Advertisements
2002 PT Cruiser Shuts Off at High Speed

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2017, 07:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Cruiser Shuts Off at High Speed

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser 5 speed with ~242K miles. Lately it has been shutting off randomly while driving on the highway. With no warning the car shuts off. The way I know it is off is that the Tach drops to zero and when I step on the clutch I lose power steering. Nothing else shuts off. Radio keeps playing etc. After I coast for a bit and after several times letting the clutch back out the engine will re-fire and I continue my drive home. Doesn't do it everyday, never has done it twice in one commute. Seems to be worse if it's wet or high humidity out and warmer weather. Changed the coil and plugs and the car runs better but shut off again yesterday. I'm thinking Crank shaft sensor but when that went about 3 years ago the car would run on the highway and then shut off when I got off the highway and downshifted on the off ramp. When I stepped on the clutch it would shut off when the RPM dropped but when I let it back out it would re-fire. This seems different as it only happens at high speed. Check engine light is off. Last code was about 2 months ago when the EGR valve went. Anybody else experience this or have any other suggestions?
Old 06 Jul 2017, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser Shuts Off at High Speed

I would suggest checking the wire harness between the camshaft sensor and PCM. Its common for the 2002 Pt Cruisers to have the wire harness drop down and start rubbing on the half shaft or axle burning through the harness and shorting out wires.

Are you using an OBDII Scan Tool to check for codes?

If wire harness is fine I would check the wiring and the contacts going to the crankshaft sensor. Sometimes it doesn't give an engine trouble code.

If that is okay I would check the wiring and contacts going to the speedometer sensor (VSS). Check the sensor itself.

If the speedometer sensor is okay you need to check the instrument cluster. You might be getting a loss of communication between the instrument cluster and the speedometer sensor.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 06 Jul 2017 at 10:55 am.
Old 06 Jul 2017, 12:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser Shuts Off at High Speed

Some similar situations of shut-off on my 2004 5-speed were apparently caused by the oil-pressure sensor, and solved when said sensor was sorted out with a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman91b View Post
I have a 2002 PT Cruiser 5 speed ... about 3 years ago the car would run on the highway and then shut off when I got off the highway ... When I stepped on the clutch it would shut off when the RPM dropped ... Anybody else experience this or have any other suggestions?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.