Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help check engine light problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2017, 10:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help check engine light problems

Hello all I have a 2006 pt cruiser turbo. I had the psm replaced and the computers are not talking to each other. They replaced the tipim and that was not it , They replaced the control for the key and the dash cluster and things still are not talking.the car is drive-able but the light comes on and the dash goes crazy. sometimes it kicks into limp mode .when they did the control I lost a key now down to one because they cannot program the second one due to this problem. It is a good car and I just want to try and get it right can't afford another. Anyone have any idea. Thinking about pulling the battery and checking the ground on driver side wheel well will i have to program anything when battery goes back in or will it start just fine?
Old 12 Jul 2017, 10:45 am
Banned

Default Re: Help check engine light problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbria View Post
Hello all I have a 2006 pt cruiser turbo. I had the psm replaced and the computers are not talking to each other. They replaced the tipim and that was not it , They replaced the control for the key and the dash cluster and things still are not talking.the car is drive-able but the light comes on and the dash goes crazy. sometimes it kicks into limp mode .when they did the control I lost a key now down to one because they cannot program the second one due to this problem. It is a good car and I just want to try and get it right can't afford another. Anyone have any idea. Thinking about pulling the battery and checking the ground on driver side wheel well will i have to program anything when battery goes back in or will it start just fine?
Who is "they" that replaced the PCM and TIPM? The PCM has to be programmed to your vehicle VIN and then the TIPM also has a programming procedure. Also, since "they" lost your second key it sounds like "they" should be paying to have it replaced at a dealership if that is your only recourse now to fix all the issues caused by "they"
Old 12 Jul 2017, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry they are the dealership they did replace the key but cannot program it.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 11:42 am
Banned

Quote:
Sorry they are the dealership they did replace the key but cannot program it.

I would certainly think that they should be able to figure it out
Old 12 Jul 2017, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

They cannot so they threw in the towel even Chrysler has dismissed it.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Any chance you can post a video of what the dash does when it goes crazy? This might help us with some ideas.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 03:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Where do you live? Maybe we have a member close to you that can come by and help you with it. Are you near Lake Wales, FL? I'll come over and try to help if you are.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Jul 2017, 03:31 pm
Banned

Quote:
They cannot so they threw in the towel even Chrysler has dismissed it.
I can't believe that any car can be that deamonized, but since they (dealership) can't or won't fix it, I hope they gave you a complete refund? Or did they just remove all the new parts that they put onto it and installed all your old parts?

If they installed a MOPAR PCM that's $1200 plus installation and programming. The TIPM is $745 plus installation and programming. Whatever else they put onto your vehicle would be several hundreds of dollars. They had to have a few hours of troubleshooting also involved. That's a lot that they have invested for them to just throw in the towel.

Last edited by rckstein; 12 Jul 2017 at 03:34 pm.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 08:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

I here you, I bought the PCM and they installed and programmed then they did the tipim . When they saw it was not it they put the old one back in. They charged me $446.00 for the contol that coes the key They tell me that had to stay. I did not pay for the dash cluster because they got me for the control.
It has been crazy we only drive it local and when the light comes on which seems like all the time I clear the codes. I go to my mechanic to get them read every once in awhile. I am going to take it to another dealer maybe there guy knows more and will find something. But first I am going to pull the battery and remove the grounds on wheel well clean and replace to see if that has any affect ...Nothing to lose.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I here you, I bought the PCM and they installed and programmed then they did the tipim . When they saw it was not it they put the old one back in. They charged me $446.00 for the contol that coes the key They tell me that had to stay. I did not pay for the dash cluster because they got me for the control.
It has been crazy we only drive it local and when the light comes on which seems like all the time I clear the codes. I go to my mechanic to get them read every once in awhile. I am going to take it to another dealer maybe there guy knows more and will find something. But first I am going to pull the battery and remove the grounds on wheel well clean and replace to see if that has any affect ...Nothing to lose.
Post what codes you are getting.