• 1 Post By SpaceMouse
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By SpaceMouse
  • 2 Post By dsab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2017, 08:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 PT cams upside down

Hello all from Upstate NY. I recently purchased a 01 limited with 89,000 miles. It was having over heating issues so I'm doing the head gasket, timing belt and water pump. When I got to the cams the writing is upside down on both when at TDC. From everything I've read they should be reversed. Can anyone verify? Once I pulled the head the #1 and #4 Pistons are up. I would post pictures but I can't figure out how to do it. Thanks!
Old 16 Aug 2017, 08:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 01 PT cams upside down

If you were to turn the crankshaft 1 full rotation and they would be pointing up since the cam turns once when the crank rotates twice.

Yes you should spin them 180 and proceed
Old 16 Aug 2017, 08:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I sent the head out to be checked. When I reinstall the lifters do they need to be primed?
Old 16 Aug 2017, 08:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

I would soak them in oil if it we're me. I've never messed with the pt lifters though. Only Ford. So I can't say what's correct
Old 16 Aug 2017, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't worry about the writing. I did a survey of camshafts in salvage yard PT Cruisers a few years ago. On 2001 and 2002 models, I found a few cams with strange paint, writing and casting numbers on them. I figure Chrysler may have gotten in batches from alternate suppliers when ramping up production. We do that kind of thing where I work too.

With the timing marks on the crank and OEM cam sprockets in the right place, original PT cams will be right side up with the dowel holes pointing straight up. Writing does not matter.

But as Rob said, the crank has to rotate twice for every cam rotation on a four stroke engine like this. So if you installed both cams perfectly upside down, it would not matter. Once the crank was rotated once, all timing makes would line up correctly. However, there's no reason to install camshafts that way. Follow the timing marks correctly and all will be good.

PS: Here's a link to a 2001 thru 2004 PT service manual I've uploaded to my Google Drive. You may find this helpful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Aug 2017 at 10:01 am.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 10:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
With the timing marks on the crank and OEM cam sprockets in the right place, original PT cams will be right side up with the dowel holes pointing straight up. Writing does not matterl
When I pulled my '06 apart, the dowel pins were in the 6:00 position with the cam pulleys in the #1 TDC position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170722_174441.jpg (94.9 KB, 13 views)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
When I pulled my '06 apart, the dowel pins were in the 6:00 position with the cam pulleys in the #1 TDC position.
My Arkansas speak may not be plane enough. I'm kind'a simple minded when it comes to speakin' good. But we ain't talking about no cam sprocket dowel pins here. I'm talking about the large alignment dowel holes on the body of the camshafts between cyl. #1 and #2.

PS: This is a great photo. Notice that the intake camshaft dowel hole is just a little forward. That's because the intake cam doesn't want to sit with the dowel hole straight up due to pressure from the valve springs. And this is often why folks get there cams one tooth off with putting on a new belt.
3rcruiser and SpaceMouse like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Aug 2017 at 03:49 pm.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 10:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Ah, got it. And yeah, I ran into that as well (the intake cam not wanting to sit straight). Used this to assure proper tension in the system when I installed the belt. I cocked the exhaust cam similarly forward with the crankshaft set so that the indicator on the crankcase was aligned with the leading edge of the tooth on the sprocket (so a half-tooth retarded). Once I got the belt over the tensioner, everything lined up perfectly.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 12:38 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopedmonkey View Post
Thanks for the reply. I sent the head out to be checked. When I reinstall the lifters do they need to be primed?
You can prime the lifters. Some shops will tell you it's not needed but I'm a bit old school and prime them. At the beginning of the month I rebuilt the head on my Cruiser and replaced the lifters. I like to replace related components on bigger jobs and if I'm rebuilding a head with the original lifters they're getting replaced. Valves seals too. I also replaced the head bolts with new ones.

I like to fix things once and well. For me spending a bit more when doing a job helps to avoid going back in and replacing an old component when I could have easily replaced it when everything is reassembled.
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT lifters oil pretty well. To be exact, the Turbo Omni crowd likes to use PT Cruiser lifters in their cars with shims to make them tall enough. PT lifters don't have very much preload and the springs are fairly stiff. One oiled, they won't collapse too much.

Also, the Turbo Omni folks spend a lot of time dealing with lifters because the ones designed for their engines tend to fail more often. And there's a pretty good consensus among them that salvage lifters out of an N/A PT Cruiser are as good as new ones and often advise folks to use salvage PT lifters rather than new ones in their Omni's. Add to that my own experience with my own PT GT and several salvage cars, and I came to the conclusions that these rarely need to be replaced. Plus, I have a cup full of used PT lifters right now and they all seem pretty pristine.

But check the cam lobs and rocker/followers. I've seen lots of wear on some of these while others look great. I've always figured the difference was regular oil changes. But there's no way to know on a salvage car.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 18 Aug 2017 at 07:14 am.