• 2 Post By My02RedRide
  • 1 Post By My02RedRide
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2017, 07:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Suspension Questions '06 Conv. Turbo Lite

I'm not sure is someone has already posited this question, but I want to do something about the handling of my car. It's my only gripe with the cruiser, really. Does the Turbo lite already have factory sway bars? I know I can lower it and that would help, but can I add sway bars?
Old 07 Jul 2017, 07:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Suspension Questions '06 Conv. Turbo Lite

My non turbo 2008 did not come with a rear sway bar. Looking at a couple turbo cars at the local You Pick junk yard only the GT cars had a rear sway bar. Standard turbo cars did not come with rear sway bars. I ended up getting mine from a 2002 vehicle for a grand price of $17. A little clean up and truck bed spray paint making it look like new and install was a breeze. All rear mount points are on your rear axle already. I suggest lots of WD40 in your axle bolt holes or run a tap through them. The rear sway bar DID make a difference in handling taking curves fast.
Old 07 Jul 2017, 07:47 am
Banned

You most certainly can add a rear sway bar, the mounting points are still there even though there is no bar. I recently added one to my PT and love it, much less body lean when going into corners, wish I had put it on years ago when I first got my PT.

You can buy everything needed new but it could be expensive. I went to a salvage yard and got one off of a Gen1 PT for $20. Cleaned it up and gave it a new coat of paint. Getting one off of an earlier PT gives you all the bolts and fittings. I got new end links at O'Reilly and new rubber sway bar bushings off Ebay. So I'm into it for about $65 for a great ride improvement.

You might want to look under your 'vert and see if the mounting points for the bar are there. In the Parts Catalog, they only list the bar for the sedan:

Last edited by rckstein; 07 Jul 2017 at 07:53 am.
Old 07 Jul 2017, 02:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My 2008 convertible did not have a rear sway bar but all the mount points were there. The junk yard part had everything when I pulled it, bar, and end links. About a 1/2 hour later and was all mounted.
rckstein likes this.
Old 07 Jul 2017, 02:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by My02RedRide View Post
My 2008 convertible did not have a rear sway bar but all the mount points were there. The junk yard part had everything when I pulled it, bar, and end links. About a 1/2 hour later and was all mounted.
Makes a big difference doesn't it!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 07 Jul 2017, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabnormal View Post
I'm not sure is someone has already posited this question, but I want to do something about the handling of my car. It's my only gripe with the cruiser, really. Does the Turbo lite already have factory sway bars? I know I can lower it and that would help, but can I add sway bars?
From the factory, only the 2001 and some 2002 PT's came with rear sway bars. But the bolt holes are there on all of them. And Mopar made a set of Stage 1 front and rear sway bars that could be added to any. After market sway bars are also available. As an example, I added the sway bar and hardware from a 2001 PT on my 2005 GT.

The rear sway bar will not improve the ride. But it will help stabilize the rear of the car as has already been talked about.
rckstein likes this.