PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replace Heater Hoses?

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2017, 10:28 pm
Banned

Default Replace Heater Hoses?

I have some cooling system work needing to be done (replace leaking radiator). While the cooling system needs to be worked on, is it recommended to replace the heater hoses at the same time, or wait to replace them when/if they fail?

There are the 2 hoses from the firewall, but then also on the front of the block there are also 2 small sections of rubber heater hoses. They are not exactly in the easiest of places to get to replacing and they are original, which means they are 11 years old and have 144k miles on them.

The radiator hoses are not original and have about 50k miles on them. The thermostat is also not original and has about 50k miles on it.

At the next tune up, I will have the coolant temp sensor replaced, it's still original and all of the other sensors have been replaced at one time or another. I will also have a new thermostat installed.

Last edited by rckstein; 31 May 2017 at 10:38 pm.
Old 31 May 2017, 10:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replace Heater Hoses?

I would suggest replacing the leaking radiator as soon as possible. Replace all hoses that does not require you to remove the upper intake. You don't want the engine to overheat at all as you might not catch it right away if one of the hoses fail. You need to keep the coolant system pressurized at the correct pressure at all times. Just keep an eye on the upper hose routinely and check the quality of the hose each time.
Old 31 May 2017, 10:51 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest replacing the leaking radiator as soon as possible. Replace all hoses that does not require you to remove the upper intake. You don't want the engine to overheat at all as you might not catch it right away if one of the hoses fail. You need to keep the coolant system pressurized at the correct pressure at all times. Just keep an eye on the upper hose routinely and check the quality of the hose each time.
That's kind of what I was leaning towards. I've never owned a vehicle this long until my PT, and I want to keep it running for a while longer. Also, there have been so many overheating threads recently, and will only get worse as the hot Texas summer comes on.

The other issue is on the hoses, OEM hoses all include new spring clamps, none of the after market ones that I have found include new clamps and to buy them separate, might as well buy the OEM hoses that include new clamps. You can't buy the OEM spring clamps separate, they only come with the hoses.

I was looking for these blue xtreme replacement hoses, I thought I had seen Goodyear had them, but the only ones I can find do not fit my PT:

https://uedata.amazon.com/Goodyear-5.../dp/B00498ND9Y

I've got a new MOPAR radiator on order, got a pretty good price on it, online. I checked on some after market ones, and although they say they meet OEM specs, not all do as some are not as thick as the MOPAR so the cooling capacity and efficiency could be compromised. At least I know the MOPAR radiator meets specs.

Last edited by rckstein; 31 May 2017 at 11:13 pm.
Old 01 Jun 2017, 12:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I replaced my radiator hoses with replacement hoses from RockAuto 50,000 miles ago with no problems yet.
Old 01 Jun 2017, 02:07 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I replaced my radiator hoses with replacement hoses from RockAuto 50,000 miles ago with no problems yet.
Did you get MOPAR hoses from RockAuto or some other brand?

I just checked their website and the auto-selection of hoses does not list the MOPAR as available, but several after market (Continental, Gates, Dayco and ACDelco) brands. But when I put in the MOPAR part number for the hoses, they do have them available. I find it odd that they don't list the MOPAR along with all the others. The MOPAR hoses from RockAuto do have new spring clamps.

Last edited by rckstein; 01 Jun 2017 at 02:36 am.
Old 01 Jun 2017, 06:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

I would not even touch or look at the heater core hoses. Heater core are fragile, the less tugging twisting etc, the better..IMO
Old 01 Jun 2017, 06:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

IF you decide to go against Robs advice and replace the heater hoses, remove the clamps, take a box cutter or similar razor knife and split the hoses where they're clamped on and kind of peel them off. Like he said, if you start pulling and twisting on them, you could wind up with a leaking heater core and then you're in for a long, or expensive, repair. Depends on whether you do it or pay someone else. 6 to 8 hour job at least.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Jun 2017, 06:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
IF you decide to go against Robs advice and replace the heater hoses, remove the clamps, take a box cutter or similar razor knife and split the hoses where they're clamped on and kind of peel them off. Like he said, if you start pulling and twisting on them, you could wind up with a leaking heater core and then you're in for a long, or expensive, repair. Depends on whether you do it or pay someone else. 6 to 8 hour job at least.
Good advice from chuzz and worth repeating...
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 01 Jun 2017, 04:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Replace Heater Hoses?

I installed the blue Goodyear hoses a few years ago on mine. I got them mostly because they look kinda neat and sort of go with the blue car. I also think they are a better quality hose then most of the ones out there as well.
The heater core hoses aren't too difficult to replace, defiantly go by the advice given above about carefully slicing the end of the hose and peeling it off the nipple... Also be sure to reuse the protective wrap that is on the originals.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 01 Jun 2017, 04:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Replace Heater Hoses?

Also Continental took over the Goodyear name...
Part #5017 is what shows for my 2001.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com