p0304 code returns

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2017, 10:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default p0304 code returns

Hey Guys, new to the forum.
I have an '08 2.4L Pt cruiser, 162,000 miles. Here's the problem: I keep getting the dreaded P0304 (misfire on cylinder 4). Everything I have replaced up to this point has been needed, but the code keeps coming back. I have replaced the upper and lower air intake gaskets as well as fuel injector gaskets, replaced spark plugs, coil pack (wasn't necessary, still have original), tested wires and fuel injectors (swapped positions and problem didn't move), PCV valve and hose, and have even replaced the cam sensor. Problem still returns. Idle is great and has been getting better with every repair. Any Ideas?
The only time the engine has a rough idle is when the Air Conditioning is on which is not really surprising. I have read that this may be a computer issue but I'm not ready to jump on that yet. Im doing a road trip in a couple weeks and would love for my car to be in tip top shape. Any help or advice would be great!
Old 02 Jul 2017, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: p0304 code returns

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to introduce yourself to the forum. Tell us about your Pt Cruiser.

You might have two separate problems.

Have you done an engine compression check on all cylinders?

Your radiator fan might not be working properly when you are turning on the A/C. I would suggest manually checking the radiator fan by disconnecting the fan plug and apply 12 volts to both speeds.
DS1 likes this.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: p0304 code returns

Well im a recently Graduated Music Education Major. Ive had my PT cruiser for 5 years now, got it second hand with 70,000 miles on it. My dad and I have done all the work the vehicle has needed since I got it. The most extensive of that work was a timing belt and evaporator core.

We haven't done a compression check. I haven't considered it because the car still runs great, and I'm not getting any smoke out of the tail pipe (and I don't have the equipment for that). The previously mentioned timing belt may raise a red flag but we did that 35,000 miles ago, and haven't had any issues.

As for the fan, I've never heard about that but will give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Not sure what else to put but whatever you need to know just feel free to ask.
I will say I love this car and plan on keeping it for a long time!