PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 PT Cruiser Timing & Cam sprocket alignment

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2017, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 PT Cruiser Timing & Cam sprocket alignment

Ok... The water pump is replaced, tensioner is replaced, idle pulley replaced. rear cover installed and the cam sprockets installed.

Now of course the cam sprockets are not aligned soooo....

Can I rotate the cam sprockets??

They need to be in the correct position before the new timing belt is installed.

Thanks,

Mims
Old 27 Jul 2017, 05:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Cruiser Timing & Cam sprocket alignment

Of course you can rotate them in order to align the timing marks. The WORST thing that can happen is that you'll be 180 degrees off. Be sure to start it before buttoning everything up. That way, you'll know if you got it right and won't have to go back and do it all over again. And if it isn't right, all you need to do is take the belt back off and turn the cam again.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 06:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: 2003 PT Cruiser Timing & Cam sprocket alignment

If both cams are 180 out would that be the same as 360?
Old 27 Jul 2017, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[Of course you can rotate them in order to align the timing marks. The WORST thing that can happen is that you'll be 180 degrees off. Be sure to start it before buttoning everything up. That way, you'll know if you got it right and won't have to go back and do it all over again. And if it isn't right, all you need to do is take the belt back off and turn the cam again.[/QUOTE]

If the markings on the sprockets are aligned and both sprockets say up... wouldn't I be in time..... and not 180 out?

Also,,, can I rotate the cams counter clock wise?

Thanks for the help.

mims
Old 28 Jul 2017, 07:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Yes, if you rotate the same cam. I wasn't clear in my trying to explain. You rotate one 180, if that doesn't work, put it back to where it was and then rotate the other one 180. If you do a search here on lining up timing marks, you MIGHT still find some great photos of how the marks are supposed to be lined up. But with all the turmoil over photobucket removing so many photos, you may not find what you need. I'm sure that SOMEONE here still has a pic of how all 3 timing marks go. Be patient.
I think if you try to rotate the cams counter clockwise, that you'll just be loosening the bolts that hold the sprockets on. Stay with clockwise rotation, to be safe.

Old 28 Jul 2017, 10:15 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm in the middle of doing this on my '06. Did you start by setting your engine to top dead center on the #1 cylinder before starting to disassemble? If so, you're in good shape. The cams will be in position, or close to it. The cam sprockets are keyed to the cams by a dowel. The dowels will be in the 6:00 position with the cams set to TDC. If you install the sprockets properly (for your 2.4 liter engine, and not backward as they're set on the 2.0) the arrows will be pointing up and the alignment marks will be close to where they should be. If you need to adjust the position of the cams a bit, just rotate them by grabbing the sprockets and carefully rotating them. If you turn them using the sprockets, you won't have to worry about loosening the sprocket retaining bolts.
If you started this job with the crankshaft in some random position, you're kind of screwed- you'll need to set the crankshaft to top dead center, but you run the risk of the pistons meeting valves. If you position the crankshaft three belt teeth counter clockwise from TDC, all of the pistons will be down in their bores, and you can set your cams to TDC, followed by setting the crankshaft to top dead center.
I hope this makes sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170722_174452.jpg (94.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 28 Jul 2017, 10:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Only use the inner marks aligning with the center of both cam gears. Do not use the outer marks.

Camshaft Gear alignment for timing belt.jpg

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 28 Jul 2017 at 10:30 am.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 11:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Cranshaft sprocket in the correct position.

If you screw in the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer temporarily in the crankshaft, you can use a big 1/2" wrench to rotate the crankshaft through 2 cycles (720 degrees). If you attached the timing belt properly, all the marks should line up again.

Hopefully, when you start it up for a short run, this will happen:
Old 28 Jul 2017, 11:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thank you to both Steve and Rsrocket for posting the photos. THOSE should really help you out, howard.

Old 29 Jul 2017, 06:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
I'm in the middle of doing this on my '06. Did you start by setting your engine to top dead center on the #1 cylinder before starting to disassemble? If so, you're in good shape. The cams will be in position, or close to it. The cam sprockets are keyed to the cams by a dowel. The dowels will be in the 6:00 position with the cams set to TDC. If you install the sprockets properly (for your 2.4 liter engine, and not backward as they're set on the 2.0) the arrows will be pointing up and the alignment marks will be close to where they should be. If you need to adjust the position of the cams a bit, just rotate them by grabbing the sprockets and carefully rotating them. If you turn them using the sprockets, you won't have to worry about loosening the sprocket retaining bolts.
If you started this job with the crankshaft in some random position, you're kind of screwed- you'll need to set the crankshaft to top dead center, but you run the risk of the pistons meeting valves. If you position the crankshaft three belt teeth counter clockwise from TDC, all of the pistons will be down in their bores, and you can set your cams to TDC, followed by setting the crankshaft to top dead center.
I hope this makes sense.

I aligned the crank with the timing marks before starting the project. When I removed the belt and cam sprocket bolts the sprockets moved a little. That's why I was asking.

I will be working on putting things back together here soon. 1st align the sprockets and then attempt to install new belt.