PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 non-turbo won't start -- no RPM on tach

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Aug 2017, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 non-turbo won't start -- no RPM on tach

I'll try to shorten my long tale of woe -- let me know if you want more details!

Engine overheated and blew the head gasket. I did a tear-down, and found piston damage as well. I've installed 4 new pistons, a new head gasket (and a spacer, since the machine shop had to shave off 12 1000s to resurface the head), a new timing belt and a new water pump.

The engine cranks just fine, but will not start. The only error code is P0113 (IAT sensor -- one of the wires has broken right at the connector; a replacement has been ordered). I have spark, and starter fluid does not help. Today I noticed that when the engine is cranking, the tach needle doesn't move. Should it?

At this point, my only other thoughts are to check the fuses and perhaps the cylinder compression (which had better be fine after everything I've gone through!).

Any other diagnostic ideas? Thanks!
Old 20 Aug 2017, 04:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 non-turbo won't start -- no RPM on tach

Check to see if the camshaft sensor connector and ignition coil connectors have been swapped. These two plugs are almost identical, will fit in either location and often get swapped after head gasket job. I know you say you have spark, but check anyway to make sure.

After that, make sure the cam sensor is correctly hooked up and the the leads at not damaged. This would give you the symptoms you describe. Also, it's possible to change out broken wires in a PCM plug yourself if that's where the one you mentioned is. The cam sensor lead is likely pin #34 and #27 on the second (C2) PCM connector.

Other members may have additional good suggestions. You can download a copy of the service manual from my Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Aug 2017 at 05:14 pm.
Old 20 Aug 2017, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you check the engine compression on all cylinders if you have a strong spark.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 20 Aug 2017, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

@Handy_Cruiser:
I'll check the two connectors as you suggest. The camshaft sensor should be okay -- I've had it go bad on me before, and it created an error code (which I don't have this time).

@ptcruisersteve:
I think I will check the compression, but it better not be a problem! I spent just over $500 and more than a month working on this (several delays getting various parts shipped)!

Thanks for your help.

Does anyone know (or can you just check for me next time you start your car) if the PT Cruiser activates the tachometer when the engine is cranking (but before it actually starts)?
Old 21 Aug 2017, 06:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

I never noticed the tach working in my 03 GT unless the engine was running. It never moved while cranking.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 07:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just another piece of information which may or may not mean anything. I've also noticed that the oil pressure idiot light is on. Don't know if this is a light that comes on until the engine runs (makes sense -- the oil pressure is probably pretty low until the oil pump gets spinning).
Old 21 Aug 2017, 07:59 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I just went out and started SOOO BIG. The tach stayed dormant while turning the engine over. It only began indicating when the engine started.

Are you getting fuel flow?

Happy PTin', ptprice
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 21 Aug 2017 at 08:39 am.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieuallen View Post
I have spark, and starter fluid does not help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
I just went out and started SOOO BIG. The tach stayed dormant while turning the engine over. It only began indicating when the engine started.

Are you getting fuel flow?

Happy PTin', ptprice
If it was a fuel flow issue starter fluid should have started the engine.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 06:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

What color is the spark on your plugs? If it isn't a nice blue/white color and is more yellow or orange, it's too weak. You may have a weak coil.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 08:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just to follow-up:

I bought new spark plugs, because my memory says the spark was in the yellow/orange range. No help at all.

I got a compression gauge -- WOW! Compression is 35, 30, 30, 65 (cylinders 1-4). So I've got a big problem!

Since I've already replaced the head gasket and resurfaced the cylinder head, I'm guessing that it's a valve problem, or a crack somewhere that I didn't see.

I am now so far out of my skill level, I'm afraid it's probably going to have to go to the shop. My only other alternative is the "poor man's leakdown test", or just replacing the entire cylinder head. Lordy, please don't make me tear this engine down a third time!!