Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
EGR Question Please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2017, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default EGR Question Please

I haven't been here in a while, but I'm hoping you won't hold it against me and help me with a question.

I have an 01, non turbo Cruiser that won't pass inspection due to the EGR system. It shows error code P0401.

I replaced the EGR valve and solenoid, but the engine light came back on along with the same code, after having the computer reset and driving it.

I just read online to unbolt the EGR valve and check the air flow, but the article didn't go into it any deeper and I'm not sure what exactly I'm listening for. I hear what sounds like an old school John Deere tractor, put, put, put, put, and I smell exhaust. Is this what I should be hearing? I was expecting a hiss, like a vacume leak, but like I said, I don't know.

I'd really appreciate it if somebody would give me an idea of what I should be hearing with the EGR valve removed. I'm not a mechanic and the only other thing I know to do is to try to clean out the port where the EGR valve bolts to the engine, if what I'm hearing indicates a problem there.

Thank You.

Last edited by hatchback; 28 Jun 2017 at 12:59 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 28 Jun 2017, 02:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: EGR Question Please

not sure about the sound, but i would make sure the vacuum lines to the egr transducer are all hooked up and are not hooked up backwards. also make sure the electrical connector is seated properly.

if you think the putt putt putt is an indicator of clogged stuff, stick something in the head and try to clean it out, then beat on the car a bit to blow it out and see if the "putt putt" sounds more balanced

IIRC last problem similar to yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
More than likely you attached the EGR valve right, but there's three vacuum lines on the EGR transducer. You may have mixed up the two that go on the same side, or more likely you just forgot to reattach the electrical connector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96realwe View Post
Problem solved forgot to hook up the vacuum hose on EGR hooked one on each side but missed the one on inside of the egr with 2 connnections thanks rob302

Last edited by rob302; 28 Jun 2017 at 02:54 pm.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 06:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: EGR Question Please

Rob, I had a friend that worked in a garage for several years check to make sure I had things hooked up right, and he said I did. Not that he couldn't be wrong, but I trust him more than myself when it comes to mechanic work.

Like I said above, I'd read that problem could be a clog between the EGR and the head and to check to see if it was plugged. My friend is camping for the next week and I can't reach him on the phone. Maybe he just doesn't want to be bothered.

I can't ask asked my friend what it was I was listening for, but I got the impression that it would sound like a vaccum hose that was removed. I'm not hearing that, so I wanted to ask here, so I know what to do. Like I said, a mechanic, I'm not.

Thanks for your reply Rob, I appreciate it.

Last edited by hatchback; 28 Jun 2017 at 06:40 pm.