PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timothy Leary wishes he could get good acid like this

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2017, 04:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Timothy Leary wishes he could get good acid like this

I don't know where it's coming from but it looks like it's coming from the battery itself. It kinda looks like a bomb waiting to go off. Do you think somebody put some of that explosive putty around the positive post? Just kidding ... kind of ...

https://youtu.be/iSTsqHzPbfk
mrwade01 likes this.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 04:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Timothy Leary wishes he could get good acid like this

The PT batteries seems to grow funk on the terminals like it's their job!
OldMiner likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 02 Jul 2017, 04:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

ya but are they moonlighting at les schwab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
The PT batteries seems to grow funk on the terminals like it's their job!
Old 02 Jul 2017, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
I don't know where it's coming from but it looks like it's coming from the battery itself. It kinda looks like a bomb waiting to go off. Do you think somebody put some of that explosive putty around the positive post? Just kidding ... kind of ...

The white corrosion is lead sulfate and the blue/green is copper sulfate. You can see that it's wet on top of the battery. The battery could be loose and sloshing around while driving. Or the voltage regulator might be bad and overcharging the battery causing the battery to release acid gas. Or the battery itself could be bad and overheating causing the release. Or it could just be that the car sat for a long time without maintenance and overtime, acid gases escaped and caused this corrosion.

Pour a bottle of diet coke over this and it will go away. However, that doesn't fix the real problem if there is one.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 05:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've recently moved to a very hot and humid zone. I thought I bought the battery when first acquiring the car, but it was about a year later and I only bought it because it was a 5 year battery and it had reached 5 years. The old battery had no acid on it or any corrosion. And I've always bought batteries from Schwab, so for this car I did too. At the time, I was living in a much more temperate climate. Fast forward 3 years later and it's like living in the tropics only hotter and more humid. and no palm trees. hardly any trees at all. why don't people plant more trees in godforsaken hot places?

Any/all of the scenarios you mentioned could be accurate, Handy C. The car gets used just about every day... just not very far or for very long. And knowing I had Schwab check the battery at least a year ago and it was before moving to this heat zone, I am going to bet it's probably got something to do with this. But I'm going to find out tomorrow. I'm not going to do the cleaning thing, I'm going to buy a new battery and let Scwab play the hazmat game. I will be monitoring their batteries very closely after this!

Are there any codes related to voltage regulator or battery issues? I've never had any codes other than yesterday's 340 and previously, gas cap stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The white corrosion is lead sulfate and the blue/green is copper sulfate. You can see that it's wet on top of the battery. The battery could be loose and sloshing around while driving. Or the voltage regulator might be bad and overcharging the battery causing the battery to release acid gas. Or the battery itself could be bad and overheating causing the release. Or it could just be that the car sat for a long time without maintenance and overtime, acid gases escaped and caused this corrosion.

Pour a bottle of diet coke over this and it will go away. However, that doesn't fix the real problem if there is one.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 05:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Time to change battery brand. There are threads here about that. AC Delco won't cause corrosion. Going with a gel cell like an Optima is a good choice.
OldMiner likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 02 Jul 2017, 05:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

didn't even realize there might be better batteries for a Cruiser. Will search some threads. I still want Schwab to have to clean the mess. Only because ... well because their battery caused it! Is the Optima Red Top their brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
Time to change battery brand. There are threads here about that. AC Delco won't cause corrosion. Going with a gel cell like an Optima is a good choice.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 06:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post

WOW!!
OldMiner likes this.
Old 02 Jul 2017, 07:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've never seen battery acid that bad ... especially under my own hood! It's like something out of a horror movie. Can't wait to find out the cause. If it can be determined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwade01 View Post
WOW!!
Old 02 Jul 2017, 08:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't know nothing bout no Schwab.

I just saw your video. That looks normal for that type of battery with the age and no regular maintenance. It vents through the caps and any time it is charging, it will put off acid fumes. It needs a lot of cleaning and I still recommend changing to a different battery.

Three years, no corrosion.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Last edited by VsandFords; 02 Jul 2017 at 08:09 pm.