PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ADVICE PLEASE ON VALVE COVER GASKET *PHOTOS*

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2017, 06:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ADVICE PLEASE ON VALVE COVER GASKET *PHOTOS*

My 02 cruiser is in the yard for the summer while I conduct a long list of service work I need to do to get it up to snuff to insure for October 1st when I take my rx8 off the road for the winter months. Mileage is only 68k miles. I just bought the car and have to do the work in my spare time. As I understand it... the valve cover gaskets on these engines often need earlier replacement than some engines so im looking at this one and wondering what the experts think. Should I replace right away or will it last 6 months or so of very light driving... maybe another 3k miles before she is parked again and the rx8 comes out to play for the summer. It would be great to replace it next spring when she is back in the yard and I have lots of time again. If not ill do it now.
I can't find any leaking on the exhaust although it seems to be sweating a little... the plugs wells are dry although just one plug I changed had some oil on the threads only so possibly a valve I'll have a closer look after a few quick oil and filter changes to get all the old sludge and deposits out of the engine from the previous owner. Perhaps that will free up the valve if I'm lucky. Does appear the oil pan gasket is shot I'll have to get on that.
Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170718_175330.jpg (99.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20170718_175525.jpg (93.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20170718_175339(0).jpg (91.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 18 Jul 2017, 06:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: ADVICE PLEASE ON VALVE COVER GASKET *PHOTOS*

And yes the engine is filthy! I bought 2 cans of engine cleaner foam after all the work is done engine will be cleaned well and run through the car wash
Old 18 Jul 2017, 06:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Not sure about the valve cover gasket from those pics... It's not too expensive and fairly easy to change out, especially since you already have the intake off.

I do see that the PCV hose is broken, that is causing a massive vacuum leak and I'm sure making the engine run awful... unless you broke it taking the intake off.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 18 Jul 2017, 06:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Not sure about the valve cover gasket from those pics... It's not too expensive and fairly easy to change out, especially since you already have the intake off.

I do see that the PCV hose is broken, that is causing a massive vacuum leak and I'm sure making the engine run awful... unless you broke it taking the intake off.
Your right it's not a big job at all but my list of things that I'm sure need to be done seems longer than time will allow by October 1st. I can only work on the car every other week I have a trans kit to do with solenoid... input and output sensors...gaskets...some body work and paint a bunch of small areas mostly but prep work time is a killer... 4-5 oil changes which I always do in a used car oil is filthy in this one have to get the sludge out. Front brake rotors and pads for sure... haven't even looked at the drums yet. And pressure wash underneath and several coats of undercoating.
The pcv valve arrived a few days ago I changed that... the old one was stuck and the new hose arrives tomorrow according to the tracking number with an upgraded ignition coil and wires. I installed new NGK iridium plugs and haven't test driven the car since but sure started with a hell of a jolt.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 08:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

You really do have a long list of things to do. The pics look like you could skip the VC gasket. As mentioned, since you have the intake off, it makes it easy to replace now. At this point, you will add 1/2 hour to what you are doing to the car. If you put it back together and replace the gasket next year, 1-2 hours, IMO, depending on how much you have to clean.

In the end, it's your call. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Ptcroozer likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 19 Jul 2017, 07:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

I installed new NGK iridium plugs and haven't test driven the car since but sure started with a hell of a jolt.[/QUOTE]

Don't be surprised if your PT doesn't run right and the mileage sucks. You should just stay with the OEM copper plugs. Champion RC-9-YC.
Gkon and Ptcroozer like this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 10:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I installed new NGK iridium plugs and haven't test driven the car since but sure started with a hell of a jolt.
Don't be surprised if your PT doesn't run right and the mileage sucks. You should just stay with the OEM copper plugs. Champion RC-9-YC.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to derail, but I was just about to post asking what plugs to get for my '02 N/A. Thanks!
Old 19 Jul 2017, 11:18 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkon View Post
Don't be surprised if your PT doesn't run right and the mileage sucks. You should just stay with the OEM copper plugs. Champion RC-9-YC.
Sorry to derail, but I was just about to post asking what plugs to get for my '02 N/A. Thanks![/QUOTE]
OOOOOOOOhhhh .. My research tells me .. for a '06 N/A .. Champion RE16MC !
Excellent pics IMO, the PT valve cover gaskets are of good quality and design .. mine lasted 150K miles, eleven years, I think ! Proper installing and prep work are vital ..
What would worry me greatly is SLUDGE !!
The Cruiser may be similar to Saab , drop the pan and clean the strainer - before its too late .
Here, I may have lucked out .. the upper portion of the head is clean enough to eat from !
For the Turbo .. .. RE 14 MC .. the 14 is most important ..
Old 19 Jul 2017, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I installed new NGK iridium plugs and haven't test driven the car since but sure started with a hell of a jolt.
Don't be surprised if your PT doesn't run right and the mileage sucks. You should just stay with the OEM copper plugs. Champion RC-9-YC.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice I'll report how they hold up when I start driving it October 1st. So far starts and idles excellent with them... revs fantastic and new ignition coil pack and wires should arrive today. Having been a performance car/truck guy with gas guzzling engines in the past this is one of my first economical cars on fuel so that really doesn't bother me. I had assumed my rx8 would be decent on gas but the twin rotary engines in them make lots of power and drink gas like a pig it is really no better than my v8 trucks. The pt is a huge step up for me in gas mileage lol.
Gkon likes this.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 03:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: ADVICE PLEASE ON VALVE COVER GASKET *PHOTOS*

Those spark plugs should work just fine for many miles to come. Personally I like the NGK V or G power plugs.
Debating spark plugs is like debating oil brands, everyone has an opinion good or bad about all of them...

Otherwise you have quite the list of work to do to the Cruiser. Good luck with it all.

Those rotary engines do make a good bit of power for their small size but they drink fuel like they are much larger!

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com