Advertisements
P0032, P0038 & now P0202 codes - Car Shuts down

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2017, 11:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation P0032, P0038 & now P0202 codes - Car Shuts down

Hi Guys:

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible GT with the HO Turbo with the CEL coming on repeatedly and blinking and shutting down.

I have in the last 3 weeks had replaced:
Catalytic Converter
Upstream and Downstream Oxygen Sensor
Cam positioning sensor
Crank sensor (3 times)
AND ALL 4 fuel injectors

I have had the Tank dropped, the filter changed and the fuel system flushed.
ALL to no avail. EACH time they think it's fixed, I take it home and it starts it's shit all over again. It still reads the P0032 & P0038 Oxygen Sensor heaters aren't working.

Last year I had the Alternator, starter, battery and FINALLY the PCM replaced.
So, this issue has started happening well after the PCM was replaced.

The shop I had it at was not prepared to deal with this issue, so I then took it to a certified Chrysler dealership. They assumed it was a ground wire issue, had trouble isolating any break, clipped the wire and ran a dedicated one to the heaters. NOW this is throwing a NEW message P0202. They have disconnected the PCM and reset it several times, to no avail. Now they are chasing NEW crap.

This only has 73,000 miles on it and has had a crap tone of work done to it.
People are telling me to take a brick to it or dump it in the river and it's seriously starting to get me upset. I, as dysfunctional as this sounds, LOVE this car. And have been taking good care of it, and maintenance it regularly.

I am seriously distraught. The blue book value isn't worth the $$ I've put in it, but it's the love that matters.

PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY BABY

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Jun 2017 at 02:08 pm. Reason: family forum
Old 28 Jun 2017, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0032, P0038 & now P0202 codes - Car Shuts down

Welcome to the forum.

When you have a moment you might want to introduce yourself on the Welcome thread here on this forum.

I would suggest double check the #2 injector. If that injector is working properly I would check the wiring between the injector and the PCM. Some members have taken a direct wire between the injector and the PCM to see if that solves the problem. If not then I would suggest checking the PCM plug that has the #2 injector wire going to it. Make sure the #2 injector wire is making good contact at the PCM plug. Has the PCM been checked to be working properly?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 28 Jun 2017 at 12:12 pm.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: P0032, P0038 & now P0202 codes - Car Shuts down

Thanks for the advice! I will make sure to check in on the welcome thread later.

I don't know if the PCM itself was checked for proper functioning. I know it was disconnected and reset several times according to the service manager.

What are the signs of PCM malfunction or being faulty?
and the PCM plug check is a good idea! I've been reading about the injector circuit. If the injector is brand new, doesn't that rule out it being the injector itself?
Old 28 Jun 2017, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Thanks for the advice! I will make sure to check in on the welcome thread later.

I don't know if the PCM itself was checked for proper functioning. I know it was disconnected and reset several times according to the service manager.

What are the signs of PCM malfunction or being faulty?
and the PCM plug check is a good idea! I've been reading about the injector circuit. If the injector is brand new, doesn't that rule out it being the injector itself?
Was the P0202 triggered before replacing the injectors?
Old 28 Jun 2017, 01:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No, the readings BEFORE the install were:

P0201 Injector.cylinder 1
P0203 Injector.cylinder 3
P0032 Oxygen sensor heater
P0038 Oxygen sensor heater
P0501 Vehicle Speed sensor

...to be honest, I'm not sure they've told me if P0202 is the only reading they are getting...
Old 28 Jun 2017, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
No, the readings BEFORE the install were:

P0201 Injector.cylinder 1
P0203 Injector.cylinder 3
P0032 Oxygen sensor heater
P0038 Oxygen sensor heater
P0501 Vehicle Speed sensor

...to be honest, I'm not sure they've told me if P0202 is the only reading they are getting...
I would suggest taking the Pt Cruiser to an auto parts store and find out what codes you are currently getting. Also after recording the codes have them reset the codes and see if the same codes come back.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would take it to AutoZone, but it's still in the hands of the Chrysler dealership I took it to for the diagnostic and run down of the codes.

They are getting them and I'm kind of in the dark. For the past 2 days, they say "we'll call you" then don't and I'm calling only once before lunch and once by 3 pm when they say they will have an update. (try NOT to make myself a royal PITA).

So, in short, I have no access to the codes or the car.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Jun 2017 at 04:50 pm.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 04:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I would take it to AutoZone, but it's still in the hands of the Chrysler dealership I took it to for the diagnostic and run down of the codes.

They are getting them and I'm kind of in the dark. For the past 2 days, they say "we'll call you" then don't and I'm calling only once before lunch and once by 3 pm when they say they will have an update. (try NOT to make myself a royal PITA).

I had the same problem with the dealer one time and I just went to the dealer and told them I would not leave until they gave me the codes. As long as you are being billed for the diagnostic you have the right to know what codes are coming up.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Jun 2017 at 04:50 pm.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 06:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:

Call them every chance you get. The squeaky wheel gets greased first! It doesn't take that long to run codes on a car.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 09:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

You said the pcm has already been replaced once. From where did you acquire the pcm? The oxygen sensor codes are very common on turbo pcms which have failed or are failing. Now maybe you have a ground problem, and it is good they are checking it for you. It may be cheaper to buy a second pcm and try it, instead of hours of diagnostics which may yield nothing. The diagnostics may indicate a faulty pcm anyway. It's a gamble either way in my opinion. If you love the car and are considering keeping it for the long term, a spare pcm is not a waste of money; in my opinion. As well, you can always resell the pcm fairly easily on eBay if it isn't at fault.

I am on vacation now, but I return home at the end of July. I would be happy to test your old pcm for you and even the replacement(s) if you wish; for free, just pay back and forth shipping to/from me.
rckstein likes this.