PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
VMS RACING SRT4 NEON IGNITION COIL AND 10.2mm WIRES INSTALL ON 02 NON TURBO CRUISER

Like Tree30Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2017, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default VMS RACING SRT4 NEON IGNITION COIL AND 10.2mm WIRES INSTALL ON 02 NON TURBO CRUISER

Continuing on with the service work for the 02 non turbo cruiser I just purchased I have just installed new NGK iridium spark plugs... VMS RACING 36,000 volt ignition coil pack... And 10.2mm hi energy wires.
The seller listed the coil pack and wires for 03-05 srt4 turbo neon... When I contacted him he said it would not fit an 02 cruiser. After a little homework I concluded it should fit and deliver a superior spark so I took a chance and ordered the parts. THEY FIT!
I have nicknamed the coil and wires "the crab" lol as seen in the attached photos and wow does this car ever run amazing now! Starts strong... runs like a race horse... very smooth all the way through and noticeable increase in power when accelerating. The oem ignition pack was original with the car at 68k miles.
Manufacturers can say whatever they like to sell their products... but I can tell you from first hand experience this set up really delivers!
Now that I'm close to done under the hood having also changed the pcv valve...pcv hose... air and cabin filters... 4 oil changes until old oil came out like new... I can now apply the 2 cans of engine cleaner I picked up and off to the car wash I go!
So if anyone is looking for an ignition upgrade I can say at least in my case everything fit and works as it should with no codes so hopefully it's helpful to someone out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170722_095159.jpg (93.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20170721_183809.jpg (97.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20170722_095229.jpg (93.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 22 Jul 2017, 01:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: VMS RACING SRT4 NEON IGNITION COIL AND 10.2mm WIRES INSTALL ON 02 NON TURBO CRUIS

So how much did this all set you back? Did you order directly from the mfr., or who?
Old 22 Jul 2017, 01:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: VMS RACING SRT4 NEON IGNITION COIL AND 10.2mm WIRES INSTALL ON 02 NON TURBO CRUIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscanlan View Post
So how much did this all set you back? Did you order directly from the mfr., or who?
$97 shipped for the coil and wires from eBay seller "libertyrace" he's the cheapest and you can order either the srt4 set or 04-09 pt turbo part number are identical. I just checked to get you the price and in fact they were cheaper for the 04-09 pt listing so that's what I ordered. I don't imagine the oem coil pack and wires are much cheaper than this I wanted an upgrade so I didn't bother to check. The NGK iridium plugs I picked up at a local parts store and they were stupid expensive but these parts are a upgrade over factory for sure. I've wanted to try iridium plugs for some time they are excellent but are they that much better than other plugs that are 1/4 the price? I think that all depends on your budget. For most... probably not.
Gkon likes this.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You have what use to be called one of the MSD clones. I would carry the OEM in your PT just encase.
ptprice, VsandFords and Gkon like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Jul 2017, 02:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
You have what use to be called one of the MSD clones. I would carry the OEM in your PT just encase.
Why is that? Are these known to fail?
Old 22 Jul 2017, 02:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Thanks but I'm not concerned about it at all. I've studied this topic a lot past few years there are good and bad products of all kinds out there but they all have one thing in common... they are almost always made in China! So you can pay a premium dollar for a big name brand... that's made in China... or a different brand at a much better price you guessed it... also made in China.
DON'T BELIEVE ME! lol Have a look at what the PRESIDENT OF MSD says in his own words about MSD PRODUCTS...
"It is important to mention our budget based line, Street Fire. This is line offers several distributors, easily identified with cast housings, as a budget based brand. The distributors are produced in China, however it took over a year to get a product that we were confident in. We put them under a different brand to clearly set the two designs apart. For the record, there is also a Street Fire CD ignition and spark plug wires as well both made in the USA.

Face it, anything having to do with electronics is a tough business to be in with hundreds of raw material components, and its nearly impossible to build a product out of 100% USA components. You can be assured that if you do have an MSD coil that is made in China or in the United States, we will stand by its performance and provide you with the same support as any other MSD products.

Well see you at the races -

Russell Stephens
President
MSD Ignition
El Paso, TX"
Handy_Cruiser and Gkon like this.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I should add that MSD has most of their product line either manufactured and assembled entirely in China or... mostly manufactured in China with some of the parts assembled in the USA. In some cases the very factories in China that manufacture products of all kinds for big name brands pump them out and simply rebrand them with their own name and let the big name companies pay for all the r&d and they also have the advantage of being able to skip the distributor's mark up and place the products in the marketplace at a much better price.
I'm not saying this is true in every case of course but it happens a whole lot more than most people realize
Handy_Cruiser and Gkon like this.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 03:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptcroozer View Post
I should add that MSD has most of their product line either manufactured and assembled entirely in China or... mostly manufactured in China with some of the parts assembled in the USA. In some cases the very factories in China that manufacture products of all kinds for big name brands pump them out and simply rebrand them with their own name and let the big name companies pay for all the r&d and they also have the advantage of being able to skip the distributor's mark up and place the products in the marketplace at a much better price.
I'm not saying this is true in every case of course but it happens a whole lot more than most people realize
Yep. The problem is that some of the older hands have a lot of brand loyalty even though many of those old American brands are now just Chinese versions with the original name brand stuck on them. At least those wire you got don't really look like MSD wires. They just happen to be red which is about the most favorite color of the go-fast crowd.

For me it comes down to price, value, and even bragging rights when it comes to these little suped up cars. MSD still has very good "street credit" due to the back-in-the-day memories of the older folks. When someone looks at a well dress engine and sees MSD wires, they usually approve. And really that's the point more than many want to admit. Otherwise, OEM-equivilent wires would be just as good. A set of the MSD 32689 runs about $59 online. What's the price of those wires you got? I'm in the market for some new wires myself.
Ptcroozer likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Jul 2017 at 05:35 pm.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 03:49 pm
Banned

I thought it didn't matter where parts were manufactured as I seem to recall that at least one member on this forum maintains that all auto parts manufactured today meet OEM specs regardless of where they are manufactured.
Ptcroozer likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 22 Jul 2017 at 03:57 pm.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 03:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yep. The problem is that some of the older hands have a lot of brand loyalty even though many of those old American brands are now just Chinese versions with the original name brand stuck on them. At least those wire you got don't really look like MDS wires. They just happen to be red which is about the most favorite color of the go-fast crowd.

For me it comes down to price, value, and even bragging rights when it comes to these little suped up cars. MDS still has very good "street credit" due to the back-in-the-day memories of the older folks. When someone looks at a well dress engine and sees MDS wires, they usually approve. And really that's the point more than many want to admit. Otherwise, OEM-equivilent wires would be just as good. A set of the MDS 32689 runs about $59 online. What's the price of those wires you got? I'm in the market for some new wires myself.
Very well said indeed
The wires were not listed separately on eBay I bought the wires and coil together for $97 shipped. Likely cheaper to you I am in Canada shipping is more they ship from the US arrived to me in one week.
Have a look at the photo attached VMS RACING MAKES HIGH END WIRES! In fact... you can find them listed at online parts stores in a kit with an MSD ignition box! The sellers claim this is because these wires are high quality and able to allow the MSD boxes to perform to their potential. And strangely enough... those MSD ignition boxes listed with the VMS RACING wires are the identical shape and color as the VMS boxes with identical electronic specs... just no MSD sticker! lol Hmmm....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (31.6 KB, 16 views)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Closed Thread