PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help check engine light problems

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2017, 10:32 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
Default Help check engine light problems

Hello all I have a 2006 pt cruiser turbo. I had the psm replaced and the computers are not talking to each other. They replaced the tipim and that was not it , They replaced the control for the key and the dash cluster and things still are not talking.the car is drive-able but the light comes on and the dash goes crazy. sometimes it kicks into limp mode .when they did the control I lost a key now down to one because they cannot program the second one due to this problem. It is a good car and I just want to try and get it right can't afford another. Anyone have any idea. Thinking about pulling the battery and checking the ground on driver side wheel well will i have to program anything when battery goes back in or will it start just fine?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2017, 10:45 am
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: Help check engine light problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbria View Post
Hello all I have a 2006 pt cruiser turbo. I had the psm replaced and the computers are not talking to each other. They replaced the tipim and that was not it , They replaced the control for the key and the dash cluster and things still are not talking.the car is drive-able but the light comes on and the dash goes crazy. sometimes it kicks into limp mode .when they did the control I lost a key now down to one because they cannot program the second one due to this problem. It is a good car and I just want to try and get it right can't afford another. Anyone have any idea. Thinking about pulling the battery and checking the ground on driver side wheel well will i have to program anything when battery goes back in or will it start just fine?
Who is "they" that replaced the PCM and TIPM? The PCM has to be programmed to your vehicle VIN and then the TIPM also has a programming procedure. Also, since "they" lost your second key it sounds like "they" should be paying to have it replaced at a dealership if that is your only recourse now to fix all the issues caused by "they"
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2017, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
Default Re: Help check engine light problems

Sorry they are the dealership they did replace the key but cannot program it.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2017, 11:42 am
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: Help check engine light problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbria View Post
Sorry they are the dealership they did replace the key but cannot program it.


I would certainly think that they should be able to figure it out
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2017, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
Default Re: Help check engine light problems

They cannot so they threw in the towel even Chrysler has dismissed it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2017, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,298
Default Re: Help check engine light problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbria View Post
Hello all I have a 2006 pt cruiser turbo. I had the psm replaced and the computers are not talking to each other. They replaced the tipim and that was not it , They replaced the control for the key and the dash cluster and things still are not talking.the car is drive-able but the light comes on and the dash goes crazy. sometimes it kicks into limp mode .when they did the control I lost a key now down to one because they cannot program the second one due to this problem. It is a good car and I just want to try and get it right can't afford another. Anyone have any idea. Thinking about pulling the battery and checking the ground on driver side wheel well will i have to program anything when battery goes back in or will it start just fine?
Any chance you can post a video of what the dash does when it goes crazy? This might help us with some ideas.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2017, 03:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 4,689
Default Re: Help check engine light problems

Where do you live? Maybe we have a member close to you that can come by and help you with it. Are you near Lake Wales, FL? I'll come over and try to help if you are.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jul 2017, 03:31 pm
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: Help check engine light problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbria View Post
They cannot so they threw in the towel even Chrysler has dismissed it.
I can't believe that any car can be that deamonized, but since they (dealership) can't or won't fix it, I hope they gave you a complete refund? Or did they just remove all the new parts that they put onto it and installed all your old parts?

If they installed a MOPAR PCM that's $1200 plus installation and programming. The TIPM is $745 plus installation and programming. Whatever else they put onto your vehicle would be several hundreds of dollars. They had to have a few hours of troubleshooting also involved. That's a lot that they have invested for them to just throw in the towel.

Last edited by rckstein; 12 Jul 2017 at 03:34 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jul 2017, 08:47 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
Default Re: Help check engine light problems

I here you, I bought the PCM and they installed and programmed then they did the tipim . When they saw it was not it they put the old one back in. They charged me $446.00 for the contol that coes the key They tell me that had to stay. I did not pay for the dash cluster because they got me for the control.
It has been crazy we only drive it local and when the light comes on which seems like all the time I clear the codes. I go to my mechanic to get them read every once in awhile. I am going to take it to another dealer maybe there guy knows more and will find something. But first I am going to pull the battery and remove the grounds on wheel well clean and replace to see if that has any affect ...Nothing to lose.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jul 2017, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,298
Default Re: Help check engine light problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbria View Post
I here you, I bought the PCM and they installed and programmed then they did the tipim . When they saw it was not it they put the old one back in. They charged me $446.00 for the contol that coes the key They tell me that had to stay. I did not pay for the dash cluster because they got me for the control.
It has been crazy we only drive it local and when the light comes on which seems like all the time I clear the codes. I go to my mechanic to get them read every once in awhile. I am going to take it to another dealer maybe there guy knows more and will find something. But first I am going to pull the battery and remove the grounds on wheel well clean and replace to see if that has any affect ...Nothing to lose.
Post what codes you are getting.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2007 PT Cruiser Check engine light and transmission problems. jpierce2087 Tech & Performance Forum 18 22 Oct 2015 08:30 pm
2004 Engine misfire and flashing check engine light fg1911a1 General Turbo Discussions 15 26 Jul 2014 06:20 pm
Check engine light and battery light on tay2208 Tech & Performance Forum 2 27 Jul 2011 05:44 am
Dashboard goes crazy, check engine light,oil light...... jggarza3247 Tech & Performance Forum 2 10 Jul 2011 06:23 am
Check engine light: Amber Light: power loss dbleclk Turbo Performance 2 06 Jul 2011 06:12 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors