PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where can I buy engine parts

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2017, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Where can I buy engine parts

I sent my engine to the machine shop and got the crank turned 10/10 and I can't find a auto parts store that sells any thing other then standard or 25 mm rod and crank bearings , where can I buy parts to build my engine,06 2.4 touring edition. Thanks for the hel
Old 10 Aug 2017, 10:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Where can I buy engine parts

It's 0.25mm which = 0.00984" so realistically the 25mm = .010

Capture.JPG

I would call the summit racing tech line, order Kings or summit brand, and bring them back to the machine shop to measure. A .25mm under summit branded King bearing would be my first try. Cheapest and most likely to be perfect, IMO

I build Signs though not engines, so just my 2

Last edited by rob302; 11 Aug 2017 at 08:58 am.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I don't know why they do that metric crap. I gave a fabrication shop a measurement in mm for something I needed turned on a lathe and the guy kinda laughed at me about it
Old 11 Aug 2017, 07:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
I don't know why they do that metric crap. I gave a fabrication shop a measurement in mm for something I needed turned on a lathe and the guy kinda laughed at me about it
Because we are, almost literally, the only country on the planet that doesn't use the metric system. Well, there's Myanmar and Liberia, so we're not completely alone, but still...

I remember when the U.S. made it's half-assed attempt at converting to metric. In typical fashion, it was done in the stupidest way possible. Rather than explaining the system's inherent simplicity and beautiful consistency (EVERYTHING is done in multiples of 10, and you can even make nice conversions between length and volume and know you'll have the right answer), metric measures were just tacked on to existing "standard" ones. So a quart jar of pickles got labeled "1 quart / 0.946353 liters". Would have been really easy to just start selling in metric sizes, but instead consumers just saw a bunch of confusing numbers that didn't make any sense, and dug in their heels. The only thing that stuck was the two liter soda bottle, probably because it was already a standard size elsewhere. So now we're still stuck with sixteenths of an inch, and 12 inches to a foot, and three feet to a yard, and 5280 feet to a mile, and no way of easily knowing how big to make a rectangular tank that'll hold, say, 25 gallons, whereas any schoolkid can tell you the dimensions of, say, a rectangular tank that would hold 100 liters.
We are dumb for not using the metric system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg metric-system-map_0.jpg (72.3 KB, 6 views)
rob302 likes this.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 07:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

'MERICA!

Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Re: Where can I buy engine parts

MOTOR WAREHOUSE
(916) 920-2221

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 Aug 2017, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm with Rob. 0.25mm is used as 0.010" almost across the board in different industries.

But I'm really surprised the machine shop that did the work can't advise you on this. If they routinely do engine work, this should come up all the time. I do most things for myself up to and sometimes including minor surgery (the hillbilly way). But I have a goto guy for engine machine work because I don't do it enough to have or want my own equipment to do it. And my goto guy has been very helpful. Once armed with the right spec's I can then shop for the best brand parts and best price online whether it be Summit, Amazon or eBay. So if me, I'd go back to the guys that did the machine work and ask them. But if I didn't feel confident in their ability to advise me, I'd likely look for a new machine shop next time. Because again, this would have to come up often at machine shops that do engine work and even full service mechanics don't usually rebuild engines everyday the way they once did.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Aug 2017 at 11:07 am.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did talk to the guy at the machine shop and he was going to get me an engine kit with pistons and all but it was 700 dollars,so I told him that I would put my own kit together and boy has it been a problem finding parts,i even called a Chrysler dealership here and the parts guy told me he has never sold a set of bearings for that engine in 25 years,he checked with their wearhouse and the don't have any of them for sell.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 01:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes06ptcruiser View Post
I did talk to the guy at the machine shop and he was going to get me an engine kit with pistons and all but it was 700 dollars,so I told him that I would put my own kit together and boy has it been a problem finding parts,i even called a Chrysler dealership here and the parts guy told me he has never sold a set of bearings for that engine in 25 years,he checked with their wearhouse and the don't have any of them for sell.
In that case, call Summit or one of the other big online parts houses. With any luck you will get someone that can help you. And if not, maybe they can transfer you someone that can. From the dealership's perspective, these are mostly disposable engines. They would not likely rebuild one unless a recall called for it.

Years ago when I worked parts, all the major parts stores carried rebuild kits with a choice of oversized piston rings and inserts. But even if you find a local store that does that (such as NAPA) today, you will still need to confirm the sizes based on the machine work done if there is a metric to SAE conversion to be done since some decimal rounding and loss of precision has to occur. Summit or one of the other parts houses recommended above can likely get you there.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Aug 2017 at 01:21 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 01:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Re: Where can I buy engine parts

MOTOR WAREHOUSE
(916) 920-2221
they want sell to the public