Advertisements
Engine irratic idle on startup and acceleration between shifts

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sinbad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2017, 05:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine idle lopes on startup and acceleration between shifts

Got a quick question. Done some searches and read some threads, but thought I would throw this out to the forum. Just bought an 05 pt cruiser, 2.4 non turbo, manual. On startup, the motor starts right up, but for short amount of time the engine will lope, then accelerate for a little bit, and idle levels out. Also does the same on acceleration between shifts (manual) at times. Most point at the idle air control, so took it out cleaned it, and checked that it is not stuck, and it actuates just fine and no codes. Any ideas to troubleshoot further. Previous owner has changed timing belt, water pump, idlers, and also PCV valve. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by farmerbob02; 17 Aug 2017 at 05:36 am. Reason: better wording for better understanding
Old 17 Aug 2017, 08:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine idle lopes on startup and acceleration between shifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbob02 View Post
Got a quick question. Done some searches and read some threads, but thought I would throw this out to the forum. Just bought an 05 pt cruiser, 2.4 non turbo, manual. On startup, the motor starts right up, but for short amount of time the engine will lope, then accelerate for a little bit, and idle levels out. Also does the same on acceleration between shifts (manual) at times. Most point at the idle air control, so took it out cleaned it, and checked that it is not stuck, and it actuates just fine and no codes. Any ideas to troubleshoot further. Previous owner has changed timing belt, water pump, idlers, and also PCV valve. Any help is appreciated.
How are you checking for codes? Are you using an OBDII Scan Tool?
Old 17 Aug 2017, 03:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Engine idle lopes on startup and acceleration between shifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbob02 View Post

This is almost certainly your problem:

Duralast Idle Air Control Valve AC353 - Read Reviews on Duralast #AC353

I'm not recommending this make or supplier by the way - but thats what they look like. You can try taking it off the throttle body and cleaning it but you're probably best buying a new one from a decent supplier.
The cheap chinese ones on Fleabay are shit - don't bother, and don't ask me how I know this
rockandroller likes this.