PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Which Oil ?

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2017, 12:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Which Oil ?

Have a 07, and it has had 5w30 forever. Starting to use about 1qt every 3k. Is there any reason to change over to a synthetic? car has 92k miles.
Gold2006 likes this.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Which Oil ?

Synthetic oils have a few advantages over most conventional oils. Most are PAO-based. This means they were synthesized from natural or light LP gas. So this oil is made up of just one type (or small number of different) molecules. Conventional oil is a mixture of many refined crude oil components and may vary greatly batch to batch even though the overall spec's are the same. This means that while the majority of the conventional oil will hold up to the heat and wear specified, some fraction of it will not. Overtime this can lead to carbon buildup or even a breakdown to more acidic products. Viscosity can also be compromised over time. The synthetic oil does not generally have these problems. And synthetic oil is often just the thing for engines with "hot spots" like the turbocharger on a turbo PT.

Now, does that matter in an everyday-use N/A PT Cruiser if the conventional oil is changed regularly as it should? The answer is not very much. As long as the conventional oil is changed as it should, there's not much advantage to spending the extra money for the synthetic oil. However, since some PAO oils have become more competitively priced with the better conventional oils, whose to judge?

On the matter of oil consumption, check for leaks and change out the PCV valve and make sure the PCV system is working as it should. Some of the more popular oil brands have special conventional oil for older cars and this oil is often said to be able to reduce oil consumption. I don't know about that. But it does seem to last longer in some very old and warn out engines. At least it has for me. And don't change the weight of your oil. Changing from 5W30 really does you no good.

PS: One thing I have found that works to some degree is "Engine Rerstorer". I've used it in several old engines and it does seem to help with oil consumption.
Gold2006 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Aug 2017 at 02:29 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 04:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
Have a 07, and it has had 5w30 forever. Starting to use about 1qt every 3k. Is there any reason to change over to a synthetic? car has 92k miles.
As a retired Shell Oil Chemist and an AMSOIL Direct Jobber for 13 years, I'd say for most drivers, yes. But it also depends on the synthetic oil used.

Most PT Cruiser owners fall under the severe service definition as stated in their owners manual:
• Day or night temperatures are below 32o F (0o C). • Stop and go driving.
• Extensive engine idling.
• Driving in dusty conditions.
• Short trips of less than 10 miles (16 km).
• More than 50% of your driving is at sustained
high speeds during hot weather, above 90o F
(32o C).
• Trailer towing.��
• Taxi,police,ordeliveryservice(commercialservice).� �
• Off-road or desert operation.
• If equipped for and operating with E-85 (ethanol) fuel.

SEVERE - ALL ENGINES
3,000 miles or 3 months Maintenance Service Schedule
Change engine oil and engine oil filter.

Most synthetic oils are Group III oils, which are conventional Group II oil that has gone thru an extra step during refining to become Group III which can legally be called synthetic oil. These are typically a little better than conventional oil due to fewer impurities, and thus a little better low and high temperature performance. Though they may have a little higher performance, these oils are still recommended by the OEM and the oil companies themselves for the same severe service intervals suggested for conventional oil.

I prefer Group IV and V chemical synthetic oils as they are more pure, higher performing and may be consumed less than the conventional synthetic oils and sometimes recommend 12,000 and 15,000 severe oil and filter changes up to 1 year. I prefer to change my oil only once per year compared to the 4 times a year that the PT manual suggests. Plus the gain in fuel economy may pay for the cost of the oil. AMSOIL is the only one that makes those extended recommendations for severe service intervals and what I and over 400 accounts of mine have used for the past 13 years with no issues. Saves a lot of time and money. And better for our environment.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by Gold2006; 21 Aug 2017 at 04:55 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 05:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
uuummm.... how long is forever?! or did you just word that wrong? because ive had 10w-40 in my generator forever. so its no surprise that it burns oil.... ? run whats on sale- and get in the habit of changing your intervals according to time... or when it gets black! (ish)
Old 21 Aug 2017, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MOBIL 1 Full Synthetic has an ANNUAL PROTECTION oil that's Proven Protection for 1 FULL YEAR so you have a choice if you plan to switch.
Handy_Cruiser and Carnut like this.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 05:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can guess or try everything that is bottled but the reality the buck stops when you can get an oil analysis done.
I have had and built so many engines from street to full race (1000HP +++ ) spanning over 4 decades and have used non synthetic,,blend, Castro Bean, non detergent and fully synthetic motor oils and they ALL seem to do the same thing for an engine. Most of the HYPED is advertising, spend your money as you think it does the most good.
If it ,makes you feel good than run synthetic if you really cant afford it the non synthetic will do just fine!

For me "most" (not all ) I only use synthetic because it makes me feel good.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Gold2006 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Aug 2017 at 05:40 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 05:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
MOBIL 1 Full Synthetic has an ANNUAL PROTECTION oil that's Proven Protection for 1 FULL YEAR so you have a choice if you plan to switch.
Maybe. Only for non severe service or a vehicle out of warranty. For PT severe service, it is still 3,000 miles or 3 months.
"Follow the oil change interval in your owner’s manual if your vehicle is operated in any of the following severe service conditions: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions." AMSOIL Signature Series has no such restrictions and proven for 45 years without a single oil related failure.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Aug 2017 at 05:42 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 06:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you ever wondered.....

FROM “Scamsoil Skeptics”

.....as a “engineer” haven’t you at least ever wondered why Amsoil just hasn’t caught on to the mainstream car guy in masses? You guys don’t even make up 1% of the market.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 06:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Have you ever wondered.....

FROM “Scamsoil Skeptics”

.....as a “engineer” haven’t you at least ever wondered why Amsoil just hasn’t caught on to the mainstream car guy in masses? You guys don’t even make up 1% of the market.
AMSOIL is well over 1% (3-7% actually) of the synthetic market https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-by-company/ and 80% of the extended interval market. And the largest privately owned synthetic oil company in the world. And growing every year. I'd say they caught on quite well for a small family owned American oil company that wasn't around until 1973!

Last edited by Gold2006; 22 Aug 2017 at 04:11 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 08:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am going to do what my freind on this forum hates ..name drop.. JOHN FORCE, he is a freind and we talk on and off for years. He uses whatever the sponsorship gives him. I personally know that in the late 70's and into the 80's he used NONE synthetic oil off and on through out his career, NEVER once did a engine ever fail because of using any specific motor oil type.

If you doubt look it up ,look him up , give him a call talk to him or his daughter.

We also have the great The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which makes it VER clear about what we want to use in our engines.

As I suggested that is seldom taken if you question any advise pertaining to what motor oil to use contact Black Laboratories get a TEST KIT send in a sample and see what it tell you. Empirical information CAN NOT be argued ...at least with anyone on this forum. \

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

BTW I do prefer AMZOIL if for another reason the it truly is the best IMHO for choice in engine motor oils available second choice RED LINE
However I mainly use Mobil 1...because I have so many cases from the left over stock of my former brick and mortar automotive businesses./b

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Aug 2017 at 03:50 pm.