• 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By rcktpwrd
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By benz302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2017, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default code P601 how long till death

I thought I had an evap code because it would go out when I filled the tank so I just kept driving the car for about 2 months with the CEL on and absoluteley no driveablity issues. I just had the code pulled and found out that it's actually a P601 for a bad pcm . I live in NE ohio so my 01 PT is pretty well rotted out and has 200,000 miles on it , it's not worth putting a PCM in it . I've done some research on it and can't find where anybody has actually had it quit running from this . Has anybody had the car die from it or do they just change it to get the CEL to go out ?
Old 19 Jul 2017, 02:23 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: code P601 how long till death

i think that's pretty cool. if i were you I'd just keep driving it. if you clear the code, does it come back?
Gkon likes this.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the code P0601 comes back you might want to check the ground wires going to the drivers side fender on the inside that has been know to have corrosion with many wires wrapped together and you can't see it happening. Other members have soldered the wires together.

Check the wires going to the PCM for continuity.
Gkon likes this.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 04:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you don't have to worry about passing an inspection I would just keep on driving...

Re-manufactured PCM's can found on eBay and some other sources for a couple hundred bucks.

My car had that same code a number of years ago, there was zero change in the way it ran. I had the computer replaced by the local dealership, since it was still covered by the federal emissions warranty.
Gkon likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 19 Jul 2017, 04:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz302 View Post
I thought I had an evap code because it would go out when I filled the tank so I just kept driving the car for about 2 months with the CEL on and absoluteley no driveablity issues. I just had the code pulled and found out that it's actually a P601 for a bad pcm . I live in NE ohio so my 01 PT is pretty well rotted out and has 200,000 miles on it , it's not worth putting a PCM in it . I've done some research on it and can't find where anybody has actually had it quit running from this . Has anybody had the car die from it or do they just change it to get the CEL to go out ?
This is extremely common on 2001 PT's. I had it myself on my 2001 Limited. There was a manufacturer's defect in the memory chip used in the old-style JTEC PCM's used in PT's during a specific time period in 2001. There will likely be no PCM death. I'm not sure if the failed memory is supped to store Long Term Fuel Trim tables or what. But most folks report no issues with this code and no performance gains after PCM replacement. You could replace it with one of the thousands of 2001/2002 PT PCM's available from salvage yards. But if your PT has SKIM, you will have to get someone to flash your VIN number into it.

Just to get rid of the check engine light, I got a PCM from these folks. They are very nice and will honor their lifetime warranty. You give them your VIN and they flash it into the PCM before sending it so it's just plug and play.

2001 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER Engine Computer ECM PCM ECU Replacement | eBay

Another and less expensive choice is to buy a used PCM from forum member, Myckee. He often keeps a number of them on hand and has the ability to flash in the VIN number. You can send him a PM if interested.
podo2000 and Gkon like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Jul 2017 at 04:34 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 08:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the info . I redid all the grounds and added an extra one just to help but the CEL is still on . I am just going to run it till it dies , at least I feel a little bit better about it now that its death is not eminent , lol .
Old 05 Nov 2017, 08:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just wanted to give an update in case anyone else searches for this code . It's been a few months and several thousand miles now and it hasn't caused any problem other than the CEL being on . Thanks for the info guys
podo2000 and JDK52 like this.
Old 05 Nov 2017, 05:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Pull the bulb or put a piece of electrical tape over it. Just drive the hell out of it and have fun.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie