PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT starting issues when hot outside

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2017, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT starting issues when hot outside

Hello fellow cruisers, I've been driving a 2006 PT Cruiser, 4 door, non turbo, for the last 6 years and I'm around 120000 miles now. I've also lurked around these forums for help like when my timing belt broke last year. But now I have an issue which is liable to drive me bonkers if I can't get it fixed.

The issues started towards the end of summer last year. Basically, the pt cruiser will have issues starting when the ambient air temperature reaches 75 degrees Fahrenheit. I'll turn the key, hear the fuel pump, and the starter will make no effort to turn over. Then if I give it about 20 seconds I can turn the key again and the starter will turn over immediately. However, the air temperature where I live is now hitting 90 degrees every day and the car refuses to start unless I short the power supply to the solenoid on the starter while someone holds the key. This results in me only being able to drive regularly at night.

I've checked the starter relay, the one on the fire wall on the right side and it changes state every time I turn the key. I even swapped it out with a fresh one just in case and conditions did not improve.

I've gotten a fresh battery from auto zone since the one I had in my car was under warranty, corroded, and worn out after so many start attempts. The conditions did not improve.

I've pulled out my starter and had it tested, the guy ran it 5 times consecutively without issue, still not certain if the starter can be ruled out as the issue though.

With the starter pulled out, I've went ahead and cleaned the terminal for the solenoid which was a little greasey. The wire which connected to the solenoid terminal was really greasey, so I've been trying to clean it out.

As a just in case before I put my car back together again I wanted to check for continuity where I thought the wire which went to the terminal would return to so I would know for certain if there was an issue. Using the Haynes manual for cruisers, chapter 12 page 23, and the diagram on the relay, I established that the slot where terminal 87 went into would be B1 which according to the wiring diagram then goes to the solenoid terminal. But when I checked using my multimeter, it said there was an open. I also checked B1 to ground and there were about 50 ohms to ground.

So, before I go and completely tear apart my wires in an attempt to find out exactly how it works or if I somehow have a simultaneous ground and open can someone tell me if I am either going about this the wrong way or where the wire coming from the starter terminal actually goes?

And I wasn't certain where this could go in the wall I just made, but there was one more condition where I was able to start the car when the temperature was hot out. I wanted to see if the terminal was getting any voltage at all when it was hot out, so I had someone else hold the multimeter on the solenoid terminal and the other end to ground and the car started up the instant I turned the key. This was repeated 3 times.
rckstein likes this.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT starting issues when hot outside

Welcome to the forum.

When it does not crank does the OBDII Scan Tool still communicate with the PCM?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Jun 2017 at 03:53 pm.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 03:41 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum

Seem to be so many problems being posted lately involving the '06's.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 04:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Welcome to the forum

Seem to be so many problems being posted lately involving the '06's.
I used to post the same statement but other members that have a 2006 Pt Cruiser would defend that year Pt Cruiser so I didn't post it anymore.
LionPT likes this.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Welcome to the forum.

When it does not crank does the OBDII Scan Tool still communicate with the PCM?
Thanks for the warm welcome. I also have noticed quite a few complaints about the 06, the way everything fits together warps my brain.

I do not have the scan tool nor did I borrow one. But at this point in time I've cleaned and tested the starter solenoid wire when in the start position and I'm getting the full 12 volts in 90 degree weather. So I'm going to get it back together and see if it starts again. If it refuses to start still I will get one and check that.

I'll be back sometime this evening.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 04:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I used to post the same statement but other members that have a 2006 Pt Cruiser would defend that year Pt Cruiser so I didn't post it anymore.
My '06 has had its fair share of problems recently (transmission, cooling system) but I guess that's to be expected as they grow older
Old 10 Jun 2017, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I was in the process of getting everything put back together. After I put the starter back in I wanted to see if I could turn the car on for just a moment, starter didn't crank. I proceeded to check the wire which I checked earlier and now once again there is no voltage flow coming from it. I'm basically at a loss now.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 05:34 pm
Banned

Do you have a copy of the Chrysler Service Manual, may be a little more helpful and complete than the Hayne's manual?

If you want a copy, please PM me your email address and I can send you my Dropbox link for it.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Do you have a copy of the Chrysler Service Manual, may be a little more helpful and complete than the Hayne's manual?

If you want a copy, please PM me your email address and I can send you my Dropbox link for it.
I do not and would like it, I've sent a pm your way.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 05:46 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4259 View Post
I do not and would like it, I've sent a pm your way.
I sent you links to the Service Manual (includes wiring diagram), Parts Catalog and Owner's Manual.

Tags
ambient temperature, starter