PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery Then Check Engine Light Comes On After TX Auto Inspection (2006 PT Cruiser)

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2017, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery Then Check Engine Light Comes On After TX Auto Inspection (2006 PT Cruiser)

I just got my wife's 2006 PT Cruiser's yearly inspection, on the way home I get a battery light, and then a second latter a check engine light. The car then sputters and I have to pull over. I look under the hood, and everything is fine. I turn it back on, the check engine light is back on, the battery light is gone. Does anyone have a clue what could have happened to cause that? The car has been performing fine, and the battery is relatively new (maybe a year or so old).
Old 28 Aug 2017, 06:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Then Check Engine Light Comes On After TX Auto Inspection (2006 PT Cruise

It could be a number of things. The primary one on my mind would be a failing alternator or the harness on the back of the engine going to the alternator is loose and rubbing the CV shaft. I would check that. I'd also assure the battery has around 12.75 volts across the terminals with the key off and around 13.75 volt with the engine running. If all is good and the issue returns, I'd first try this voltage check again with the engine running and the symptoms going on. That would likely tell a lot. I'd also go a parts store and have a load test performed on the battery. And I'd assure all four battery cable ends were clean and making good contact.

Let us know what you find. I'm also interesting hearing from member, rckstien, on this. He dealt with a similar issue on his 2006 for quite a while.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 07:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Then Check Engine Light Comes On After TX Auto Inspection (2006 PT Cruise

I'd wonder if the inspection station didn't hook something up to do the inspection and then leave something un-plugged/un-attached when they were done. Check the battery terminals and see if anythings loose.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 07:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Unless you are in a county, like rckstein, where they check emissions, they don't hook or unhook anything for a Texas state inspection.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 28 Aug 2017, 07:25 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I'd wonder if the inspection station didn't hook something up to do the inspection and then leave something un-plugged/un-attached when they were done. Check the battery terminals and see if anythings loose.
I don't know of anything that they "disconnect" but they do stick a probe in the exhaust pipe to monitor the emissions.

This is what they look at:

"What's Inspected by Vehicle Type

Items of Inspection for a Passenger Car

05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (3) 1986 and newer; (2) if 1960-1985; (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old
20. Window Tint."

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/ins...nCriteria.aspx

If I were you, take your PT to any auto parts store and they can check the battery, starter and charging system all while everything is still in the car, takes just a few minutes. You can also have them scan to see if it has any OBD codes present.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 07:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It was just a guess but you did say the problem started right after you left the inspection station. Sounded reasonable that they might have messed with something.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I swear I see them pop the hood up when they do the inspections. I figure they attach something when they're under there.

Also, I'm in Travis (Austin).
Old 28 Aug 2017, 07:34 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCultAV View Post
I swear I see them pop the hood up when they do the inspections. I figure they attach something when they're under there.

Also, I'm in Travis (Austin).
They might open the hood, but I don't know what they would be checking as there's nothing on the list of items that requires the hood to be opened. But a lot of those "inspection" places also do add on business by recommending to any car owner that other items be changed/replaced while they are "inspecting" the car (air filter, cabin filter, wiper blades, etc.). They also might be looking at all the fluids so that they can recommend any fluid flush services that they may offer. So they may just be looking for something as an add-on sale.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 04:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCultAV View Post
I just got my wife's 2006 PT Cruiser's yearly inspection, on the way home I get a battery light, and then a second latter a check engine light. The car then sputters and I have to pull over. I look under the hood, and everything is fine. I turn it back on, the check engine light is back on, the battery light is gone. Does anyone have a clue what could have happened to cause that? The car has been performing fine, and the battery is relatively new (maybe a year or so old).
Yesterday I had the Texas State Inspection done to my vehicle (at a dealership) and I can verify that the inspection station does not have to open the hood to check anything on the inspection list. I viewed the dash cam video that was recorded during the inspection process.

They also did their multi-point inspection: 38 items passed, 0 items failed, 5 items recommended which are just preventative maintenance items, of which I had already either had completed or will in the very near future.

So if an inspection station does open the hood, they are most likely looking for something to upsell to you (air filter, cabin filter, fluid flush service, etc).
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Yesterday I had the Texas State Inspection done to my vehicle (at a dealership) and I can verify that the inspection station does not have to open the hood to check anything on the inspection list. I viewed the dash cam video that was recorded during the inspection process.

They also did their multi-point inspection: 38 items passed, 0 items failed, 5 items recommended which are just preventative maintenance items, of which I had already either had completed or will in the very near future.

So if an inspection station does open the hood, they are most likely looking for something to upsell to you (air filter, cabin filter, fluid flush service, etc).
In California they open the hood to make sure the CAT is still installed.