PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Got a different part number from MOPAR for a ECM

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2017, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Got a different part number from MOPAR for a ECM

So my ECM on my 05 GT Turbo SHO is dying. Dual ram channel 1604 code.
The part # is P5033 328AC. Still drives just fine for now.
I have been told that you have to keep the same part # and going to my local Autozone, they had bunches of different ECM for my model but not that one. A call to Cordone is a "R/R" repair rebuild.
So I go the Mopar site - and enter the VIN of the car and lo and behold they have a ECM P5033 292AD! And is says this part (in green) will fit your car.
Would this be an update? It says it replaces the previous 292AD part, not the 328AC... At $900 it better.

Is this a legit way to find the replacement part? How reliable is Mopar in this respect. Has anybody got any warnings about this?

Says guaranteed fitment.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 04:31 pm
Banned

Default Re: Got a different part number from MOPAR for a ECM

You can call any dealership and using the VIN for your PT, they can give you the correct and current part number for any part that you are searching for. You can then use their number to search online for the part.
Gkon likes this.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 07:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1964 View Post
So my ECM on my 05 GT Turbo SHO is dying. Dual ram channel 1604 code.
The part # is P5033 328AC. Still drives just fine for now.
I have been told that you have to keep the same part # and going to my local Autozone, they had bunches of different ECM for my model but not that one. A call to Cordone is a "R/R" repair rebuild.
So I go the Mopar site - and enter the VIN of the car and lo and behold they have a ECM P5033 292AD! And is says this part (in green) will fit your car.
Would this be an update? It says it replaces the previous 292AD part, not the 328AC... At $900 it better.

Is this a legit way to find the replacement part? How reliable is Mopar in this respect. Has anybody got any warnings about this?

Says guaranteed fitment.
PCM part numbers can be confusing. There is a hardware part number, an "original" part number for an unflashed PCM (number on the front the PCM that you are referencing) and the "software update" number on the side of the PCM. This number on the side is the one your want. On my 2005 GT automatic, this number was 05033410AF. There's a good chance it is the same number as yours.

If me, I'd start with forum member Myckee for a replacement PCM. He knows more about these than anyone and often keeps a stock of used PCM's. And he can flash your VIN into it so it will work with your SKIM system. You can send him a PM if you want. Here's a link to send him a PM:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...=newpm&u=46003

Otherwise you will need to search for a replacement by that software update number.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Jul 2017 at 08:01 pm.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 08:39 pm
Banned

I got a PCM from this Ebay seller:

Their NA PCM's are cheaper, but when you have a Turbo sometimes you gotta pay a higher price:

2004 2005 Chrysler PT CRUISER TURBO Engine Computer Module ECM PCM ECU PlugNPlay

All I did was provide them the VIN to my PT and they sent me a PCM that was a current upgrade to what was in my PT.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 05:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
PCM part numbers can be confusing. There is a hardware part number, an "original" part number for an unflashed PCM (number on the front the PCM that you are referencing) and the "software update" number on the side of the PCM. This number on the side is the one your want. On my 2005 GT automatic, this number was 05033410AF. There's a good chance it is the same number as yours.

If me, I'd start with forum member Myckee for a replacement PCM. He knows more about these than anyone and often keeps a stock of used PCM's. And he can flash your VIN into it so it will work with your SKIM system. You can send him a PM if you want. Here's a link to send him a PM:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...=newpm&u=46003

Otherwise you will need to search for a replacement by that software update number.
My number is 05033328AC. I split it up like the label with 328AC being in large font on the label.

That begs the question. If the PCM itself is a generic part and that number is the software update, why can't we just order a generic and have the software updated???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sticker.jpg (37.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by bulldawg1964; 12 Jul 2017 at 06:58 am. Reason: Add pictures
Old 12 Jul 2017, 07:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
My number is 05033328AC. I split it up like the label with 328AC being in large font on the label.

That begs the question. If the PCM itself is a generic part and that number is the software update, why can't we just order a generic and have the software updated???

No. That's not the number you want. That hardware number is for a number of different models. Use the software update number on the side. What number is that?

And generic hardware, yes. But there are hardware differences between some of them. If you went and bought a new PCM from a dealership today, the part number would be different. It likely would not even match 05033328AC but would be a special part number for replacement PCM's. That hardware would be for a number of car models but not all with NGC PCM. Then the dealership (or any shop with a Tech Authority account and the right equipment) would flash it with the 05033410AF or similar software update. Here's an early service bulletin on that:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/n.../18-006-04.pdf

Myckee can tell you more about compatibility of the different PCM's. And he may have one to sell you or can tell you the best source to get one. $900 is way too much.

Also, exactly how to you know that your PCM is bad?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Jul 2017 at 07:17 am.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 07:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

The check engine light is on throwing a 1204 code "dual memory..."
Old 12 Jul 2017, 07:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
No. That's not the number you want. That hardware number is for a number of different models. Use the software update number on the side. What number is that?

And generic hardware, yes. But there are hardware differences between some of them. If you went and bought a new PCM from a dealership today, the part number would be different. It likely would not even match 05033328AC but would be a special part number for replacement PCM's. That hardware would be for a number of car models but not all with NGC PCM. Then the dealership (or any shop with a Tech Authority account and the right equipment) would flash it with the 05033410AF or similar software update. Here's an early service bulletin on that:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/n.../18-006-04.pdf

Myckee can tell you more about compatibility of the different PCM's. And he may have one to sell you or can tell you the best source to get one. $900 is way too much.

OK, I read the service bulletin and I think I get it. I had thought that each ECM part number had it's own internal program. I see that generic unprogrammed are sent out and with special equipment they are programmed to the correct adjustments. I have attached a picture of the label on the side and a smaller label (probably just a stock number) that was on an edge. I didn't see a program label, but that would explain why no one seems to report having problems finding ECM. What I am having problems finding is the one with the right part number (like at AutoZone). According to that bulletin this was the generic part number for the last part of 2005. I'm sure when Myckee gets back to me he can enlighten me on compatible part numbers and help me get the one with the right software update. Thanks for the service bulletin, that was helpful in understanding the separation of the two pieces - part number and software update.

*edit* I just realized why in my original post MOPAR was saying that a part number (generic ECM) 05033292 was a fit: from the service bulletin it is literally the generic ECM from a few weeks prior to the generic ECM 05033328 in my car. My generic ECM was the last part number for that model year. Anyway, I am hoping that Myckee will be able to help me out in confirming what is the proper programming number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side.jpg (87.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg other sticker.jpg (82.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by bulldawg1964; 12 Jul 2017 at 08:09 am. Reason: re-read sevrvice manual
Old 12 Jul 2017, 08:04 am
Banned

Quote:
OK, I read the service bulletin and I think I get it. I had thought that each ECM part number had it's own internal program. I see that generic unprogrammed are sent out and with special equipment they are programmed to the correct adjustments. I have attached a picture of the label on the side and a smaller label (probably just a stock number) that was on an edge. I didn't see a program label, but that would explain why no one seems to report having problems finding ECM. What I am having problems finding is the one with the right part number (like at AutoZone). According to that bulletin this was the generic part number for the last part of 2005. I'm sure when Myckee gets back to me he can enlighten me on compatible part numbers and help me get the one with the right software update. Thanks for the service bulletin, that was helpful in understanding the separation of the two pieces - part number and software update.

*edit* I just realized why in my original post MOPAR was saying that a part number (generic ECM) 05033292 was a fit: from the service bulletin it is literally the generic ECM from a few weeks prior to the generic ECM 05033328 in my car. My generic ECM was the last part number for that model year. Anyway, I am hoping that Myckee will be able to help me out in confirming that it's ok to use the 292 version.
There isn't another sticker on the PCM that will have the last 6 digits of your PT VIN? If there is, that sticker should have another MOPAR part number on it.

Either way, myckee should be able to help you out.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 08:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Also, on that code. What is the letter in front of your 1204 DTC? If it's a "B", that's the passenger side airbag.