PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2000 lb goal

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2017, 06:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2000 lb goal

Title says it all trying to make the quickest na pt cruiser I can on a very low budget!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170609_123342.jpg (94.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 19 Jun 2017, 06:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2000 lb goal

What route to go on the engine??? High compression, nos, boost??
Old 20 Jun 2017, 06:54 am
Cool Cruiser

well you can only build the motor , put anything like nos or boost wouldnt make it na anymore..
ptprice and rob302 like this.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 07:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

if your car weighed only 2000lbs, you'd have the same power to weight ratio as a Toyota Venza, so u would likely run appx 15.2 in the quarter.

I'd find a better race car instead of ruining a pt.
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Several opinions here.

1. The N/A 2.4L engine can be competitively raced. Neon folks did it for many years. Forum member UptownSport did it. It's not a fools errand. There appears to be thousands of threads on how to do this on various Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth forums. It's just really time consuming and expensive to build one that's competitive.

2. The PT Cruiser is not the best platform to race. But from the racers I've known, they are an enigmatic crowd and they'd often rather race the type of car they love instead of one more likely to win the race. No shame in that since racing is pretty well a hobby for most that do it.

3. The introduction of the turbocharged 2.4L SRT4 engine (like used in turbo PT's) killed the need to try and go fast with an N/A engine in most applications. The turbo engine is a much better starting place for this and offers more power faster and cheaper.

4. Right now, turbo PT Cruisers are only slightly more valuable than N/A PT's. Like I did myself, many folks could easily sell their N/A PT and purchase a turbo PT for not much more than they get for their N/A. From a financial standpoint, starting with a turbo PT (preferably a 2004/2005 GT) is going to be MUCH better.

5. Weight reduction is very cheap and fun. Cutting the exhaust off is cheap and easy too. And adding a little "wet" NOS kit like NitroPT has and likes is relatively cheap as well. The OP could end up with something fun to race for not too much money as long as he understands he's not going to win lots of races against more serious racers. Again, racing is just a hobby for most. Why judge?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Jun 2017 at 12:14 pm.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 12:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When I said na I meant the car is a limited and not the gt. I am not opposed to boost or nos. Have a friendly wager with a friend. Made a bet that me and a few gesrheads could outrun his "big bad eclipse" with a $1000 budget. So i picked the car up for 200 bucks! The weight reduction is free. I know NOTHING about these cars. So the question I'm asking is where to spend the remaining 800 dollars?? Going up against a turboed eclipse that's got about 300 whp. Might be a challenge but that's the goal!
Old 20 Jun 2017, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Re: 2000 lb goal

Most sanction track rules you must still have doors (LOL), and if none then a cage which adds back to the weight.
SPLNEON (active member) has been doing the most aggressive weight reduction on any PT Cruiser and I would guess he may be close to 2900lbs....dry!

2000lb..... not likely to happen and still resembling a PT Cruiser

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Jun 2017, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysnowball View Post
So the question I'm asking is where to spend the remaining 800 dollars?? Going up against a turboed eclipse that's got about 300 whp. Might be a challenge but that's the goal!
Nitrous, Nitrous, Nitorius...

I never believe what people claim their whp is based on what they read on the internet.

I know what mine is and I know what I regularly do in the 1/4 mile....lol lots of sad faces when I do heads up and light up first.
svtnos likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Jun 2017, 12:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've got the interior 100% gutted. Planning to make a nice little sunroof (Leaving just enough roof for some structural suppprt) removing rear hatch, gas tank, going with a much smaller tank, power steering gone, alternator gone, remove heat and ac, Windows, exhaust, pretty much everything that doesn't make it move. This car has to make 1 quarter mile run down a county road.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 20 Jun 2017, 02:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysnowball View Post
When I said na I meant the car is a limited and not the gt. I am not opposed to boost or nos. Have a friendly wager with a friend. Made a bet that me and a few gesrheads could outrun his "big bad eclipse" with a $1000 budget. So i picked the car up for 200 bucks! The weight reduction is free. I know NOTHING about these cars. So the question I'm asking is where to spend the remaining 800 dollars?? Going up against a turboed eclipse that's got about 300 whp. Might be a challenge but that's the goal!
Sorry, but you just got the wrong cheap car to do this with.

I have a brother-in-law that's a graphic design artist. He had a turbo Eclipse back in the day. And yes, it will make that much horsepower with the engine tastefully modified and about $5,000 in add-ons. And it's a lot lighter and made for higher speeds. SPLNEON has done weight reduction and NOS in his turbocharged 2003 GT, and he actually races it and posts his times. I can't see that catching a well-built well-funded 300 hp Eclipse like my brother-in-law's in a fair equal fight. Even if you stripped your PT down to a shell and tied a rocket on the roof, I don't think you would catch it. And even if you could "chemically induce" enough power out of that 150 hp engine, the torque steer would likely send you spinning off the road.

But who knows for sure? The other guy's Eclipse might not be put together well and the 300 whp might just be boasting like folks do on the internet. So unless you can trade the PT for something that's easier to make fast, you might as well try it. I'll bet NitroPT can tell you the strongest shot of NOS you can get a way with since your PT doesn't have to live long. Just don't kill yourself in the process.