PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Failed MOT

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2017, 08:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Failed MOT

Well, the Cruiser went in today and failed its MOT. First problem... brake lights didn't work. That's ok I thought. This car is notorious for blowing its brake light fuse. Sure enough, it's blown. Replaced it and it blew straightaway! Damn!

Second issue which is new to me. The interior lights don't go off now. This started happening today when I was driving back from the MOT. So, so stop them killing the battery, I removed fuse 13 out of the interioir fuse board and they went out. Seems that fuse also controls the central locking so that isn't working now.

Thoughts? Suggestions? What's people's experiences with taking them to an autoelectrical place? I know the Cruiser is a little troublesome with its electrics.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 09:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Failed MOT

I did not see it in your p[ost what year the 05 and down were totally different than the 06 and up
Sinbad likes this.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 09:21 am
Senior Cruiser

Location would help too. MOT is UK?

Last edited by Fk5; 29 Aug 2017 at 09:38 am.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 11:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

my first guess would be the turn signal switch, since it has the interior light circuit and the rear running lights as well, im not sure if the brake light circuit runs with it. maybe some can chime in
Old 29 Aug 2017, 01:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Location would help too. MOT is UK?
Yup, UK from the sounds of it.

He needs to find a new garage - where I used to go ignoring something non-lethal like that used to cost a fiver

What else did it fail on mush?
Old 29 Aug 2017, 01:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exelbaradin View Post
my first guess would be the turn signal switch, since it has the interior light circuit and the rear running lights as well, im not sure if the brake light circuit runs with it. maybe some can chime in
He has another thread from about 1-1/2 years ago regarding the multi-function switch:

Fog lights and the multifunction switch

The current issues could be related.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 02:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Brake circuit doesn't run through the MFS. Your looking at a short to ground in the brake circuit. Break out a multi meter if you know how to use one. similar story for the interior light circuit, but your looking a different kind of short.

Find a shop with a good tech, approve 1 hour of diagnostic time, if they can't figure it out, they aren't a good shop so move onto another one.
If you want to, just come over the pond to Illinois and I'd fix it right up for you.

Edit: I say only 1 hour, because after my basic electrical class, that was our practical final, 1 hour to find the cause of a concern, I shouldn't take more than that to test out a circuit especially one as simple as the brake circuit.
VsandFords likes this.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 29 Aug 2017, 02:52 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
Brake circuit doesn't run through the MFS. Your looking at a short to ground in the brake circuit. Break out a multi meter if you know how to use one. similar story for the interior light circuit, but your looking a different kind of short.

Find a shop with a good tech, approve 1 hour of diagnostic time, if they can't figure it out, they aren't a good shop so move onto another one.
If you want to, just come over the pond to Illinois and I'd fix it right up for you.

Edit: I say only 1 hour, because after my basic electrical class, that was our practical final, 1 hour to find the cause of a concern, I shouldn't take more than that to test out a circuit especially one as simple as the brake circuit.
But his original post says that the interior lights don't go off, and those do go through the MFS. So he's got several areas to look at.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 02:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's most likely two separate issues, the brake fuse blowing (short to ground), and the interior lights not turning off. I'd tackle the brake circuit first, because thats the most important, then I'd go looking for the interior problem. Either of those problems shouldn't take more than an hour and a multimeter.
rckstein likes this.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 30 Aug 2017, 03:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, UK yes. Cars over 3 years old in the UK require a yearly MOT test to ensure it is roadworthy.

The car is a 54 plate so late 2004. It's done 65000 miles which isn't too bad for its age.

I have taken the MFS apart on numerous occasions and know it inside out, thanks to the threads on this forum. It isn't that I can assue you

The interior lights, certainly on the export model, which is what we have in the UK, go through fuse 13 on the interior fuse board. If they're on constantly it means either one of the switches has failed on one of the doors or the boot (tailgate to you in the US?) could be keeping the circuit closed and the lights on, however, by cycling the overhead switches you should still be able to turn them off, but they wouldn't go of until I removed the fuse. If I remove that fuse, every function on the MFS still works so I'm happy that they're not related on this model.

The brake lights are the only thing failing the MOT except for the beam spread pattern which basically requires me to get a lens cleaning kit to buff the headlight lenses up so they're shiney and clear rather than pitted and opaque. I can deal with the latter easily. The brake circuit is a pain. I would imagine from what I've been reading that there is probably a wire somewhere that has worn through and occasionally shorted while the car was moving when the brakes were applied and that's what blew the fuse. Over time the wear in the wire has now got to the point where it is shorting as soon as the brakes are applied and then the fuse blows. I thought it might be moisture somewhere because one of the rear lights used to have a crack in the lens, but I replaced the whole light unit last year and it was fine ever since. Intermittent fuse blowing could suggest moisture but now it blows as soon as you use the brakes which suggests a worn wire shorting or something like that.

The advice to take it to a garage and pay for 1 hours diag time is good advice. I will do that. There is an auto electrical garage in my town so I'll see what they say.

I can use a meter but finding the wiring in this car (or any car for that matter) is a pain in the neck so I'll leave it to the professionals

Thanks for all the suggestions. You guys rock.
Sinbad likes this.