2007 2.4L Non-Turbo - Timing Belt Keeps Breaking

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2017, 11:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 2007 2.4L Non-Turbo - Timing Belt Keeps Breaking

Help!

Hello Everyone,

We have an '07 2.4L non-turbo where the timing belt broke at 130K miles.

My wife loves her car and I have a some love for it too.

I replaced the timing belt (entire kit, water pump, etc.) months ago but never drove the car. I stopped and started the car several times then troubleshooting an AC leak. The belt broke after a few hours of running.

I bought a new belt and installed and tensioner pulley, because the belt seemed to slide out of alignment while turning the motor by hand.

After the new belt and tensioner were installed and torqued to spec, I drove the car for almost 300 miles. It sounded good, and felt strong... Then bang...
The belt broke again.

I was planning to do a compression test to see if a valve was bent, but I was so excited the car was running, I never got around to it.

Any Ideas?

Your help is appreciated!
Old 09 Jun 2017, 11:32 pm
Banned

Default Re: 2007 2.4L Non-Turbo - Timing Belt Keeps Breaking

What brand of belt are you buying?
Old 09 Jun 2017, 11:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you sure you are getting the tensioner set right? It almost sounds like it may be set too tight. It almost has to be that or one of the cams is binding like you suspect due to the valve train.

If me, I'd remove the valve cover and the camshafts. I'd inspection the journals and make sure the cams turn easily without the rockers installed. I'd then install the rockers and turn the cams by hand to check for binding. If all was good I'd install a new belt and new tensioner and I would get someone else to "check my work" when it comes to getting the tensioner adjusted right. It's hard place to see what's going on. A second set of eyes can be very valuable.

Once the new belt and tensioner are on, I'd then do my compression check before buttoning everything back up. Of course, I'd also start and run the engine like that too to assure all's good before closing her back up.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 01:30 am
Senior Cruiser

When installing the timing belt do you use any tools to stretch the belt on?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 10 Jun 2017, 06:37 am
Regular Cruiser

This is an interesting question. I don't see how anyone could not use some tool to force the belt on. I was never able to do it without the use of a slightly modified lug wrench smoothed over on the flat end.

What did the belt look like at the break?

RVC

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles
Old 10 Jun 2017, 07:30 am
Senior Cruiser

JoeX might have hit on it. If you are forcing or prying the belt on with a "tool" of some sort, you could be damaging the belt. The last pulley to go over when installing the belt is the tensioner. It is smooth and runs on the back side of the belt. It's a snug fit, but it will go without the use of any tools with the exception of the wrench you are using to pull on the tensioner. What ever the cause, it hate it for you, replacing the TB is a PITA! On the positive side, you are now experienced and can probably replace it in half the time!

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 10 Jun 2017, 08:35 am
Young Cruiser

rceinkst - I bought the Gates kit and installed it. When the belt broke again, I bought a belt and tensioner from Chrysler

Handy_Cruiser - Yep. The tensioner was set where the wire was lined up in the lowest recessed part of the indicator on the bracket. It moved slightly after I turned the motor by hand, but was still in the lowest recessed part. I will take pics when I pull it apart again to see where it is now.

I think you may be on to something regarding the cams. They were hard to turn while installing the belt. I thought it was the resistance of the springs or compression (I left the spark plugs in place).

I will try to have someone check my work this time. As a matter of fact, I will use this thread as I go through it again. You can keep me in line.

JoeX - Do such tools exist?!?! It is a mother getting that belt on. What I do is, once the belt is around the water pump and both cam gears, I turn the crank and the cam gear on the slightly to give me a little room. I then set the tension followed by turning the motor over a few time to check the timing and belt alignment. I then make sure the tensioner is still with in spec. The last time I reset the tension a few times. It was within tolerance but I wasn't happy with that.

RVC - See above. No tools, but I cheated a bit. It is a little difficult to do working alone but it worked perfectly. I had to securely hold the belt in place while turning the cam and crank, while make sure the cam doesn't jump a tooth. Trust me... It took me about 7-8 attempts, but when it is done... victory dance time!

This is what the belt looked like after the first install. It was shredded and teeth from the belt were missing. Notice how it appeared to slide forward. I assumed it was a bad tensioner. The missing teeth in the belt makes me believe something locked up; (cam???)

I will take more pics when I pull the cover off again.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 09:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCrews View Post
rceinkst - I bought the Gates kit and installed it. When the belt broke again, I bought a belt and tensioner from Chrysler

Handy_Cruiser - Yep. The tensioner was set where the wire was lined up in the lowest recessed part of the indicator on the bracket. It moved slightly after I turned the motor by hand, but was still in the lowest recessed part. I will take pics when I pull it apart again to see where it is now.

I think you may be on to something regarding the cams. They were hard to turn while installing the belt. I thought it was the resistance of the springs or compression (I left the spark plugs in place).

I will try to have someone check my work this time. As a matter of fact, I will use this thread as I go through it again. You can keep me in line.

JoeX - Do such tools exist?!?! It is a mother getting that belt on. What I do is, once the belt is around the water pump and both cam gears, I turn the crank and the cam gear on the slightly to give me a little room. I then set the tension followed by turning the motor over a few time to check the timing and belt alignment. I then make sure the tensioner is still with in spec. The last time I reset the tension a few times. It was within tolerance but I wasn't happy with that.

RVC - See above. No tools, but I cheated a bit. It is a little difficult to do working alone but it worked perfectly. I had to securely hold the belt in place while turning the cam and crank, while make sure the cam doesn't jump a tooth. Trust me... It took me about 7-8 attempts, but when it is done... victory dance time!

This is what the belt looked like after the first install. It was shredded and teeth from the belt were missing. Notice how it appeared to slide forward. I assumed it was a bad tensioner. The missing teeth in the belt makes me believe something locked up; (cam???)

I will take more pics when I pull the cover off again.
Its Joe-- Without being there when the belt was installed no one can guess how each person struggles to get the belt on the last pulley. Your picture shows the fender side damaged which leads me to believe the tension pulley was not adjusted correctly or came loose giving the belt enough slack to climb the front edge of the crank pulley flange destroying the belt. If the teeth on the belt were off too from a cam not turning or locked up I don't thinkthe cam or head would be usable again

Is it possible the tension-er bracket was not flush against the block?
73 Charger SE
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip

Last edited by JoeX; 10 Jun 2017 at 09:30 am.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 10:09 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Its Joe-- Without being there when the belt was installed no one can guess how each person struggles to get the belt on the last pulley. Your picture shows the fender side damaged which leads me to believe the tension pulley was not adjusted correctly or came loose giving the belt enough slack to climb the front edge of the crank pulley flange destroying the belt. If the teeth on the belt were off too from a cam not turning or locked up I don't thinkthe cam or head would be usable again

Is it possible the tension-er bracket was not flush against the block?
Hi Joe. Yes, it is very possible that the tensioner bracket was not flush. When I was installing the belt this last time, I noticed the belt sliding off of the tensioner as I was turning the motor by hand. I then replaced the tensioner. After putting a second new tensioner on, the belt rotated evenly.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 10:35 am
Senior Cruiser

I bought a pt with a bad engine and the one I bought from the local yard had about 60k . I got pictures to prove that the tension-er had not been adjusted at the factory.... Belt was good but I replaced everything before I installed the motor.
73 Charger SE
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip