Bakerboy58

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Bakerboy58

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2017, 11:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bakerboy58

Hello all . I have just joined and hoping someone can assist with my tech inquiry.
I'm regional NSW based and have a 2000 Limited edition manual PT Cruiser.

I purchased the car with a blown head gasket and overheating. Therefore a head repair and machine. I now have a misfire timing prob, changed coil pack, crank trigger and still wont idle under 1300 rpm and missing as unburnt fuel is rich. engine management light remains on.
I ran into a fella in Tassie named PHIL who runs a workshop in Speyton TAS and he stated that due to machining the head it is likely that the bottom timing mark has rotated and not lining up.
He stated that the best fix is to purchase and modify a larger idler gear ( 3mm larger ) and adapt to the idler and this will modify the timing back to its original mark.

Does anyone know of this ? and if so what brand part would fit ?
He stated he cannot remember if he used a BMW or Subaru idler and modified in many years ago.

Hope this info helps as I've run out of options .
could it just be that the computer needs rescanning to rectify a fault from the original overheat prob ?

Cheers
Adrian
Old 22 Jun 2017, 12:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bakerboy58

Welcome to the forum.

We need more information about the engine.

Is this the first time the head has been taken off?

How much was machined off on the head?

How many miles on the PT Cruiser?

What engine trouble codes are you triggering?

How did you verify your timing is not off by one tooth when you put everything back on?
Old 22 Jun 2017, 08:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Welcome from Vermont!!!
Old 22 Jun 2017, 09:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerboy58 View Post
Hello all . I have just joined and hoping someone can assist with my tech inquiry.
I'm regional NSW based and have a 2000 Limited edition manual PT Cruiser.

I purchased the car with a blown head gasket and overheating. Therefore a head repair and machine. I now have a misfire timing prob, changed coil pack, crank trigger and still wont idle under 1300 rpm and missing as unburnt fuel is rich. engine management light remains on.
I ran into a fella in Tassie named PHIL who runs a workshop in Speyton TAS and he stated that due to machining the head it is likely that the bottom timing mark has rotated and not lining up.
He stated that the best fix is to purchase and modify a larger idler gear ( 3mm larger ) and adapt to the idler and this will modify the timing back to its original mark.

Does anyone know of this ? and if so what brand part would fit ?
He stated he cannot remember if he used a BMW or Subaru idler and modified in many years ago.

Hope this info helps as I've run out of options .
could it just be that the computer needs rescanning to rectify a fault from the original overheat prob ?

Cheers
Adrian
Welcome to the forum.

If the deck on your head was shaved down so far as to impact valve timing, you have bigger issues. It's much more likely that one of the camshaft timing sprockets is one tooth off. If me, I'd put the top dust cover where I can see the sprockets. I'd then remove #1 spark plug and use a dial gauge to get the engine to top dead center on the compression stroke. Then I would check my timing marks. If I removed the valve cover, I should also see the timing dowel holes between cyl. #1 and #2 straight up on both cams. Because of the way the rockers push against the cam lobe, the exhaust cam does not like to rest that way. And it's very easy to get it one tooth off.

Also, an oversized timing sprocket is not available for this engine as far as I know. Variable sprockets are, but it would be cheaper to just go to a salvage yard and pull a good head from one of the tens of thousands of 2001/2002 PT's that are in salvage yards now. It's the most common and numerous car at many salvage yards.

But again, check the timing first as I described. That's going to be more likely. Other items that might cause your symptoms might include a broken cam sensor magnet. Bad cam sensor. Damaged cam sensor/crank sensor wiring. Vacuum leak. Bad plug wires. Damaged ignition coil. Bad compression on one or more cylinders.

It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech and own an ASE registered company (with the sign from ASC and all), I primarily work as a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation.
JDK52 and Bakerboy58 like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Jun 2017 at 09:11 am.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum
So far looks like you are getting pretty good suggestions?

hmmm....I can always tell when someone is using the internet for pre-response help!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Jun 2017 at 10:22 am.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 04:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the GREAT state of Texas!

Wee Jasper, New South Wales is a FAR bit from these parts!

You may not have as many Cruisers in your salvage yards. You may not have many salvage yards.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 22 Jun 2017, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks et everyone , I'm back in the shed so I shall start with suggestions. Cheers.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.