PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating Issue

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2017, 08:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Post Overheating Issue

So I bought a 06 PT Crusier in the Fall, and started driving it around January after getting everything handled I needed to with the car. One of the first times driving the car and it overheated, and ended up replacing a coolant temperature sensor. I got the car back and after a while had more overheating issues with the car, and have since been in and out of the shop. I have had the thermostat replaced, a new radiator cap, timing belt and water pump, have flushed the bottom half the radiator out for gunk, pressure tested for a possible blown head gasket (muiltpe times all negative), checked for leaks and couldn't find anything visible. The car will run fine, and it doesn't overheat every time I drive, but once a week or so. If the car doesn't overheat, (this doesn't happen all the time but it happens a decent amount of the time) it will begin to make a bubbling or gurgling noise when I shut the car off, sounds like a liquid coming out of a jug or something. When this happens it will leak usually by the front passenger side, doesn't look like coolant. I will get a weird smell too when this is happening, like the coolant is burning. I can't figure out what the issue is and have been up and down various forums looking for a solution. I have almost fixed the entire cooling system, and am at a loss at where to proceed next.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating Issue

Does it overheat at high speeds on the freeway?

With the engine cold, turn on the A/C, does the radiator fa n come on almost. Immediately?
Old 12 Jul 2017, 09:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

I will drive to work, which is about a 10-15 minute commute, and will take the freeway and also regular streets to see if there's a difference. I just drove about an hour on the feeeway last week, drove great until I got off the freeway and it strarted overheating as soon as got home. Seems to run less efficiently off the freeway when I'm in traffic. Just replaces water pump and timing belt along with new radiator cap two weeks ago. The bubbling noise will occur if I drive freeway or city. The fans work, we've tested them. But when I get back to it I'll check it out again and see if they turn on with ac.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 11:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The bubbling sound is probably coolant being pushed out of the reservoir. Look downward where the reservoir tank dumps overflow. I think it's right over the exhaust system. That may be your "burning coolant" smell.

Does your temperature gauge show overheating after exiting the freeway at a signal stop? Sounds like it.

That can be a symptom of the low speed fan not functioning.

You can see that the only time it should come on is if the speed is < 44 mph and the coolant temp rises above 206F AND the A/C is off. This can easily happen as you are approaching home at low speed and the low speed fan never kicks in as you pull into your driveway. Then everything overheats and starts bubbling over but you've already turned the car off.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 12:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like the fan would be the most likely culprit. My car has made that noise with no larger issue than air pockets not being fully flushed out of the system.

How hot is your car running? People use "overheat" to mean a bunch of things. Running a bit hot, warning lights coming on, actually overheating to the point where the car shuts down. I chased cooling problems/leaks with mine for ages, but it only got hot enough for the light to come on once. As long as I kept coolant in it, it was fine and I was driving it back and forth from NY to DC.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Does it overheat at high speeds on the freeway?

With the engine cold, turn on the A/C, does the radiator fa n come on almost. Immediately?
Just drove home from work on highway, worked fine and got up to operational temperature (right below the half way mark). Before I left though, I turned AC on when engine was cold and couldn't determine if the fan was coming on or not.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Sounds like the fan would be the most likely culprit. My car has made that noise with no larger issue than air pockets not being fully flushed out of the system.

How hot is your car running? People use "overheat" to mean a bunch of things. Running a bit hot, warning lights coming on, actually overheating to the point where the car shuts down. I chased cooling problems/leaks with mine for ages, but it only got hot enough for the light to come on once. As long as I kept coolant in it, it was fine and I was driving it back and forth from NY to DC.
Yeah we've been searching for a possible causes of the air pockets, because we cannot find any leaks in any hoses or anything that could explain why it was occurring.

I just drove home from work on freeway (not very far - 10 min) and it was fine, drove around after around the neighborhood for about 10 minutes and it started getting hot, it slowly progressed eventually reaching the point where the temp light came on and above 3/4 on the gauge before i shut it off. When i shut the car off the noise occurred, and I was looking at the res. and saw it fill up a little bit, the liquid in there appears to be pretty dark (almost looks brown from what i can make out of it through the plastic) and steam was coming out the overflow, no liquid this time though.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 01:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
The bubbling sound is probably coolant being pushed out of the reservoir. Look downward where the reservoir tank dumps overflow. I think it's right over the exhaust system. That may be your "burning coolant" smell.

Does your temperature gauge show overheating after exiting the freeway at a signal stop? Sounds like it.

That can be a symptom of the low speed fan not functioning.

You can see that the only time it should come on is if the speed is < 44 mph and the coolant temp rises above 206F AND the A/C is off. This can easily happen as you are approaching home at low speed and the low speed fan never kicks in as you pull into your driveway. Then everything overheats and starts bubbling over but you've already turned the car off.
If you look at the post in which I replied to above, it will tell you how it overheated today after I got off freeway. Not initial, but I drove around once I got off freeway for about 10 minutes to see if the temp would rise and it eventually started to slowly until it reached over 3/4 and at that point i shut it off and there was additional liquid added to res. at this point ( i was outside of car and had another person shut off so i could see what was going on ) and a little steam came out of the opening on side of res. but no liquid.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 01:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have some pictures of where's it leaking and videos of it leaking after shutting off and of the noise itself, just having difficulty posting.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 02:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9J...xSWVRTS3c/view

video of after shutting it off when it was close to overheating, you can see steam coming out slightly, hear the noise, and see the liquid in res.

this video is off the leak coming from the overflow?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9J...lTUzhrY00/view

Tags
bubbling, coolant, overheating