PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help! My bullet is falling short

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2017, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Help! My bullet is falling short

I just bought a 07 pt cruiser 4 cylinder (non turbo). The timing belt busted so we replaced that, water pump, both tenaioner pullys. Then the outter serpentine belt and tenioner. She would run but at 500 rpms and when ever i would try to drive it, it would die. We took it to autozone due to the engine light being on. Was told it was a mis fire and the crank shaft sensor. We replaced the sensor. Still wouldnt work. Replaced the plugs (soooo bad!!!) started and idled at 1k rpms! Thought we where in the clear. Was worried it wouldnt work (ive been working on this for over a month) so i killed it to replace a tail light and couldnt start it! So we bought new plugs. Had the battery charged and tested (took a hour) brought it home, wouldnt start or even roll up the windows!!! I dont understand. Even with out a alternator, if the batterys full it should start. Any ideas?
Old 09 Jul 2017, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Help! My bullet is falling short

Here are the spark plugs i took out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170709_103144.jpg (90.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20170709_101514.jpg (92.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20170709_101458.jpg (90.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 09 Jul 2017, 07:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

Please go to the new members section and start a thread telling us some about you a more about your Cruiser.

Since you bought it, has it run down the road? Did it have a bad timing belt when you got it? Sounds like there are other problems unknown until now.

The no start, sounds like a bad connection. Maybe a ground.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 09 Jul 2017, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sound like multiple problems.

First, if it never ran right after the timing belt job, I would suspect that it's not times correctly. That would cause all the engine issues you first experienced. The starting issue may be due to over-taxing the starter and battery to start the engine since it's timed wrong. If the battery tests good, check the battery terminals and leads. If not there, it could be the starter itself.

On the engine timing, if you are up for it, removed the spark plug from cyl. #1, use a dial gauge to get the piston all the way up on the compression stroke. This should be "top dead center". Now remove the top dust cover from the timing belt and check the timing marks. Chances are that one of the two sprockets is out of time by one tooth or so.

These suggestions are just guess work based on what your have written. If not up to the task yourself, find a good shop and let them sort it out for you.
cruserdad1976 likes this.
Old 09 Jul 2017, 09:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ive had it since march and it ran like a beauty. It was a "old lady car", had a older person smell and around 89000 miles when i got it. They (dealership) said they replaced the cooling fan.

2 months later and out went the belt. We tryed to run it and it kept running bad and dieing so we checked multiple times on it. The last time my step dad (whos been helping) made sure he had the timing right (first we where 180 off the 2nd time we where one tooth off)

once we got it right. the serpentine was slipping so we replaced it due to seeing cracks. It was obviously original. The harmonic balancer just wasnt in place causing the slippage bu better to replace now

We were able to get it to running enough to get to autozone to have it tested for codes. And once we got the new sensor it ran better but still a little choppy so we swit hed the spark plugs and wires but its almost like the battery isnt makeing a connection but it obviously is since the lights come on, but i cant even roll up the windows which wasnt a problem before the sparkplug switch. I was careful to do one at a time. I even got the platinum plugs to help with the running and made sure they where all set to 40g. I almost am wondering if we didnt pinch a wire when we removed the starter. (We hand texted the starter, it arked when i placed a metal bar on it but not enough to start)
Old 10 Jul 2017, 12:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest getting a voltmeter and check the battery voltage when you are trying to start the engine. Post what battery voltage you get.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 06:50 am
Veteran Cruiser

Take those junk sensors back to Autozone and see if you can get a refund. THEN go to the Chrysler dealership and get some Mopar sensors. I don't know how many people get screwed up by trying the crap that Autozone sells. Put your old sensors back in if you kept them and see if it'll start after the plug change. Check your ground connections on the drivers side fender. You'll need to pull the top of the air box in order to see them.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 08:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Jul 2017, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugerbugger07 View Post
Ive had it since march and it ran like a beauty. It was a "old lady car", had a older person smell and around 89000 miles when i got it. They (dealership) said they replaced the cooling fan.

2 months later and out went the belt. We tryed to run it and it kept running bad and dieing so we checked multiple times on it. The last time my step dad (whos been helping) made sure he had the timing right (first we where 180 off the 2nd time we where one tooth off)

once we got it right. the serpentine was slipping so we replaced it due to seeing cracks. It was obviously original. The harmonic balancer just wasnt in place causing the slippage bu better to replace now

We were able to get it to running enough to get to autozone to have it tested for codes. And once we got the new sensor it ran better but still a little choppy so we swit hed the spark plugs and wires but its almost like the battery isnt makeing a connection but it obviously is since the lights come on, but i cant even roll up the windows which wasnt a problem before the sparkplug switch. I was careful to do one at a time. I even got the platinum plugs to help with the running and made sure they where all set to 40g. I almost am wondering if we didnt pinch a wire when we removed the starter. (We hand texted the starter, it arked when i placed a metal bar on it but not enough to start)

Okay, let see what we know:

1. Bought PT with 89,000 miles. It is reported to have had a new fan installed.
2. Timing belt failed after two months. Belt replaced at home? Struggled to get it timed correctly. But father now believes timing is right.
3. Harmonic ballancer was not fully seated after timing belt job. Caused original drive belts to fail.
4. Engine runs poorly as described. Had codes read at Autozone, replaced cam and crank sensors.
5. After sensor replacement, engine improved by still "choppy".
6. Plugs and wires changed.
7. Battery seems weak and/or making poor connection.

First, make sure the engine ground strap was installed correctly. There's one that goes from the right top motor mount bracket to the chassis. This is often disconnected during the timing belt job. Next, assure the battery is fully charged and have it load tested at the parts store if you haven't already.

If no joy, perform a voltage drop test. Take a multimeter set to direct current volts (usually 20 volts). Put one lead on the negative battery post and put the other on the engine block. Watch the meter while cranking the starter for a few seconds. As the starter cranks over the engine, it should show less than around 0.25 volts on the meter. If it shows good, do the same thing between the positive battery terminal and the lug where the positive battery lead attached to the starter. Make sure to attached to the lug and not the battery lead terminal.

If you detect too much voltage drop, remove both battery cables, inspect and clean both ends on both of them.

Also, consider getting your own code reader. Here's a pretty nice one for $20 and free Prime shipping from Amazon. It will do 95% of everything the DIY guy or girl could need on a PT Cruiser. :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
chuzz likes this.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 01:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Help! My bullet is falling short

Hello and thanks everyone for all the replys, i cant go buy dealership pieces, due to money. This afternoon we are gonna try a diffrent battery to see if its a bad battery thats reading good. If not and we still cant even get the windows up we are gonna break it down and look for bad wireing. I believe we have a meter so i might try to read the volts as well

Tags
spark dead timeing