PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New PCM, SKIM and Ignition but wont start.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2017, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New PCM, SKIM and Ignition but wont start.

Hi I'm a new member but a long time PT Cruiser owner. We have a 2004 Turbo GT We bought new. This year it would not pass emissions. The car ran fine, started fine, Were it not for the emissions failure I would never know I had a problem. Two shops later both told us that the PCM was bad and needed to be replaced. I found one used that came with matching SKIM, Ignition and key. After disconnecting the battery I replaced all 3 and started the car. The car ran for 3 seconds and quit. Would not start again. All electrical worked but would not start. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and pulled ignition start and run fuses as well. Tried again but still would not start. So I put all the original equipment back and it still wont start. Remember I stated that it started and ran fine before. Ever get that feeling the problem is simple and right in front of you? I feel like I'm missing something I should be getting but not seeing it. Any suggestions please? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New PCM, SKIM and Ignition but wont start.

If it's a SKIM issue, the little red SKIM light will continue to blink. First, make sure you haven't switched any of the items and are using the right PCM, Key and SKIM module. Look for any trouble codes that were thrown when you installed the salvage PCM, SKIM and key. And make sure everything was plugged back in correctly.

Also, what was the car doing that it would not pass emissions and what was there that indicated the PCM as the problem?
Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

da...da..... double posting hahaha!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Jul 2017 at 05:09 pm.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Also, what was the car doing that it would not pass emissions and what was there that indicated the PCM as the problem?
He already stated that there was NO problem with the PT running in the first response.
The better question might have first been what state and county you live in?
i.e. in CA if any negative monitors are not authorize exemption you may not have any noticeable condition DTC or drivabilty but are not allowed to pass emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irontrain View Post
. We have a 2004 Turbo GT We bought new. This year it would not pass emissions. The car ran fine, started fine, Were it not for the emissions failure I would never know I had a problem.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Handy_Cruiser. SKIM is constant with old and new and back to old. All 3 (PCM, SKIM and Ignition) were installed correctly while battery was disconnected. Original codes were 2 or 3 at different times while at the shop. At emissions testing my PCM acted as new with no information. They asked if the car had been sitting or recently had the battery disconnected. No to both. While true we don't drive it much and only city driving especially in the winter. We put 200 miles on and came back with the same results. Layman's terms the computer is smart but mute one tech told us. He chased multiple codes and each time they were fine. The fact that now the car wont start even with the original PCM. SKIM and ignition back in has me thinking I'm missing something obvious. I even checked my battery wiring to see if I pulled the starter cable loose. Everything that should come on with the key in the run position does. Radio even works and battery is fully charged. Yet it wont start since I replaced everything and it ran for 3 seconds tops. I have since returned everything to original and still wont start where before it did.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Emissions tested in Will County Illinois
Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What engine trouble codes are you getting now?
Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks Handy_Cruiser. SKIM is constant with old and new and back to old. All 3 (PCM, SKIM and Ignition) were installed correctly while battery was disconnected. Original codes were 2 or 3 at different times while at the shop. At emissions testing my PCM acted as new with no information. They asked if the car had been sitting or recently had the battery disconnected. No to both. While true we don't drive it much and only city driving especially in the winter. We put 200 miles on and came back with the same results. Layman's terms the computer is smart but mute one tech told us. He chased multiple codes and each time they were fine. The fact that now the car wont start even with the original PCM. SKIM and ignition back in has me thinking I'm missing something obvious. I even checked my battery wiring to see if I pulled the starter cable loose. Everything that should come on with the key in the run position does. Radio even works and battery is fully charged. Yet it wont start since I replaced everything and it ran for 3 seconds tops. I have since returned everything to original and still wont start where before it did.
The PCM should be "learning" as the car is driven. Based on short-term adjustments to fuel trim by feedback from the O2 sensor, it will set long-term fuel trim numbers. Reviewing these "corrections" off the factory base numbers can show a number of problems. If they are all set to zero and other learned variables are all at zero or factory, something is wrong. And it's likely the PCM or the wiring harness. If it's the wiring harness, I would suspect a loss of power to the PCM when the ignition is off. Now the the engine will not start, this may now be in play when the ignition is on. But again, make sure the SKIM red light is not continuing to blink.

Since the PT now will not start with either PCM/SKIM/KEY setup, it's possibly the harness or the salvage PCM that is bad. My first move would be to start at the PCM plugs and visually inspect as much of the harness as possible for wear, fraying and broken insulation. Then I would start looking for continuity and voltage issues.

Others may have some good additional advice. You can download the service manual with complete wiring diagrams from my Google Drive. Here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Jul 2017 at 05:36 pm.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
What engine trouble codes are you getting now?
None car wont start
Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
None car wont start
When you are trying to start it is the red little security light on the dash staying on all the time or blinking all the time when you are still cranking it?

Also are you using the OBDII Scan Tool when you are checking to see if there are any engine trouble codes?