PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
VOTING TIME! WHO MAKES THE BEST THERMOSTAT?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2017, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default VOTING TIME! WHO MAKES THE BEST THERMOSTAT?

I realize OEM parts are good for a lot of applications and not as good for others. Have any aftermarket companies built a better mouse trap for an 02 non turbo?
Please let me know which thermostat you've used after replacing... and what your thoughts are thanks in advance!
Old 20 Jul 2017, 07:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: VOTING TIME! WHO MAKES THE BEST THERMOSTAT?

i put a stant in mine.

i recommend you avoid (any brand) marketed as "failsafe". unless you have a perfect cooling system or like replacing thermostats. it seems chain stores love selling these. once you exceed the rated temp by a seemingly random amount, they "save" you by locking open and then you need to buy another. here's the illustrated version: https://youtu.be/YIJx-ks2wN0?t=34

they don't tell you what temp makes it "save you". before i got wise to the scam i used these garbage "failsafe" almost exclusively..and used to change quite a few. live 'n learn!

Last edited by rob302; 20 Jul 2017 at 07:49 am.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 08:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Most of the active members that I have recommend various repair work to help them solve cooling system issues (about 6+) and also our customers (4?+) our local PT Cruiser Club (2) as well my own PT Cruiser ALL use STANT.

Asking a VOTE IMHO is unless as with many part considerations goes users many times have not tried more then at least 2 brands. It is kinda like asking what is the best tire for a PT Cruiser or stereo head unit. Not many have actually tried a few to give a good answer based on experience. The reports of failed NEW thermostat are highly suspect for accuracy to really know if the thermostat actual prematurely failing or something else that cause its early failure. Many are reported from DIY that also had other cooling system issues to begin with. Reading the comical bleeding of the cooling system for PT manufactured from 2003 and newer is an indication that procedures are not really followed by the factory service manual recommendations.

I might also add the many of the manufacture use different or multiple countries to manufacture even one part number.

I would simply say use what you like, what fits your budget,what suites your availability, and a most importantly a supplier that you have already have a purchase history from.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Jul 2017, 08:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Excellent guys thanks... if stant is the trusted brand used and recommended by the majority or mechanics that's good enough for me. Really wasn't sure where to start with a quality thermostat.
I'm changing it as a matter of course as I just bought the car and want to fully service everything I can think of. Yesterday though got me thinking of the thermostat...
Ran the car in the yard for a while after an oil change and overheat light came on after about 20 mins. Started to hear coolant starting to boil in the overflow turned it off right away. Fan never turned on. Well I checked... there are no codes coming up... checked all the fuses all of them appear fine so now I suppose I'll have to start checking connections next but I have a bunch of other stuff to do right now so hopefully when I get there it's nothing major.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 09:06 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree with Rob, the fail-safe stats are good for nothing and shortly after installing one, you will be pulling it out again to replace it.

I have been using Moto-rad stats since I got my cruiser mostly because they have a direct fit 180 degree stat available and Rockauto.com, my favourite online retailer, who carries them and at a decent price. I have used both of their cooler 180 and normal 195 degree stats with no complaints so far.

In my other cars I have used Stant as well as others. They all get the job done.
Jeffz and Ptcroozer like this.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 09:22 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Reading the comical bleeding of the cooling system for PT manufactured from 2003 and newer is an indication that procedures are not really followed by the factory service manual recommendations.
I have done this several different ways, to varying levels of comedic value, with no discernible difference in the result.

Last edited by Fk5; 20 Jul 2017 at 09:35 am.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Moto-rad is the way to go. Stant has always been more of a bubble-pack, Walmart consumer oriented company to me. Moto-rad supplies many OEM's, NAPA and many other more serious suppliers of automotive and industrial parts. Like with many autoparts, you have to watch and question local shops and mechanics on this. Many will just use whatever is cheapest, what the store they have an account with offers and/or whatever is brought by the store willing to deliver. But the best mechanics will often have a preference if their shop lets them.

That said, for my cars I will use a Stant if it's the only game in town or if I have to go all the way across town to get the Moto-rad because for most passenger car thermostats, the brands just aren't that different. I wish someone made a machined billet brass thermostat for the PT the way they do for several of the vintage V8's. The ones in big trucks and industrial equipment are usually machined brass with a higher quality silicone fill and they rarely fail. So my votes goes for something like this:

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Jul 2017 at 10:16 am.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 10:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

i believe the image you posted is a weir-stat. i've seen those on the gates website. i think they only use those in semi-trucks.

handy they do make all brass thermostats if you really want one. it's not machined from a block like an old weir though. see attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (42.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 20 Jul 2017, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
i believe the image you posted is a weir-stat. i've seen those on the gates website. i think they only use those in semi-trucks.

handy they do make all brass thermostats if you really want one. it's not machined from a block like an old weir though. see attached
That's the one for the small block Chevy isn't it? I haven't seen one like that for the 2.4L Chrysler engine.

And like I said, there's not enough difference in any of the major quality brands worth driving across town to get one brand over another. It would be cool to have a high quality billet brass thermostat. But even if available, it would be pretty far down on my priority list. I think thermostats are one of those subjects like spark plugs. All the major brands will do the job just about the same. But we car enthusiasts have an opinion anyway.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Jul 2017 at 10:54 am.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptcroozer View Post
Yesterday though got me thinking of the thermostat...
Ran the car in the yard for a while after an oil change and overheat light came on after about 20 mins. Started to hear coolant starting to boil in the overflow turned it off right away. Fan never turned on. Well I checked... there are no codes coming up... checked all the fuses all of them appear fine so now I suppose I'll have to start checking connections next but I have a bunch of other stuff to do right now so hopefully when I get there it's nothing major.
Highly likely that your thermostat is not the problem. First, I would fix the non-operating fan problem. Worn out fan brushes making the fan inoperable is the #1 problem when it comes to overheating in the PT Cruisers (from what I've read on this forum). Other fan-killing things to check are the harnesses and relays but the fan brushes are the usual suspect. The fix for that is simply to buy a new fan assembly ~$70-$80 mail order or $135 locally and less than an hour to replace.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.