PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Jolt from transmission downshifting into lower gear?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Jolt from transmission downshifting into lower gear?

Hello all,

You all have been quite helpful in the past, and I continue to be thankful there is such a forum for pt owners... as the car ages, and I get more and more accustomed to helping it remain our primary source of transportation, I continue to have questions and you folks are such a resource... with that in mind, geez... I have a new issue that I'm quite unfamiliar with.

The pt in question is a base '07, automatic trans, 87K miles. In the last couple weeks, it has begun to jolt some as it downshifts into what I believe is first... in other words, from a decent speed (let's say 30 mph or higher) into first, right before it truly begins to coast to a stop. No other moment during downshifting or upshifting does it even show any jolt, or shudder, and as a matter of fact, it does all that quite smoothly. It seems to be only when it begins to come to a stop, shifting into first.

Is the transmission finally showing signs of dying? Or is it possibly something else? Just looking for any thoughts or ideas at this point..... Thank You for any help anyone might be able to provide.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:20 am
Banned

Default Re: Jolt from transmission downshifting into lower gear?

Has the transmission ever been serviced (fluid and filter changed)?

You might want to go to a transmission shop and have them check to see if there are any stored error codes, there are some specific codes that pertain to the transmission.

Last edited by rckstein; 30 Jun 2017 at 09:24 am.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

About 2 years ago, yes, we did have both done. I'll have to go back through my papers to see the difference in mileage but time wise that seems about correct. And it isn't driven much at all, just one to two trips out of town a year, and other than that, just to work and back within town.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Would a transmission shop be the only ones able to check such codes, or can a parts store do that with their reader?
Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX

You can go and get the codes yourself. Here is how to it.

The exact procedure is to start with the key in the off position and the door closed. Turn the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON, leaving the key in the on position and without turning all the way to start. This most be done within five seconds. If done properly the odometer display will display codes. If the process is done properly and the display will not read out the code in the system the odometer will display either a 'done' message or dashes, ------, followed by the 'done' message. Some trouble codes are specific to Chrysler and even though the check engine light is on the self check may not display the codes and will need to be connected to a scan tool to retrieve the codes.

If you have any codes, write them down and put them up on here and we can tell you what they mean.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

My wife has the car at work right now, so I'll try to get codes by doing that (thanks!) or by having them read. I have to ask, is it odd that the jolt is only happening at a particular time, or should I not read anything into that at all?
Old 30 Jun 2017, 09:57 am
Banned

The "key dance" to get any codes is not always reliable, or sometimes if you get just a generic P0700 transmission code, you will need someone with more advanced equipment to pull any specific transmission codes that there may be.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 10:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

This is a long shot, but just in case.

When I first got my 09 Cruiser last year (w/90,000 miles), I was afraid the transmission was going kaput.

When I was coasting at 5-15 mph then pushed the accelerator, the car jolted as if there was something wrong with the transmission.

NitroPT pointed out that the lower engine mount (also called the torque strut) was shot. The upper and lower torque struts cost about $10 each and it takes about 15 minutes to replace and align them.

Bad strut:

You could test this yourself when the engine is off by trying to rock the engine forward and backwards from the top (it should not roll if the struts are good). You could also have someone pulse the gas pedal a few times while you are watching the engine run. If it rocks back and forth a lot, they need replacing.

YMMV
rob302 likes this.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 03 Jul 2017 at 12:03 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the help - I actually have not had a chance to try to get the codes, work was crazy this weekend. But I'm off for a couple days starting tomorrow and will try that code trick and post whatever I see here.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 05:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unfortunately, the code trick didn't work, or at least for me. Should I go ahead and take it to a dealership or parts store?