Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Sensor Issue/Question

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2017, 10:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX
Default Oil Sensor Issue/Question

Since I do agree with rob302, I figured I'll start my own thread.

For the past couple of months when I come to a stop. My N/A engine idles rough, like when you lift the clutch out while in gear. But mine is an automatic. Example will be when I come to a stop, the my RPM will dip to about 500. It doesn't seem to be connected to the A/C since it does it even when it's off. One day last week, it actually stalled on me. Now every now and then when I start it, the oil light comes on. I checked the codes and I got the P0522. So faulty sensor yay. I already have the part on order to be sent to my house.

My two questions is, could the sensor cause that much trouble to the point it stalls out my PT? Also when replacing it, is it easier to go from the top or bottom to get to it?
Old 26 Jun 2017, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Sensor Issue/Question

throttle body cleaning
Old 26 Jun 2017, 11:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Someone else recommended that to me.

I took a look at it: picture here http://i.imgur.com/4y2W6VV.jpg

I didn't clean it because I noticed I was getting a code about the oil sensor and I've heard that thing if it goes bad, can do some weird things to your engine.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 11:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

with Nitro on the throttle Body cleaning but you also look into the TPS (Throttle Postion Sensor) and the IAC (Idle Air Controller). Each could cause problems if dirty and not working properly.

On your question on the Oil Sensor. It wouldn't seem like it could the kind of problems your having BUT, I stopped to help a couple ladies out with a Gen 1 cruiser at a light where the car stalled and wouldn't start again. Turned over but didn't start. Myself and another pushed the car to the side and I had her do the key trick (Actually she didn't get it and I had to do it for her) and the P0522 came up. After several tries, she finally called for a tow to the local Chrysler dealer right down the street. I stopped in a couple hours later and found the mechanic that worked on the car (she was gone) and he said he replaced the sensor and the car started right up. He said: This is apparently a "safety" feature on the PT Cruiser. If the oil pressure sensor does not read normal the computer will NOT allow the engine to engage. There is no way to bypass this.
ptprice likes this.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 11:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

That's the first I heard of that safety feature. When it stalled out, I was able to start it again just fine but the oil light came on. That is what it was leading me to the sensor. I posted on a PT facebook page and someone talked to me about the throttle body. I took a look at it but didn't do any cleaning since I didn't had anything to do it with. When I put it back on and started the PT, the light came on and when I did the key dance, I was finally able to pull a code.

I ordered a new sensor and it should be here either this week or early next. So when I replaced the sensor, I'll clean the tbody out. Hopefully that will be it. Also do you think it would be a good idea to put some canned air to the connectors to help clean it out?
Old 26 Jun 2017, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If the oil pressure sensor does not read normal the computer will NOT allow the engine to engage. There is no way to bypass this.[/I]
Not sure if this is actually true? I think that what will happen is that if you start the engine your will simply get the oil light activated.
I do see that one of the 2 leads does go into the harness as other things like F/I and then to the PCM but there is nothing that shows a no start if the oil sender fails only an oil light warning.

Many guys(girls) will use an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and not want to use the stock oil sender, oil light anymore. It has been reported on other MOPAR forums that grounding the lead from the oil pressure switch will prevent the oil light from being activated. But on a GEN1 PT Cruiser this may not be the case?
One member found that not using the OP lead in any way and simply turning the key to start position for a few seconds before starting the engine will not activate the oil light or generate any DTC.
He also did the grounding method and the oil light was still activated and the engine started.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 11:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

...just passing on what the mechanic told me (guess he wasn't ASE certified) BUT that's all he did to the ladies car and it started up and she was on her way.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 11:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
...just passing on what the mechanic told me (guess he wasn't ASE certified) BUT that's all he did to the ladies car and it started up and she was on her way.
I never mentioned anything about anyone's qualifications having to do with replacing or diagnosis a problem on this thread.
I will say myself that most times working on a variety of PT Cruiser that the oil light came on I did usually simply changed the oil pressure switch because the person of PT I was working on wanted peace of mind knowing they had a NEW part?
I have also noted that I have asked a few members randomly changing electrical parts they thought were bad because of a DTC to re-install the old part to see if the condition indicating by way of a DTC returned. Some reported that it did not. So was the part really bad or did the connector simply have a continuity issue one of being dirty?

Engines not starting are not always as clear as many think and sometimes when the Gremlins causing a no start return to the sate of a Mogwai (clearing DTC's, cleaning electrical connectors, letting the car just sit overnight(?) etc.) things go back to normal without having to change parts??
Old 26 Jun 2017, 12:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just one more question. Is it easier to get to the sensor from the top or do I have to go underneath to get to it?
ptprice likes this.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 12:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkAvengerX View Post
Just one more question. Is it easier to get to the sensor from the top or do I have to go underneath to get to it?
for me under the PT

UPDATE....
I was just told on a call this morning that after driving the PT with the oil sender wire disconnected even with the interesting starting sequence the oil light did finally activated and a DTC was found towards the OP.