Advertisements
Fuse 13 popping

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2017, 09:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fuse 13 popping

Hi all!

New to the forums, and a new owner of a 2001 PT Cruiser (5-speed manual)! We just bought it about 5 days ago and 50 miles later the engine died and wouldn't start.

I saw that fuse 13 (fuel pump and ASD) was blown when I was looking through the fuses. I have tried taking out the ASD relay and the fuel pump relay, but even with both of those out a new fuse still pops the moment I put it in the fuse box.

My understanding of this stuff is still pretty new, but if the fuse pops with the relays out, does that mean the problem can't be in the wiring associated with ASD and the fuel pump?
Old 01 Jun 2017, 11:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fuse 13 popping

The 2001 Pt Cruisers have a common problem of the wiring harness breaking off from the bottom of the engine and start rubbing on the axle shorting out wires inside the wire harness. Check to see if this might be what is happening.

If the wiring harness is okay then I am suggesting you disconnect the 02 sensors and see if fuse 13 blows. The reason is sometimes the the heater circuit on the 02 sensors can cause the fuse 13 to blow.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 01 Jun 2017 at 11:13 pm.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 11:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Apparently there is a direct short somewhere.

Fuse #13 in the under-hood PDC (power distribution center) protects circuits that feed the auto-shutdown relay (coil & power), the fuel pump relay (power only), the PCM (computer) and also power to pin #16 at the data-link connector. The data link connector is in the cabin; all else is under the hood.

The wire color is red/white from the fuse to all points. There is a splice in the PDC and one near the PCM breakout.

Somewhere, one of the circuits is shorting direct to ground. With the two relays removed those paths to ground are eliminated. A short to ground would need be between the fuse and relay contacts in the PDC, or perhaps at the data-link connector under the dash.
Look for damage to the wiring harness going to the PCM connector #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrieg View Post
Hi all!

New to the forums, and a new owner of a 2001 PT Cruiser (5-speed manual)! We just bought it about 5 days ago and 50 miles later the engine died and wouldn't start.

I saw that fuse 13 (fuel pump and ASD) was blown when I was looking through the fuses. I have tried taking out the ASD relay and the fuel pump relay, but even with both of those out a new fuse still pops the moment I put it in the fuse box.

My understanding of this stuff is still pretty new, but if the fuse pops with the relays out, does that mean the problem can't be in the wiring associated with ASD and the fuel pump?
rckstein likes this.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The 2001 Pt Cruisers have a common problem of the wiring harness breaking off from the bottom of the engine and start rubbing on the axle shorting out wires inside the wire harness. Check to see if this might be what is happening.
I ran my hand along the half shaft under the engine and didn't feel anything touching it. While I was down there, I did discover this (see attachment). So there is some hose that has been broken above the axle.

Anyway, the wiring harness under the engine seemed to be in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6494.jpg (95.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm also not able to get any error codes when I turn the key on-off-on-off-on. I only ever get the odometer reading, never anything that gives codes or says done.

Is that because the short is on the same circuit as the PCM, so it isn't able to give the codes?
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I ran my hand along the half shaft under the engine and didn't feel anything touching it. While I was down there, I did discover this (see attachment). So there is some hose that has been broken above the axle.

If the wiring harness is okay then I am suggesting you disconnect the 02 sensors and see if fuse 13 stops blowing.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 08:51 pm
Banned

Quote:

Does that tube come out of the firewall? You should be able to see it from the top.

That tube looks like the a/c condensate drain line and from the looks of how it's chewed up, it looks like it's been chewed on by critters. Look around the engine bay, there may be other things similarly chewed on

#18 in this pic is the a/c drain line:

Last edited by rckstein; 02 Jun 2017 at 09:03 pm.
Old 02 Jun 2017, 10:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If the harness above the passenger side front tire is ok, pull out the inside fuse box to the left of the steering wheel...there have been many posts where wires are melted together.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 02 Jun 2017, 10:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
If the wiring harness is okay then I am suggesting you disconnect the 02 sensors and see if fuse 13 stops blowing.
I have been trying to disconnect the O2 sensor for about an hour to no avail. You should just have to press on the tab and pull right?
Old 02 Jun 2017, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
If the harness above the passenger side front tire is ok, pull out the inside fuse box to the left of the steering wheel...there have been many posts where wires are melted together.
Just by peeking in there, the compartment that houses the fuse box inside has a little bit of rust. I'm assuming that isn't a great sign? Anyway, the wires all look fine, especially the RD/WT wire, which is the one connected to fuse 13 under the hood.

Last edited by gkrieg; 02 Jun 2017 at 10:24 pm.