PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT - Speedo issues

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2017, 03:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 2001 PT - Speedo issues

Hey all, I've got a weird one here. 2001 NA - 5-speed car. It's been apart for about 4 years. After getting it back together, the 1st couple test drives went ok. Then the speedo just kinda stayed on zero most of the time, but randomly jumps up. Thinking it was the sending unit, I replaced it. Same problem.

The odd thing is that it will jump up to way over 120 mph causing the computer to shut off the engine. (I'm guessing an overspeed program.) I started thinking it was the speedo itself, but realistically it's only showing what the PCM tells it to. Correct?

Any thoughts??

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!
Old 22 Jun 2017, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT - Speedo issues

Are you getting any trouble codes and what are they? And did you change the sensor on the right or the left. There are two similar sensors on the transmission. The one on the far driver's side is the output sensor that you would likely need to change if that's the problem.

Also, perform this test:

Quote:
STANDARD PROCEDURE - SELF-DIAGNOSTICS

To put the instrument cluster in Self-Diagnostic Mode, press the trip reset button down and then turn the ignition to the ON position simultaneously, then release the button. The gauges will increment to selected stops and all indicators will light with the exception of liftgate ajar and fog lamp indicators. The oil lamp will come on when the ignition is turned ON and the engine is OFF. Refer to the proper Body Diagnostic Procedures manual if one or more indicators don't light, or a gauge does not appear to be functioning correctly.

NOTE: If a vehicle/instrument cluster is received with the instrument cluster gauge pointers on the wrong side of the pointer stops, momentarily remove the M1 fuse, located in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) in the engine compartment, then replace. The gauge pointers should then step through the scales and then sweep back to the proper side of the pointer stops

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Jun 2017 at 03:57 pm.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 04:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Are you getting any trouble codes and what are they? And did you change the sensor on the right or the left. There are two similar sensors on the transmission. The one on the far driver's side it he output sensor that you would likely need to change if that's the problem.

Also, perform this test:
I'll try the test this evening. No error codes.

I'm pretty sure there's only the (1) sensor on a 5-speed trans. It looks like it reads off of the passenger side axle, the gear that drives kinda clips on and hangs down into the tranny.

Old 22 Jun 2017, 04:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the cluster and the output sensor is good pull the speed sensor back out of the transaxle and with a helper watching the speedometer with the key on, give the speedometer gear a 'flick' to turn it quickly. The speedometer needle should jump. If it jumps, then the sensor, wiring, ECU and speedometer are OK.
There is a white nylon speedometer worm drive gear on the differential that drives the gear on the sensor. The nylon gear may have broken.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Jun 2017 at 04:09 pm.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 05:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
If the cluster and the output sensor is good pull the speed sensor back out of the transaxle and with a helper watching the speedometer with the key on, give the speedometer gear a 'flick' to turn it quickly. The speedometer needle should jump. If it jumps, then the sensor, wiring, ECU and speedometer are OK.
There is a white nylon speedometer worm drive gear on the differential that drives the gear on the sensor. The nylon gear may have broken.
I'm pretty sure the gear is ok, I had it pulled up as far as I could to look at it. It fell down and flipped over when I finally got the speed sensor out, so I had to finesse it back into place before I could put the new sensor in. The bad part is, you can't get the drive gear out through the hole. It's too big...

Old 23 Jun 2017, 08:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Well the gauge test seemed to pass ok. I'm thinking a wiring or PCM issue at this point.

Old 23 Jun 2017, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Remove a reconnect electrical plugged on the PCM any thing that looks to be part of the system. Check for wiring damaged from being chewed on.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Jun 2017, 10:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDucky View Post
I'll try the test this evening. No error codes.

I'm pretty sure there's only the (1) sensor on a 5-speed trans. It looks like it reads off of the passenger side axle, the gear that drives kinda clips on and hangs down into the tranny.

drive gear is on the right (yellow, on the differential)
driven gear can be seen on the left case half (red)

here's the inside view from when i cracked mine open:

i would be more inclined to suspect wiring or the cluster, possibly just an issue with the electrical socket where the gauge cluster presses into in the dash, if the wiring at the trans seems ok
Old 23 Jun 2017, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
drive gear is on the right (yellow, on the differential)
driven gear can be seen on the left case half (red)

here's the inside view from when i cracked mine open:
http://oi41.tinypic.com/5vrgxk.jpg

i would be more inclined to suspect wiring or the cluster, possibly just an issue with the electrical socket where the gauge cluster presses into in the dash, if the wiring at the trans seems ok
+1

Rob makes a great point. That 1st Gen PT instrument cluster connection is especially wonky and prone to corrosion. Simply removing the cluster, cleaning the contacts and then re-seating the cluster might do the job. It's worth trying anyway if the cluster self-test turns out okay.
Old 23 Jun 2017, 11:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Wow, that picture would have been real handy when I was fishing around in there trying to figure out how that gear needed to be aligned...

I did have the dash out to change out some bulbs, I'll reseat the dash connector, as well as the PCM connector and see what happens.
rob302 likes this.