• 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2017, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 rear brake caliper question

Hi all,

I searched the forum for an answer but my search skills are about as lacking as my mechanic skills. Anywho...

I am replacing the rear pads on my 2008 pt cruiser. Do I need the special caliper tool to compress the pt's caliper? Or will a standard c clamp be sufficient? I needed the special tool for my 2010 town & country and was not prepared.

Thanks for your time and info!
Old 08 Aug 2017, 07:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: 2008 rear brake caliper question

Not sure about an '08 but on my '01 I used a C clamp to compress the piston, just like the front calipers. I doubt they changed that over the years...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 12 Aug 2017, 07:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 rear brake caliper question

I just did my 2007 2 days ago. I used a c clamp. I had to replace my parking brakes because at one time the park brake pivot lever must have froze up and worn down the shoes. Make sure while you are in there you check that these pivots are loose and lubricated. You'll see them when you pull off the rotors. Service manual says to remove the hub to change the parking brake shoes but I did not need to.
let me know if you have any other questions.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 10:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have never used a c clamp on my calipers. I know that's the normal way, but I have always done it the quick way. Before I unbolt the caliper, I simply use a small prybar or flat head screwdriver through the slot on top of the caliper and pry against the top edge of the rotor. It is super quick and I don't have to mess with c clamps or spreader tools or whatever.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 12:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I have never used a c clamp on my calipers. I know that's the normal way, but I have always done it the quick way. Before I unbolt the caliper, I simply use a small prybar or flat head screwdriver through the slot on top of the caliper and pry against the top edge of the rotor. It is super quick and I don't have to mess with c clamps or spreader tools or whatever.
DO NOT DO THIS unless you want to take the chance damaging brake parts!

This has to either be a joke or a response to see if I would respond.. WOW! OMFG!

& ase =Already Seriously Experienced
RICE(r)Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
Old 13 Aug 2017, 05:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

^^ I've seen a LOT of people do it like that over the years, Lynn. I don't say anything, but I wouldn't buy a used car from them, unless I got a very good deal!
NitroPT likes this.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 13 Aug 2017, 09:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Some brake calipers pistons are made out of some type of ceramic material. So be carful not to pry on the lip of one of these. Not sure if these were used on a PT.
NitroPT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Aug 2017, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Some brake calipers pistons are made out of some type of ceramic material. So be carful not to pry on the lip of one of these. Not sure if these were used on a PT.
If he was using anything to pry with, wouldn't he put it between the old pad and the rotor to push the piston back? If so, you don't care about the old pad and you could put something on the rotor to prevent any damage, correct?

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
146k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 13 Aug 2017, 10:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
If he was using anything to pry with, wouldn't he put it between the old pad and the rotor to push the piston back? If so, you don't care about the old pad and you could put something on the rotor to prevent any damage, correct?
RICK you DONT PRY brake parts !
chuzz likes this.

& ase =Already Seriously Experienced
RICE(r)Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Aug 2017 at 02:01 pm.
Closed Thread