Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Out of gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2017, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Out of gear

I have a 2004 turbo. I drove it about 200 miles and it started losing power. After letting it sit awhile. I took off again. After 3 miles it did the same thing. I had it TOWED to TIRES plus. They told me that a belt was slapping against a sensor and shutting down the motor. After replacing the belts, They called and said the computer was bad, so I told them to do that. They called and said the car was ready to go. I didn't even get out of there parking lot and the check engine light came on. I took it back, and they said the code was reading transmission solenoid, but that wouldn't effect ME driving it, so I left and GOT about 100 miles and it just jumped out of gear. I stopped and cut it off, Then restarted it and put it in gear, it would run about 40 mph, but was teaching about 4000. It seems to be stuck like in 2nd gear. I had it TOWED home and I have no idea what to do and my money is now short. I hope someone can point me in the right direction on what to do THANKS.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Out of gear

Welcome to the forum

WELCOME and Forum Rules

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We encourage all new members to say hello and introduce yourself to the rest of the community by starting a post in the Welcome New PT Owners thread at the top half of the forum.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 Jun 2017, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest the getting an OBDII Scan Tool and find out what codes you are getting if your engine light is on. If you don't have one check to see if one of your friends or neighbors has one you can borrow if you can't afford one. Before buying an OBDII if you don't have one if you have an transmission repair shop in your area that is close by they usually offer to get the trouble codes for you for free and you can post what the codes are. You need to find out if you have engine trouble codes as well as transmission trouble codes. The OBDII Scan Tool will only give you a generic P0700 code for the transmission if there is a problem with the transmission and this is why it's important to take it to a transmission repair shop where they can give you the actual transmission codes. After you post what the codes are we can help give you an idea what the problem might be.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 11 Jun 2017 at 12:25 pm.
Old 11 Jun 2017, 12:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptfirst View Post
I have a 2004 turbo. I drove it about 200 miles and it started losing power. After letting it sit awhile. I took off again. After 3 miles it did the same thing. I had it TOWED to TIRES plus. They told me that a belt was slapping against a sensor and shutting down the motor. After replacing the belts, They called and said the computer was bad, so I told them to do that. They called and said the car was ready to go. I didn't even get out of there parking lot and the check engine light came on. I took it back, and they said the code was reading transmission solenoid, but that wouldn't effect ME driving it, so I left and GOT about 100 miles and it just jumped out of gear. I stopped and cut it off, Then restarted it and put it in gear, it would run about 40 mph, but was teaching about 4000. It seems to be stuck like in 2nd gear. I had it TOWED home and I have no idea what to do and my money is now short. I hope someone can point me in the right direction on what to do THANKS.
Welcome to the forum.

First, I wouldn't likely ever take a car with engine trouble to a tire shop. Folks that change tires, belts and hoses for a living will most often diagnose tires, belts and hoses to be the problem even if it isn't. Heart doctors and so-on to the do same type of thing. So this issue is not limited to mechanics.

There's a possibility that your problem is a damaged or frayed wiring harness. Intermittent signal loss or low quality signal from the crank sensor or cam sensor might give the symptoms you have. Your transmission is acting that way because it's thrown a fault code and is now in "limp home mode". A damaged wiring harness can do this as well. Purchasing and using a low-cost OBDII trouble code reader will likely help pin down which sensors are losing signal. Then just start there and inspect the wires all way back up to the plugs on the PCM. If you don't do this kind of diagnostics yourself, a good full service shop should be able to quickly run down a damaged harness on the engine. And if it's something different, they can likely find that too.