PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Installed a different lower motor strut. Any problem ?

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2017, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Installed a different lower motor strut. Any problem ?

Hello folks:

As usual, I'm asking for advices from you . As explained in a previoust post, recently I replaced the lower motor strut. I bought one from an Ebay vendor with lifetime warranty.

The new one is a little bit different. It has less metal in one end. Seems that it is for PT Cruisers from 2001 to 2005:

Any way, I installed it and did the 4.72in motor position adjustment. The results were great. I almost no motor vibration.

My question is: do you think it's a issue on a long run not using the exact same part?

regards!
Carnut likes this.
Old 09 Sep 2017, 08:08 pm
Banned

Default Re: Installed a different lower motor strut. Any problem ?

For my PT, I use only the MOPAR torque struts. I had a shop install the Anchor brand, that they picked because they are cheap, but they charged a premium price for them to make a healthy profit. The lower strut was replaced within 6 months with another Anchor brand and the 2nd one lasted about 8 months. Anchor might be a fine brand and work fine under normal circumstances. But I suspect that the premature failure was because the ASE techs didn't follow the torque strut adjustment procedure as per the manual.

But I had another shop install MOPAR struts and those have been doing just fine.

Last edited by rckstein; 09 Sep 2017 at 11:35 pm.
Old 09 Sep 2017, 10:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbbs View Post
Hello folks:

As usual, I'm asking for advices from you . As explained in a previoust post, recently I replaced the lower motor strut. I bought one from an Ebay vendor with lifetime warranty.

The new one is a little bit different. It has less metal in one end. Seems that it is for PT Cruisers from 2001 to 2005:

Any way, I installed it and did the 4.72in motor position adjustment. The results were great. I almost no motor vibration.

My question is: do you think it's a issue on a long run not using the exact same part?

regards!
I think we need to ask why the extra metal webbing is there on the MOPAR part.
My guess, is from an engineering point of view, that if someone allowed the bushing to wear too much or there was a catastrophic failure of the bush, the MOPAR part with the webbing would still retain the engine while the other would allow the engine to smash out of the ring holding the bush.

Like a lot of things with the later production cars, Chrysler did some cheese pairing in all sorts of areas to keep profitability on the PT once the initial wow had gone. After 5 years and nobody starting a class action for engines falling out, perhaps they felt safe removing the webbing?

That said, maybe you are up a gum tree, and only the Chinese part manufacturer decided that the webbing didn't matter - have you checked an official 2005 onward part against it?
Old 09 Sep 2017, 11:06 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
I think we need to ask why the extra metal webbing is there on the MOPAR part.
My guess, is from an engineering point of view, that if someone allowed the bushing to wear too much or there was a catastrophic failure of the bush, the MOPAR part with the webbing would still retain the engine while the other would allow the engine to smash out of the ring holding the bush.

Like a lot of things with the later production cars, Chrysler did some cheese pairing in all sorts of areas to keep profitability on the PT once the initial wow had gone. After 5 years and nobody starting a class action for engines falling out, perhaps they felt safe removing the webbing?

That said, maybe you are up a gum tree, and only the Chinese part manufacturer decided that the webbing didn't matter - have you checked an official 2005 onward part against it?
There are several different versions of the lower torque strut:

The MOPAR one has the extra lobe at the end, some have speculated that it aids in reducing vibration as it is an extra mass of metal at the end of the arm:

Then the version without the lobe:

Then the version with a tab with 2 screw holes (just like the OP bought):

Then the same version as above but with a tab of metal mounted in the holes:
CREWZIN and Sinbad like this.

Last edited by rckstein; 09 Sep 2017 at 11:24 pm.
Old 09 Sep 2017, 11:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thank you guys for the feedbacks.

I'll contact the vendor and check if they can provide the extra 'metal plate', that might do the same (or at least approx) effect than the lobe.

I'll also keep an eye on it.... inspecting its wear often. If it holds for one year, I'll replace for a MOPAR one

regards
Old 10 Sep 2017, 12:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The production line was changed and many parts like the torque struts were updated to a more practical production cost and supply. And there are several different versions.

This was discussed in a previous thread and this was the conclusion of that thread.
CREWZIN, lrbbs and Sinbad like this.
Old 10 Sep 2017, 04:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
There are several different versions of the lower torque strut:

The MOPAR one has the extra lobe at the end, some have speculated that it aids in reducing vibration as it is an extra mass of metal at the end of the arm:

Then the version without the lobe:

Then the version with a tab with 2 screw holes (just like the OP bought):

Then the same version as above but with a tab of metal mounted in the holes:
Cheers
I'll have a grovel around under the diesel and see what type it has for the sake of information - I've got pretty much a complete service history with it, and it has never been replaced according to that, so it's what Chrysler fitted in 2007.
Old 10 Sep 2017, 10:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PM sent..

I am posting this notice so that the op lrbbs and SinBad will see it as many dont always see their PM's. PLEASE leave my response!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Sep 2017, 05:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

I personally think there is a lot of worry about nothing. This is a lower strut, holding the engine in the correct location. The different ends past the mounting hole have no bearing on holding the engine in the correct position.

Just MY opinion.
lrbbs and Azrak like this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 11 Sep 2017, 11:03 am
Cool Cruiser

My best educated guess is for NVH. The added weight affects vibrations differently, harmonics and such. You might see a "slight" difference in vibration or life in the rubber because of it. But considering how "easy" it is to change, I wouldn't worry about it.
VsandFords and lrbbs like this.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)