Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By Carnut
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2017, 09:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Question About R&R Camshaft Position Sensor

I'm googling and not finding anything that says about how long to wait to disconnect the battery cable to remove the sensor. But another youtuber says to wait an hour to let the battery "discharge" before using any tools inside the bay. I've never heard of such an admonition. Is this specific to PT Cruisers?
Old 02 Jul 2017, 09:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Question About R&R Camshaft Position Sensor

I'm going to be flying blind because I don't have a smartphone and don't have internet access other than here at home on the computer. If I make it to the autozone I will ask the guys if there is some kind of waiting period before tearing the guts out of the engine bay. If I don't make it back, I appreciate everyone's help so far! And if I do make it back, I'll post a video of how it went.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Re: Question About R&R Camshaft Position Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
I'm googling and not finding anything that says about how long to wait to disconnect the battery cable to remove the sensor. But another youtuber says to wait an hour to let the battery "discharge" before using any tools inside the bay. I've never heard of such an admonition. Is this specific to PT Cruisers?
About a minute! just because I dont want to argue with most DIY people and say you dont even have to wait that long.

If you want peace of mind about 3 minutes for the remembrance day we have all had of asking advise from Radio Shack.

Honestly..For what you are doing I have never disconnected the battery and I have changed most likely more then most?
Old 02 Jul 2017, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I should at least point out that the advised and recommended method for replacing any electrical part on a vehicle is to at least disconnect the negative battery cable.
LionPT and OldMiner like this.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 11:32 am
Regular Cruiser

And that's good advice because if I hadn't looked at the battery cables, I wouldn't have noticed the mountain of rainbow-hued battery acid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I should at least point out that the advised and recommended method for replacing any electrical part on a vehicle is to at least disconnect the negative battery cable.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 04:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hummm, since I am retired and don't drive much more than once or twice a week, all my vehicles set for quite a spell between drives.

So I have battery disconnects on all of them and they get disconnected immediately after being shut off and lifting the hood.

So far neither of my PT's has complained and the Batteries seem to be lasting longer.

ptc078.jpg
OldMiner likes this.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 02 Jul 2017, 04:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

I used to do that with my Chevy for different reasons but it was exposed, not under a breather box like my Cruiser. You have no breather box on yours? Is that turbo? I would d/c the battery on mine but it's not really accessible without moving mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
Hummm, since I am retired and don't drive much more than once or twice a week, all my vehicles set for quite a spell between drives.

So I have battery disconnects on all of them and they get disconnected immediately after being shut off and lifting the hood.

So far neither of my PT's has complained and the Batteries seem to be lasting longer.

Attachment 23208
Old 02 Jul 2017, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
Most folks will just disconnect the negative battery cable and then do the job. There's no reason to go through a discharge procedure for this.

If you would like a copy of the service manual for your PT. Here's some I've put in my Google Drive for easy sharing and download:

2001 thru 2005 PT
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

2006 thru 2010 PT
OldMiner likes this.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 06:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Holy cow that is a whole lotta PDF, and that's just the way I like to search through books. I have the Chilton manual but it's not anywhere near as detailed and the photos are as bad as my own photography! Thanks, Handy Cruiser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Most folks will just disconnect the negative battery cable and then do the job. There's no reason to go through a discharge procedure for this.

If you would like a copy of the service manual for your PT. Here's some I've put in my Google Drive for easy sharing and download:

2001 thru 2005 PT

2006 thru 2010 PT
Old 03 Jul 2017, 07:22 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

2001 thru 2005 PT

2006 thru 2010 PT
I have noticed this before on this version of the manual, not just from you but from other sources as well when I have found it, but does this version actually cover the '05 models as well? When you click on the link the title says:

2001-2004_PT_Cruiser-Service Manual.pdf

So again, does this manual actually cover '05 or is there a separate manual for the '05?