PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
FUEL economy is just REALLY REALLY bad...?

Like Tree25Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2017, 07:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation FUEL economy is just REALLY REALLY bad...?

Got my 05 Crysler PT Touring edition a week ago and the tank was full when I bought it(they said they only use premium for the car)...they said they just did the full tank

Now, the odometer is down 75%(just the bottom quarter remaining) and all i've gotten out of this is 175KMS.....like seriously?

With this, I can expect it to be just over 200kms maybe 220 kms for what THEY said a 45 litre tank...?

Please help...as a student, this might make me homeless lol
Just kidding...
Old 17 Aug 2017, 07:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: FUEL economy is just REALLY REALLY bad...?

Well 'full' is subjective. Unless you topped it off yourself, there is a considerable amount of space at the top of the tank which could remain empty. Often, when it is truly full, the car will remain at the full mark for a long time before it begins dropping. So it likely wasn't truly full when you bought it.

I used to play that game with rental cars all the time...I would pump in the bare minimum to get the car to read full, even though it was really far from it.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 08:25 am
Senior Cruiser

This comes up around here fairly often. You generally can't tell from just one tank. Especially when you just bought the car, that often leads to a ton of idling. Fill it up and reset the trip odometer. I would suggest that you start looking for problems if you are getting worse than an approximate 20 mpg which is around 11.75 liters/100km.

Where are you? Canada or Europe? Is the car a turbo or N/A? Stick or auto? Generally, you will see between around 17 mpg straight city with an auto car and maybe between 26-28 mpg with a carefully driven car on the highway. Driving style makes a huge difference, particularly idling when waiting. My wife sits in her car enjoying the a/c. She gets 25 mpg in it and I get 33.

FWIW, not to make you feel worse, but I thought they didn't have 12 gallon/45 liter tanks, but had 15 gallon tanks which would be closer to 57 liters.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep,

That turbo lite has got the 41TE automatic transmission. Fuel mileage should be around 22 mpg or 9.35 kpl. Run a couple of tanks through the car measuring the distance with the trip meter. If you get much below 8.50 kpl with a mixture of town and highway driving, then you may want to look at a few things. Also, the PCM will retard the ignition timing if it gets many hits from the knock sensor due to low octane fuel. That may reduce fuel mileage to some degree. Using 89 octane as Myckee recommends may correct this. But as suggested by others, give the car some time and run a couple of tanks of fuel through it before making any decisions.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Aug 2017 at 09:52 am.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This thread provided below although really more or less pertains to adding performance parts or increasing power output the general information also go without saying that if you do not completely check out your ride you have no idea why some things like lower MPG then expected are being related to.

Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Aug 2017, 10:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yep,

That turbo lite has got the 41TE automatic transmission. Fuel mileage should be around 22 mpg or 9.35 kpl. Run a couple of tanks through the car measuring the distance with the trip meter. If you get much below 8.50 kpl with a mixture of town and highway driving, then you may want to look at a few things. Also, the PCM will retard the ignition timing if it gets many hits from the knock sensor due to low octane fuel. That may reduce fuel mileage to some degree. Using 89 octane as Myckee recommends may correct this. But as suggested by others, give the car some time and run a couple of tanks of fuel through it before making any decisions.
He has a turbo lite? The knock sensor stuff may be accurate, but I usually run my GT on 87 and it does not drop below 24 unless I am almost 100% city driving and city driving to me is CITY (NYC or DC) driving, not like most of you guys.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
He has a turbo lite? The knock sensor stuff may be accurate, but I usually run my GT on 87 and it does not drop below 24 unless I am almost 100% city driving and city driving to me is CITY (NYC or DC) driving, not like most of you guys.
The knock sensor does not really work as what is being implied. There is just more to what and how the PCM is effected and what is really done.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Aug 2017 at 08:28 pm.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I've read these kinds of reports on both this and the SRT4 forum. Some GT's and SRT4 Neons seem to run fine on regular gas. It could be the individual engines or the type of 87 octane gas available in some areas. Gasoline is a mixture and may not be the same thing chemically from one place to another depending on where the crude oil came from and where it was refined.

What makes me think Myckee's recommendation might be of extra importance here is that the OP is from outside the US and he mentioned that his car has something on it indicating the use of premium fuel. I've never seen that on a turbo lite here in the States. Either way, it's just one more among several things to check out if the OP's fuel mileages still look substantially low after a couple of tanks of fuel.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

LOL lot of assumption without more information specif to the mechanical condition of StudentCruiser

But then ultimately it is generally the tune of the engine that translates what MPG is achieved.

Octane plays a part if it is also understood correctly.
chuzz and StudentCruiser like this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:29 am
Senior Cruiser

[QUOTE=NitroPT;665844]The knock sensor does not really work as what is being implied. There is just more to what and how the PCM is effected and what is really done.

I'm not really worried about it. My statement stands. Lower octane isn't likely to reduce your mileage. Any difference is not discernible. It would be more likely to cause an issue with a GT than I turbo lite. True, I keep mine out of the boost (not completely obviously, but very lightly) when on 87. I'm not beating on it like a rented mule - like that Mustang guy on here.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Aug 2017 at 08:29 pm.
Closed Thread