Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 Fuel pump issue

Year: 2006

Motor: 2.4 Non-Turbo

Model: Base

Service history: Unknown 160,000 Miles

Concern: No Start

Codes present: P0499

Picked up this Cruiser to use as a work car a couple of weeks ago. Drove it home. upon closer examination determined it could benefit from some cooling system maintenance along with a fresh battery.

Installed a fresh water pump along with the timing belt kit and cam seals.
post assembly it would not start.

Sprayed some starting fluid into the throttle body and it started, stumbled for a few seconds as the computer seemed to re learn and then ran smooth as glass. The engine runs fine at all RPMs so long as I manually feed it fuel.

When the ignition key is put into the run position the relay below the windshield on the driver's side closest to the fender does go click after 2-3 seconds, however, I do not hear the fuel pump. Had my son go under the vehicle and both carefully listen and put his hand near where I suspect the pump is in the tank. Turned key to run no noise from the pump at the tank.

I did remove one ground connection during the water pump procedure it is on top of the upper lateral motor mount bracket I'll try cleaning it tonight.

User Chuzz had warned of issues with the TIPM in this model year I have thus far only checked the fuses all appear good and I note no corrosion on the TIPM fasteners for what it's worth.

I need to check and see if the pump will run when power is supplied at the rear connector. Does anyone know what two wires at the connector are used to test the pump?
Old 28 Aug 2017, 09:20 am
Banned

Default Re: 2006 Fuel pump issue

Last edited by rckstein; 12 Sep 2017 at 10:25 am.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 09:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoski View Post
Year: 2006

Motor: 2.4 Non-Turbo

Model: Base

Service history: Unknown 160,000 Miles

Concern: No Start

Codes present: P0499

Picked up this Cruiser to use as a work car a couple of weeks ago. Drove it home. upon closer examination determined it could benefit from some cooling system maintenance along with a fresh battery.

Installed a fresh water pump along with the timing belt kit and cam seals.
post assembly it would not start.

Sprayed some starting fluid into the throttle body and it started, stumbled for a few seconds as the computer seemed to re learn and then ran smooth as glass. The engine runs fine at all RPMs so long as I manually feed it fuel.

When the ignition key is put into the run position the relay below the windshield on the driver's side closest to the fender does go click after 2-3 seconds, however, I do not hear the fuel pump. Had my son go under the vehicle and both carefully listen and put his hand near where I suspect the pump is in the tank. Turned key to run no noise from the pump at the tank.

I did remove one ground connection during the water pump procedure it is on top of the upper lateral motor mount bracket I'll try cleaning it tonight.

User Chuzz had warned of issues with the TIPM in this model year I have thus far only checked the fuses all appear good and I note no corrosion on the TIPM fasteners for what it's worth.

I need to check and see if the pump will run when power is supplied at the rear connector. Does anyone know what two wires at the connector are used to test the pump?
Just because the relay clicks...doesn't mean it's good...it still might not make contact. The relay you mentioned is the Auto Shut Down Relay
You can swap out that relay with 1 of the 2 fan fan relays on the left side of the radiator to check. Do Not swap it with the relay next to the ASD, that relay is the Starter.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 28 Aug 2017, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Here's a copy of the Service Manual and Parts Catalog from my Dropbox links, you'll probably be needing them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9av5weyw5j...anual.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9kie6gh30...talog.pdf?dl=0
Just want I needed Thanks.
rckstein likes this.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. Yep, I swapped in a known good relay yesterday just hoping.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 09:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Issue resolved:

Damage to wiring between firewall and pump

Cleaning grounds resolved the PO499
Old 12 Sep 2017, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoski View Post
Issue resolved:

Damage to wiring between firewall and pump

Cleaning grounds resolved the PO499
Thanks for coming back and letting us know. And congratulations on getting that PT back on the road.
rckstein likes this.