PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Pt Cruiser GT Turbo 2door convertable clutch problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2017, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Pt Cruiser GT Turbo 2door convertable clutch problem?

I have a 2.4L Turbo with a 5-speed manual transmission (110k miles) and was highway driving at about 70 mph. As I was pushing the accelerator it stopped accelerating. I went to pull over and realized my clutch was going to the floor and would not connect to any gear. I had the top down and radio up so I was unable to hear if there was any strange sounds when this happened. There was a slight smell almost like burning rubber when i got to the side of the road. I had the car towed home and the next day I went to investigate.

I found:
*The engine idles a little rough
*There is a slight rumbling (Not rattle) sound in the engine compartment I've never heard before.
*That slight smell of rubber is gone.
*The clutch pedal in very soft to non existent
*The shifter feels like it's going into gear but car won't move.
*I tried putting into gear before starting and still car wouldn't move after starting
*All fluid levels are good
*No error codes

I've read about master and slave cylinders and complete clutch replacment on this particular vehicle but the information seems contradictory sometimes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 01:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Pt Cruiser GT Turbo 2door convertable clutch problem?

Welcome to the forum

You might want to first start a introduction thread as new member. If you read the forums great new members information you might have seen in bold print?

We are a forum that will gladly help members but like in the real world it is just polite to first meet and introduce yourself before asking for things?
Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum

Specifically :
WELCOME and Forum Rules

We encourage all new members to say hello and introduce yourself to the rest of the community by starting a post in the Welcome New PT Owners thread at the top half of the forum.

FYI you might spend a little more time looking around the forum as most everything you asked about has been well covered over the years.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Jul 2017 at 01:59 pm.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 02:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the information and I've posted my introduction.

FYI: I have spent everyday since the past weekend on this forum and others searching for the answer to my question. That is why I said I have only found contradictory and somewhat confusing information that pertains to some (not all) of my symptoms.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 03:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

my car did what your car did. the thing in the picture below was loose in the disk and it eventually stripped the metal it contacts. there are also a couple plastic spacers in the disk that ride on this piece. if these were melting from the metal part spinning, it would explain the burning rubber smell.

i'd take it apart and look. it took me 2 hours to remove the trans. since you have a GT you have the funky half shaft axle, so it would likely take me more like 3 hours to get it apart

Old 20 Jul 2017, 03:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with Rob. Looks like it's time for a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Hopefully you won't need a new slave or clutch master cylinder. Rockauto will probably have your best prices, but check Amazon too. You just never know.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Absolutely awesome info and pictures! Did you end up replacing the entire clutch system or was the part and plastic spacer clips replacable on their own?

Also...would this have caused and occasional "tough shift" that would happen every now and then? There were RARE occasions when i had to leave off and re-push the clutch to get into the next gear.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 06:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Mine happened from abuse.. jamming the car in the wrong gear at way too high of rpms, etc. It would have problems once in a while. This was caused by debris between the clutch disk and flywheel which would prevent it from going into gear. Putting the car in gear and then starting it would force the debris out and it would be fine again. When it did finally break, I was driving like an angel.

You can't fix the disk. It's fine though. If you're that far in there it makes sense to change the clutch. mine was only $140 to replace because i just bought the cheapest clutch on rockauto. mine's non-turbo though so

Last edited by rob302; 20 Jul 2017 at 07:55 pm.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you Rob! Great info and exactly what i was looking for. I will post the results of my repair when I get it done. THANK YOU AGAIN!