PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02, bucking, loss of power, stalling

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rob302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2017, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02, bucking, loss of power, stalling UPDATE: oil on crankshaft position sensor?

In the last two months my car has been towed to the mechanic at least 6 times.

Initial issue was that the car got a block from home, completely lost power, no lights came on dash before hand. After letting it sit for about 15 minutes I was able to get it cranked back up and home. Codes came up indicating downstream O2 sensor, I informed shop of this, but they were convinced that the main cause was a loose gas cap

Told me I could go ahead and order the sensors and they would do that at the same time as a basic tune up, which she was due for.

I drove it for extremely short distances over the next week, until the day that it stalled out on me 5 times in 3 miles, and didn't want to restart. But I was waiting on parts to arrive.

So ... replaced both upstream and downstream O2 sensors, plugs and wires. Car ran great for 2 days, wonderful pickup, no issues. Then on the way home car bucked, and there was a decrease in power. I let them know. They said drive it another day or so and see what happens. Next day car gets 2 blocks from home, same thing, bucks, loses power, but power comes back on without me needing to restart. Code this time is showing 0320. I told them this. There was, however, no check engine light on at all. They said "bad gas" perhaps. Nah, I'd already thought that and filled with Premium from a different location. Ran fuel injector additive as suggested. No change.

Had it towed back to them to install the crankshaft sensor as the latest code suggested. I've had her back two days now, and she's back to the same behavior.

Was driving fine all morning, for a total of at least 50 miles. Multiple stops during the trips, no issues restarting when coming back to the car. I get within a couple miles of home (thank goodness) and car starts bucking again, loss of RPMs, car loses power completely in the middle of an intersection. Let it sit for a minute and I can restart, made it home with a bit more bucking and power fluctuations, but no stalling.

Code is still showing 0320. No check engine light or other warning lights are on.

Shop says drive it tomorrow and see what it does. I'm fed up with them, even though they've done me right for 5 years. I feel it HAS to be something electrical ... loose wire?... something.

What's my next step? (other than another shop)

Last edited by 2002Cruiser; 05 Sep 2017 at 12:43 pm.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 01:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 02, bucking, loss of power, stalling

if it were me, i would inspect the wires for the cam/crank sensor that commonly rub the axle and short, clean the battery cables, unplug and reconnect all the connectors under the steering wheel, as well as disassemble and clean the ignition switch. if you're getting a complete loss of power, any codes you see should be interpreted as irrelevant and random. all of these ideas are free and should only cost you an hour of your life (no $$).
Old 22 Aug 2017, 02:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I had to replace the cam sensor and magnet to get mine right...
also what Rob said...the axle on mine had rub the wiring harness
until it would periodically short out..

Old 22 Aug 2017, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I"ll be checking the wiring later today or in the morning, since it seems that's coming up a lot in similar posts.

The cam sensor was replaced about a year ago when I first purchased the car. I'm not familiar with the magnet, at all though.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

P0320 - No Crank Reference Signal to PCM

Possible Causes:

1. Crankshaft Sensor signal circuit open or grounded
2. Crankshaft Sensor VREF circuit open or grounded
3. Tone wheel or flex plate damaged or erratic CKP Sensor signals
4. Crankshaft Sensor is damaged or has failed
5. PCM has failed.

As others posted already check the wiring first underneath the engine from the crankshaft sensor to the PCM.

If all the wiring and contacts are good check the Camshaft Sensor.

Is there any oil getting to the PCM plugs from the oil pressure sensor? If so check to make sure there is no oil in the PCM plugs.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am having the same problem. I have a 2003 pt cruiser 135,xxx miles 2.4 manual transmission. Out of nowhere It started missing and misfiring loss of power. Showed an ignition coil code but I just replaced that. Also replaced plugs wires and iac. I replaced these things to try and get rid of the rough idle. The weird part is a few hours later it starts right you like nothing is wrong beside the rough idle. Which isn't really rough but you can feel it. Almost like a miss. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Hebb; 22 Aug 2017 at 04:24 pm.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 02:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, how easy is it to check this wiring harness and the oil to the PCM plugs? Personally, I'm an extreme novice when it comes to DIY engine issues. Just being honest.

Thanks!
Old 22 Aug 2017, 03:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

How many miles on that 2002 PT? I'd check the cat con to see if it's coming apart. You may as well check it, you've had your "mechanic" replace damn near everything else.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 05 Sep 2017, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update on this:

Wiring harness checks out OK. However, current mechanic said there is oil on the Crankshaft Position Sensor. What does this mean?

Sensors replaced so far = upstream and downstream O2 sensors, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, plus plugs/wire and a vacuum hose.

I gave up at my previous shop, as I felt we were just throwing parts at it and not getting to the root of the problem.

Current location has pulled the Crank Position Sensor and replaced it with a tester one, and is investigating the oil. But figured I'd post here as well...

Thanks in advance.
Old 05 Sep 2017, 10:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Wiring harness checks out OK. However, current mechanic said there is oil on the Crankshaft Position Sensor. What does this mean?
It means you have to use RTV to seal that sensor. There is no other way to seal it up. I used new OEM seals and could not seal it. It is a failed design. From 2003 the sensor is in a different location.