Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 2 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2017, 09:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Suspension Questions

FRONT: I have a knocking on left hand turns. It seems to go with the rotation of the tire and seems to be coming from the RF. It is more a feeling through the steering wheel than a sound, and does not seem like the clicking you get from a CV joint. Looking on line I saw people with similar issues from broken stabilizer links - nope. Mine are fine. Right LCA has blown out bushing. Can that be it? The CV joints have been changed at least once by professionals over the past few years - right side looks dry and fine.

On the left side is wet with oil or something. Possibly a CV boot, but they seem okay. More likely something leaking. I have had enough leaks and it looks more thin - like oil than like grease. I seem to remember that something on the left could cause a problem on left hand turns even though the weight is thrown right. Generally, I thought problems on left turns indicated trouble on the right and vice versa. Is there something with inner/outer that I should look at on the left that would show up on left turns?

I am hopeful that the LCA and torque struts cure my vibration issue. The lower is blown way out.

REAR: I was back there getting ready to adjust my parking brake and throw on the rear sway bar I got at the yard because what do you do when your car has all these problems? Make semi-useless modifications!

Anyway, my car has always been a bit crashy in the back. It rides kind of like my 'cuda when it had overfilled Monroe Max-Air. Like a shopping cart. I think the rear shocks are the originals - they are black and made by Tokico. I never changed them and we wouldn't have paid somebody to do it. I expected that the bump stops would be destroyed. Nope. They are like new. Is there a reason this thing doesn't seem to be getting much travel in the rear? Could it be something with the Watts link/bell crank? That does seem to have some rust around it, but didn't seem to have much play.

I didn't really hop around much under there since I knew I was going back and the front is a much bigger issue.

BTW, adjusting the parking brake at the star wheel seems near impossible with a screwdriver. I basically hits the rear "axle" (for lack of a better term). Maybe if I jack it from the suspension and let the wheel hang, but then the jackstand will probably be in the way. Seems like it will be fairly easy with an old school drum brake "spoon" so I will grab one. I don't see how people are seeing the star wheel, unless other cars are not in that 6 o'clock position.

Chromenut was a great guy, but in one of the write-ups he was claiming that you deserve death for not putting the rubber cap back in. All you are likely to lose in the parking brake. It's not like it will ruin the calipers. My parking brake hasn't worked right in years. Sure it is better to put it back, but in the grand scheme of things? Whoop-de-damn-doo.
Old 01 Aug 2017, 09:55 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Suspension Questions

Rear shocks
They were the first things I replaced when I bought the PT last year. It took 20 minutes to replace them and it was incredibly easy. Made a big difference in the ride. Before the replacement, the back felt like it was on springs only.

Rear parking brake
I replaced the drum shoes and I think I followed Eric The Car Guy's video and watched a couple of others for reference:
https://youtu.be/5yYGtK96L1Q

The shoes weren't very difficult to replace. The tricky part was stretching the springs. I used a pair of vise grips to grab the end of the spring so that all I had to do was stretch it by pulling on the pliers and not squeezing them while pulling at the same time.
Fk5 and NitroPT like this.
Old 01 Aug 2017, 10:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Rear shocks
They were the first things I replaced when I bought the PT last year. It took 20 minutes to replace them and it was incredibly easy. Made a big difference in the ride. Before the replacement, the back felt like it was on springs only.

Rear parking brake
I replaced the drum shoes and I think I followed Eric The Car Guy's video and watched a couple of others for reference:
https://youtu.be/5yYGtK96L1Q

The shoes weren't very difficult to replace. The tricky part was stretching the springs. I used a pair of vise grips to grab the end of the spring so that all I had to do was stretch it by pulling on the pliers and not squeezing them while pulling at the same time.
My rear suspension feels stiff if anything. In my experience blown shocks are usually bouncy. I knew they are easy, that is why I know we didn't pay anybody to change them. Thought the back would feel bouncy, but if anything it is the opposite. Might as well do 'em anyway. It is waaaay past time.

I don't have to replace my drum shoes. Just tighten the star wheel. The brake works, but you have to really crank on the handle to get it up there and it is getting hard to get it to release I usually leave it in gear as a fail safe.
Old 01 Aug 2017, 12:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Take a look at your power steering hoses for that leak. It could even be the pressure switch leaking?
Fk5 likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Aug 2017, 01:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Your knocking could be a bad wheel bearing. Check the bearing for play.
Old 04 Aug 2017, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
My rear suspension feels stiff if
This was the number one customer survey complaint from first time buyers of the PT Cruiser.

The antiquanted wattslink and shock rear suspension makes it less like a cadilac ride than other model Chrysler vehicles close to the paltform as a PT Cruiser which remember is NOT a car but a hybred kinda more like a van or truck.

The elimination of the* rear sway bar and going to a progressive rear spring in the rear only will smooth out the ride. Also if ride quality is the objective DO NOT go with anything except OEM direct replacement shock. No high pressure gas or heavy duty replacements.

*The rear sway bar became an optional part and no loner manufactured install for the reason I just posted. It NOT needed for the standard daily driving stability of a PT Cruiser for the same reason as I posted that the manufacture Chrysler determined it was not a necessary suspension part.

Busted_PT and rsrocket1 like this.