• 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By RCSnyder
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2017, 10:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Running the AC wrecks the radiator fan

Hi gang,

Long time lurker (and thanks for all the 3rd party help so far), but I'm dealing with an issue I've been ...dealing with all year and thought I'd ask directly.

I have an 04 non-turbo, and I've got the overheating issue. Here's the twist: I've replaced the radiator fan twice this year alone. It has all the standard fan symptoms - eg, fine at highway speed, overheats at idle/town speeds, VERY overheats running the AC. Now it's overheating with a brand new (literally, just replaced yesterday) radiator fan. I'm at my wit's end, and I'd love some advice.

It seems to happen any time I run the AC. The car will run fine until I use the AC for the first time, and then I'll be able to hear the fan running from the cabin - one of the tell-tale signs that's something's gone wrong again. I'm not great with cars, but I'm willing to get dirty if it's something sane for me to look at.

I've had the fluids checked and the mechanic says there's nothing wrong with the head gasket, etc. (No AC is not an option - I live in Central CA.) My family members are already pricing new cars - is there anything I can do to save the cruiser?
Old 29 Aug 2017, 11:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Running the AC wrecks the radiator fan

We need more information to be able to help you.

Does the engine still overheat after you start using the A/C and you shut it off as it starts to overheat? Has the A/C been worked on?

Does your engine light come on? If so what are the engine trouble codes? Are you getting codes for P0490 or P0491?
If you don't have an OBDII Scan Tool I would recommend you buy one. You can temporarily go to an auto parts store and they will give you the codes for free in most auto parts stores.

With the engine cold, start the engine, turn on the A/C. Does the radiator fan come on almost immediately? Does the idle start to get real rough?

Your radiator fan should have lasted longer. What made you replace it?

Have you checked the radiator fan wiring and connectors. On one of my radiator fans plugs I had to replace it with the plug from the original one to get it to make good contacts.

Do you know how to properly burp and bleed the radiator if you are doing the work?

Does the radiator fan come on as specified below?

Radiator Fan Operation Chart 1.jpg

If your engine has overheated its possible your thermostat got damaged and is not working properly. Has the thermostat been checked?

What kind of coolant are you putting in your Pt Cruiser?

Have you checked your radiator cap to make sure it's holding the proper pressure?

Is the engine coolant system sealed? Have you tested it with an engine coolant pressure tester?

Is there air getting into the engine coolant system? After you drive it a long distance and you let it cool off, take off the radiator cap, is the coolant up to the top or is there air in the coolant system?

If you do air in the engine coolant system check the little hose going from the radiator cap to the coolant overflow tank. Make sure there is no cracks or leaks on either end.

Check your radiator for proper flow. You can use a thermo gun to check the difference in temperatures between the upper and the lower radiator hoses.

Post what you find out.
Overdrive likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 30 Aug 2017 at 12:07 am.
Old 04 Sep 2017, 07:55 am
Young Cruiser

Multiple fan failures? Hmmm.

Recheck the fan(s) for continuity in both windings and check the plug. You might discover a bad connection.

If so, add a ground line to the fan's black wire. Might solve your problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161119_002.jpg (92.2 KB, 7 views)
JoeX likes this.
Old 04 Sep 2017, 09:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

You said that you can hear the fan running? Why do you think it's bad? Have you had your radiator checked to make sure it's not stopped up? Build up of corrosion in the tubes can cause the symptoms you have mentioned.

Check your radiator.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 04 Sep 2017, 02:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'm with VsandFords on this one. I'd try having the cooling system flushed. And make sure you flush the frigging heater core. You may just end up needing to replace the radiator if it's really clogged.
VsandFords likes this.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.

Tags
overheating, radiator fan