all fuses in fuse box. Hit it with ether and still did not fire. replaced cam position sensor. Have checked the cam sensor and coil connections and they are not reversed. Checked crank position sensor and signal appears OK. have 90# compression on number 1 and 120# on number 4. Both cams go around when turned over. Don't know what else to check or do. Only codes I get are for the air bag which should not effect starting. Even have a new battery. Any ideas??
Old 30 May 2017, 03:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Still not running

Yeah, looking at your compression readings, I have a feeling that you have a cam 180 degrees out of time. BUT, I'm NOT a mechanic and don't claim to be one. Did you not start the engine for a couple of minutes after replacing the timing belt? If not, that's a colossal no-no. You ALWAYS make sure it'll start and run before buttoning it all up. At least, that's what I do. Do a search here. There are some great pictures of how your timing marks need to be aligned. And you can unplug a cam sensor and the car will still start. It just takes longer.
rockandroller likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 May 2017, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Is your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes with an OBDII Scan Tool?
rockandroller likes this.
Old 30 May 2017, 06:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Here are pictures of my marks on the cam sprockets and crank sprocket. I hope all you need to do is re-align the cams.

After I had everything aligned (new belt, tensioner, idler and water pump) I had a similar problem with weird compressions and it turned out the engine had been run hot sometime before I got it. That caused the head to warp which require the removal of the head to have it re-surfaced. $300 more to the cost.

Here's hoping all you will need to do is the realignment thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BottomMark.jpg (97.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg TopMarks.jpg (91.8 KB, 18 views)

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles
Old 31 May 2017, 10:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had it apart twice and checked the marks with #1 up. Pulled the valve cover and turned it over and both cams are turning. Marks are still aligned.
Engine light come on when key is turned and goes out when cranking, tac moves when cranked. Only codes are for the air bag nothing else. I don't hear the fuel pump and there is no fuel at the rail. Checked all the fuses in the fuse box, dont know location of any others. Battery has been disconnected and all fuses pulled, replaced and then reconnected. I have just the plain key, never had any other. Car was running when belt broke and tried to fire when marks were off a little, now nothing. I have a 5 - 0 V signal from the crank sensor, power to the cam sensor and coil. Hoping it is something simple. Tried to upload photos but there is a problem. Thanks for the help!!
Old 08 Jun 2017, 10:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well here is the latest, I checked everything I could, cam and crank sensor, coil etc. so I took the car in for a diagnosis. They got spark and injection pulse but no fuel, did a compression check and got low readings at first that came up to what I has gotten, 90# on number 1 and 100# on number 4. They then did a leak down test and said there is 90% leakage through the valves. They say bent valves. Im a little confused on that since the engine will develop compression. My understanding was these are not contact motors, the timing belt book they showed me says it is. I had taken a bore scope and looked in the engine before I did the belt and did not see any marks on the piston tops to indicate contact and that is why I proceeded. The valves looked OK to but of course cant see the whole valve. I don't want to pull that head unless I have to.

Are these contact motors??
Old 08 Jun 2017, 12:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

No, they are not. My belt broke while running down the highway at 70 mph. Of course I tried to restart while thinking it was the belt. Towed it home, replaced the belt and all of the extras, fired up with no problems.

(Quote) They got spark and injection pulse but no fuel

This should be the concern. What was the mechanic's answer for this? It seems WAY more important at this point. I wouldn't go down the lack of compression trail if I didn't have fuel!

IMO, if it was running when the belt broke and now you don't have fuel, it's not the timing or compression.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Last edited by VsandFords; 08 Jun 2017 at 01:13 pm.
Old 08 Jun 2017, 12:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Bent valves on my PT Cruiser, the belt didn't break the teeth or cogs on the belt striped and pulled one cam while the other cam was stationary bending the valves... No compression in three cylinders
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 08 Jun 2017, 01:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Dude, I seriously doubt that you have bent valves. Do yourself a favor and rotate one of the cams 180 degrees and try to start it. If it still won't start, put that cam back into the position it was in when you started and turn the other cam 180 degrees. I'll bet you a dollar it starts. Bent valves? Someone is going to get deep into your wallet if you go that route.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 08 Jun 2017, 01:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would check to see if the timing belt is off by one tooth. Do you have pictures of your cam alignment before you put it back together?