PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery Buyin'

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2017, 06:25 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Battery Buyin'

I've bought more than a few batteries in my lifetime. Never had one grow out the kind of infection I currently have all over my PT Cruiser battery. But then, I do have them tested periodically and I like to buy new ones BEFORE the old one does damage to the wiring and other components.

Today I have three choices for shops to use to replace this battery and probably the cables.

Dealer: miles away, risky getting there.

Pep Boys: Never used them before, but they are about a mile in one direction

Les Schwab: Always used them for tires and batteries, never had a problem with one of them until now, they are a little bit overpriced but I always liked the warranty and free tire rotation, brake check and battery inspection/check.

The other option is autozone but that is strictly DYI and as many of you may have gathered, I have a socket wrench set and screwdrivers etc but they are mainly for display in the toolbox.

Do any of you have any suggestions or rave reviews about any of the options other than the autozone choice?

PS I would like to get the best economy though I'm not "cheaping out" -- all of the 3 options likely provide similar products and services. I guess what I'm asking is if they all 3 charged the same thing, which shop would you use. And then if one is very expensive would you avoid it for that reason alone?

Last edited by OldMiner; 03 Jul 2017 at 06:36 am. Reason: Money actually IS an object! haha
Old 03 Jul 2017, 06:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Buyin'

Another question since I'm seeing some caveats regarding battery installation quotes ... does the PT Cruiser require the battery to be "electronically reset to the vehicle computer" which is an upcharge at some facilities?

Schwab charged $10 for the installation of the previous battery, and there's nothing on the invoice saying it has to be calibrated to the computer.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 07:23 am
Regular Cruiser

I've never heard of an Autozone that wouldn't install your battery for you.

Pepboys is OK, but the few times I've used them was too time consuming waiting wise.

You disconnect the battery to "electronically reset to the vehicle computer" not the other way around.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 07:34 am
Banned

If your battery cables need replacing, you're not going to find a generic set and the set for the Gen1 PT's the lowest is about $135:

MOPAR 04671631AE

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-1631AE-.../dp/B00MJ2C4JW

However, the battery cable set for the Gen2 is about $60. But the Gen2 set won't work on the Gen1, different configuration.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 07:42 am
Regular Cruiser

and 2004 is Gen1?

Also, is there supposed to be a blanket around the battery? I'm looking at the manual I downloaded from here and it shows a blanket. Mine is nekkid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
If your battery cables need replacing, you're not going to find a generic set and the set for the Gen1 PT's the lowest is about $135:

MOPAR 04671631AE

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-1631AE-.../dp/B00MJ2C4JW

However, the battery cable set for the Gen2 is about $60. But the Gen2 set won't work on the Gen1, different configuration.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 07:43 am
Regular Cruiser

True, but will they make the hazmat situation go away? They wouldn't let me try to do it in their parking lot yesterday :| Acid, acid, everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrak View Post

Pepboys is OK, but the few times I've used them was too time consuming waiting wise.

You disconnect the battery to "electronically reset to the vehicle computer" not the other way around.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 07:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrak View Post

I was at an AZ last night buying a cabin air filter for my daughter's 200. They were telling some guy that they would change the battery unless it was buried and required removal of other parts. Most of the conversation was in Spanish, so I couldn't follow it all. She specifically said they weren't "touching that Jaguar." There were only 2 people waiting and 3 cashiers and I was still there for 20 minutes. 2 minutes to find the part on the shelf and 18 minutes waiting to be checked out.
OldMiner likes this.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 07:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Also the zone advertises that they do free OBD2 checks. The guy came out to the parking lot holding the unit, and when I opened the car door he said I had to do it myself. So I did. But the tool doesn't display the codes, you have to take it back into the store and they retrieve the code. I guess they should really advertise that they loan the tool and watch you to make sure you don't walk away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I was at an AZ last night buying a cabin air filter for my daughter's 200. They were telling some guy that they would change the battery unless it was buried and required removal of other parts. Most of the conversation was in Spanish, so I couldn't follow it all. She specifically said they weren't "touching that Jaguar." There were only 2 people waiting and 3 cashiers and I was still there for 20 minutes. 2 minutes to find the part on the shelf and 18 minutes waiting to be checked out.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 07:53 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
and 2004 is Gen1?

Also, is there supposed to be a blanket around the battery? I'm looking at the manual I downloaded from here and it shows a blanket. Mine is nekkid.
'04 is considered a Gen1.

There is an insulating blanket for the battery:

MOPAR 05033354AA

NEW MOPAR OEM BATTERY THERMOGUARD COVER SHIELD 2001-2010 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER

Some places remove them and throw them away claiming that they trap heat around the battery, others swear by them as they keep the heat off the battery.
OldMiner likes this.
Old 03 Jul 2017, 07:56 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
Also the zone advertises that they do free OBD2 checks. The guy came out to the parking lot holding the unit, and when I opened the car door he said I had to do it myself. So I did. But the tool doesn't display the codes, you have to take it back into the store and they retrieve the code. I guess they should really advertise that they loan the tool and watch you to make sure you don't walk away with it.
Every place that I've ever used around me they (the auto parts employee) always does the code read. I suspect your experience was that probably at one time one of the AutoZone employees probably caused some damage to a customers vehicle and they had to pay for repairs. That's probably why they won't touch a vehicle, for liability purposes.
OldMiner likes this.