P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2017, 09:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor

Hi all,

On my 2010 with 100k km:

While driving in my neighborhood i got the check engine light. I checked the code and it was P0340. The engine hesitated a little a first but then became completely normal.

On my way home the engine light was not on. Just to be safe, i brought car in to the dealership to change the camshaft position sensor (i also asked them to check the wiring harness just in case it came loose).

My questions are:

1-Does the Camshaft sensor do anything after ignition? im confused about the engine hesitating.

2- Is it normal for the engine light/code to dissapear and drive normally after throwing out a P0340? im not sure how it can not work on minute, and then work fine afterwards

3- I don't like being stranded. is it about time i change the crankshaft position sensor as well, just to avoid being stranded this winter? i did my timing belt last year.

thanks!!
Old 26 Jul 2017, 11:56 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor

Lots of discussions about the camshaft position sensor here in the past.

It happened to ours last spring too.

The connection to the sensor can get fouled and cause an intermittent connection which would explain a CEL one time and it disappearing another time. The usual symptom of a bad connection or bad sensor is the engine running terribly and going into "limp mode" which limits your speed but gets you home if you drive carefully and slowly.

Unfortunately, a poor connection can be just as much the cause as a bad sensor. The action of unplugging the old sensor and plugging a new sensor may be enough to get rid of the problem until the next time the connection needs cleaning. Fortunately the sensor is in about the most convenient location for a replacement and even a genuine Mopar part is only about $70. The bad news is an aftermarket sensor is about 1/3 the price and cleaning the connection may be all that was needed.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 03:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I had to replace all 3..within a short period off each other..
..but I had 196,000 miles
camshaft sensor
crankshaft sensor
camshaft magnet

Old 27 Jul 2017, 08:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks all - i will likely change it. hopefully that solves the problem, but am curious what the lifespan of the sensors usually is.. 100k km seems short, so i wonder how much longer the crankshaft sensor will last..
Old 04 Sep 2017, 03:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've had 4 camshaft sensors replaced in my 2008 PT -- most recently this last week. The last sensor was MOPAR and lasted 2 years. Evidently PT Cruisers are hard on camshaft sensors.
Old 04 Sep 2017, 03:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieL View Post
I've had 4 camshaft sensors replaced in my 2008 PT -- most recently this last week. The last sensor was MOPAR and lasted 2 years. Evidently PT Cruisers are hard on camshaft sensors.
The truth is that the design of this camshaft sensor isn't too good. Or at least, it results in predictable failure. Chrysler has used these same sensors since the 1990's on a number of different cars and engines. And if you go to a salvage yard, most of them will have been removed. And of the ones still there, many are aftermarket. If the PT Cruiser is the most common car of the last twenty years, then the camshaft sensor is the most common failure.

Many will recommend going back with a Mopar replacement when you buy one. They seem to last as long or longer than the aftermarket kind, but often no more than the original. For me, I replaced both the sensor and the target magnet behind it. There were some early reports of magnets becoming week. And the kind of magnet used can lose strength due to engine heat. But most reports are from the early 2001/2002 PT's which use a different magnet.

If me, I'd just get a Mopar sensor and replace it with that. And if I bought another PT, I'd go ahead and replace the one on that car as preventative maintenance.
rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Sep 2017 at 10:48 am.
Old 04 Sep 2017, 06:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had the camshaft wiring harness drop down low enough to hit the spinning half shaft at 11:30PM on Route 95 in the middle of South Carolina. Tow truck took me to a hotel, picked me up in the morning and took me to the nearest Chrysler dealer. They said Camshaft sensor but when they put it up on the rack to check things out, the mechanic found the burnt wires. He cut, spliced soldered and heat shrunk everything back together and I only had to pay two hours labor. That was many years ago and still have the same sensor now.

Old 06 Jun 2019, 04:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieL View Post
Mine still has the original. Well, until this week that is.
Old 06 Jun 2019, 04:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Holy thread revival. This thing is ancient.

Yikes. Poor Carey had to pay 2 hours labor? My sensor cost something like $30. I got aftermarket because it was Sunday and the dealer wasn't open. Took me a few minutes in the rain with a flashlight in my mouth. When it went bad the car would run fine under about 2500 rpm. I have a post somewhere that has the exact figure. Driving DC to NY and it started acting up just past Baltimore. Kept my speed down, but otherwise no big deal. Original lasted around 12 years and 150,000 miles. Don't over-torque it. I think that is why there are so many cracked magnets.
chuzz likes this.
Old 07 Jun 2019, 06:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had my camshaft sensor replaced a couple of weeks ago. Engine light popped on and the engine stumbled a little bit. I was able to drive directly to the shop. This is an '05 with 110,000 miles and is the first time replaced. My '02 has 117,000 miles and still to date has not been changed yet.
044400 likes this.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock