PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
v-8 mileage!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2017, 03:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool v-8 mileage!

I purchased this car not only because it's large enough to fit my wheelchair but also because the milage a V-4 was reported to give. I'm flabbergasted that the car gets 13MPG City & 17 MPG HWY! My high school V-8 got that kind of mileage but gas was 35 cents a gallon in those days!
Any suggestions for improving mileage would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05 Aug 2017, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: v-8 mileage!

First, it's NOT a V4, it's an inline 4. The PT cruiser is heavy (but rides smooth) and is geared wrong for good mileage. BUT, From what I've heard and read, the PT was classed as "truck" and therefore got better mileage than almost all of the Chrysler truck products of the time so it raised the corporate fuel mileage of the whole truck class. Chrysler liked that.

Weight does a lot to cut fuel mileage. If you don't use the back seats, they can be taken out pretty easily and weigh about 100 lbs. Give your tires a couple extra pounds of air over the sticker and drive conservatively.
LionPT likes this.
Old 05 Aug 2017, 03:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you should be getting 21-27mpg. mine was 21 MPG driving it like i stole it. you have an issue somewhere and definitely have room to improve

i would try:

clean air filter
tires at 40psi
new oxygen sensors

and let us know how much it improves
Fk5 likes this.

Last edited by rob302; 05 Aug 2017 at 03:20 pm.
Old 05 Aug 2017, 03:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Might be dirty fuel injectors, intake valves, and/or combustion chamber. Try this. Best on the market. AMSOIL P.i. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive . And this http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...-EA?zo=1181889 .
cruserdad1976 likes this.

Last edited by Gold2006; 05 Aug 2017 at 04:07 pm.
Old 05 Aug 2017, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyGram57 View Post
I purchased this car not only because it's large enough to fit my wheelchair but also because the milage a V-4 was reported to give. I'm flabbergasted that the car gets 13MPG City & 17 MPG HWY! My high school V-8 got that kind of mileage but gas was 35 cents a gallon in those days!

Yep, you should be averaging somewhere around 22 mpg. You may want to check for fuel leaks. I'd start with the fuel service line to the injector rail and the injector seals at the fuel rail. If these leak, it will often evaporate during driving and you will never see a drip.

And let's not put down V8 engines. Both our R/T Hemi engines get the same or better fuel mileage than my PT's ever got. When it comes to engines, newer and bigger is usually better nowadays.
Old 06 Aug 2017, 01:39 am
Regular Cruiser

I drive 53 miles one way to work (highway) and my MPG fluctuates a bit but it's been consistently getting 25-27 MPG. This is at 68-70 MPH

When was the last time the spark plugs were replaced? The spark plugs are not in the easiest place to get at but if you recently purchased the car I would bet the plugs haven't been changed in some time. If you replace the plugs wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the plug wires while you're at it.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 06 Aug 2017, 06:29 am
Veteran Cruiser

I agree that there's room for improvement. I had an 03 GT that I averaged a tad over 22 mpg in. You really should probably start with what rob suggested. Especially a tune up!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 05:20 pm
Young Cruiser

No one mentioned if the AC was being used. I assume not. I had a 02 bought new with manual trans., and now an 03 GT turbo with AT. Neither ever got over 25mpg even straight highway driving. During AC time, 17-19 city is normal. You can get less by being sloppy with the throttle. If you're getting 20 combined w/o AC, you should be happy.
I laugh when I see people touting the mpg in a for sale ad. There aren't many small 4 cyl. cars that get worse.
And this is without the back seat, not hot-rodding it.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 08:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyGram57 View Post
I
I would not really read to much into what member respond with. Most only go by a couple of examples of PT Cruisers and what is posted on the internet. If you talk to your local shops you may find that with any vehicle there are way to many variables for any forum to just say what you personally should be getting for MPG. Members and owners of PT Cruisers unless they are intending to take you aside and give one on one help should only report ther claims to their personal PT cruiser and not suggest what you should or should not be getting. We have now in the last 5 years recorded working on over 23 different PT Cruisers all years and state of tune and they all get between 15-24 reported MPG average with and without AC use. Chrysler had many complaints from owners in the first few years and it was all around poor fuel economy but on this forum the trend is different? Perhaps many of us tend to be gear heads or real mechanics and know how to get the best MPG out of a vehicle. While there may be a few that simply dont want to admit that overall they get really sheeety MPG overall with their PT cruiser.

Just do all the normal tune up,tire pressure etc., and most of all watch your driving habits and I am sure that you will improve your MPG.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Aug 2017, 08:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Y When it comes to engines, newer and bigger is usually better nowadays.
ROLMAO..
This is NOT even close to accurate

What dream world do you live in ...

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN