Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Single Mom taken for a ride? Do Tell!!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2017, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Single Mom taken for a ride? Do Tell!!

I took my 02 limited edition to the shop because since my friend changed the shifter bushings, my car would not start. The shop said it was a broken piece of metal in my ignition and needed to replace the steering column for over $500. I researched this part and came to find that the steering column DOES NOT need to be replaced, only the "ignition actuator pin" at most auto part stores $40. so when I called the shop on their claim of replacing my steering column, the guy just goes yeah, yeah, ok. We called everywhere and nobody can buy that part alone. I went to the auto zone right across the street from the repair shop and bought the part. Brought it back and he says ok thank you. I was like, these guys are just trying to take advantage of a female they think dont know Sh**.
So they call me the next day and say, its done and starts and come get it. I get there and the bill is $200 (and I provided the part) and the guy says "its all good but you still have warning lights on your dash coming on and I said I didnt have ANY dash warning lights on before I brought it here and he hooks up the code reader, says he cleared the codes/lights and Im good to go. So I drive off, get home (2 mi. away) and notice my A/C blows only hot air. I go back and he says I have NO freon. I said my A/C worked fantastic before this, what happened? Whats the connection? He wants me to pay him another $100 to put freon in my car. I LOST IT. Anyone have an opinion??
ptprice and Gkon like this.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 09:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Single Mom taken for a ride? Do Tell!!

Yah, I have an opinion. You're definitely getting ripped off. You need to find another shop. Even if this clown was charging $100 per hour labor, your bill should have only been that much. That's an hour job for any experienced mechanic, at best. No reason for there to have been any trouble codes except that he unplugged some stuff. And the freon? No, again. He's either unplugged a relay or removed a fuse or drained your system. Personally, I'd be getting an attorney involved about now and suing his sorry ass.
ptprice and Gkon like this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 10:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest if the engine light comes on to go to a auto parts store and have them give you the codes and post here so we can help you find the problem.

If the engine light does not come on I would call the owner of the original shop and ask him how the A/C got to be not working and post here what they say.
ptprice likes this.
Old 23 Jun 2017, 01:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

I would suggest adding a location to your profile. There are many helpful people here scattered all over.
Old 23 Jun 2017, 04:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

When I went to pick up my car after he installed the new ignition acuator pin, he hooked up a code reader under my dash and said he cleared the codes and now the abs, check engine and another light were all gone now. He said it must have been the AAA towing who caused those lights if he towed it to them with the key in the ignition but that its all gone now and im good to go. Of course until I drove it home and the a/c was blowing like a straight heater but no dash lights had come on again since he cleared them but then I only drove 4 miles home and back to shop to find out what happened to my a/c.
He said let me look at it, came back and said I had no freon. I said where did it go? My a/c worked beautiful before I came here and he said how do i know your telling the truth? I said when you fix the things that were not wrong before, let me know and I left.

Would an a/c issue put out a code??

Last edited by dsent2; 23 Jun 2017 at 05:55 am. Reason: additional question
Old 23 Jun 2017, 06:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsent2 View Post
When I went to pick up my car after he installed the new ignition acuator pin, he hooked up a code reader under my dash and said he cleared the codes and now the abs, check engine and another light were all gone now. He said it must have been the AAA towing who caused those lights if he towed it to them with the key in the ignition but that its all gone now and im good to go. Of course until I drove it home and the a/c was blowing like a straight heater but no dash lights had come on again since he cleared them but then I only drove 4 miles home and back to shop to find out what happened to my a/c.
He said let me look at it, came back and said I had no freon. I said where did it go? My a/c worked beautiful before I came here and he said how do i know your telling the truth? I said when you fix the things that were not wrong before, let me know and I left.

Would an a/c issue put out a code??
No it wouldn't.
Check the plug that goes to the compressor, they are not really that sturdy.
ptprice likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 23 Jun 2017, 06:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

if it is out of Freon it had to go some place there should be no conection between the steering wheel and the AC
Old 23 Jun 2017, 12:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

can you tell me where that plug is located so I can check it myself?
Old 23 Jun 2017, 01:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsent2 View Post
can you tell me where that plug is located so I can check it myself?

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 23 Jun 2017, 02:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Definitely sounds like they are scammy. And I don't see how the work they did of have anything to do with your a.c..

I've had shops try and scam me, too, and I'm a man, so gender doesn't always play into it.