Advertisements
Turbo swap need more help

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2017, 08:39 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Turbo swap need more help

Will the stock PT cruiser fuel pump work on my car? It turns on fine and it drives good. This is a turbo 2.4 motor. Also, the car has an nvt350 and it slowly shuts off going into gear. I need to know why. Other than that it drives fine
Old 11 Sep 2017, 10:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo swap need more help

if it is running well and has power, i would ASSume the fuel pump in the car is adequate. if it were too lean it MAY throw a code for it. best way to tell if it was running too lean would bee to stick new, normal, spark plugs in it. then floor the car up to like 100, pull over, remove a plug, and then take and post pictures.

generally too lean feels like it's low on power and high on temperature.

Quote:
the car has an nvt350 and it slowly shuts off going into gear.
^^^^^what does this mean?
Old 11 Sep 2017, 11:06 am
Cool Cruiser

If you can rev it up and there isn't any power loss the Fuel Pump probably isn't bad. Just look up a Fuel Pump for a NA and a Turbo and see if they have the same part numbers. Same fuel tank, I'd assume they are the same, the car aint set up for E85 so it wouldn't really need a beefyer fuel pump.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 11 Sep 2017, 11:35 am
Senior Cruiser

I looked up a pump for a 2004 NA and turbo.

drum roll..........

same pump

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 11 Sep 2017, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The OP will need to explain more about this slow shutting down issue. Me bein' too slow and simple to understand.

On the pump flow issue, if you look up the Spectra fuel pumps for an 2005, you will find that the minimum flow on the turbo pump is almost 35% more than the pump for the 2005 N/A pump. These may or may not related to the actual Mopar pumps for these applications. I figure the only way to know is the look up the actual spec's for the original pump that's in the OP's PT and then compare it to the actual spec's for the pump in the donor car.

According to MoparPartsDept.com, the 2004 turbo PT pump is 5114547AA. The 2004 NA PT fuel pump is 5114545AA.

If like big trucks, heaviest fuel use is when the engine is cold and during heaviest boost. If you have a boost gauge mounted, go out on the road and see how she performs under full boost. For me, I'd likely go with a turbo or universal pump rated for this engine. They are relatively cheap.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Sep 2017 at 12:55 pm.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Most HO F/I engines specifically SuperCharged or Turbo charge rely more on volume of fuel supply during high RPM and longer runs at those higher engine speeds. While it nice to have the "pressure" during peak boost levels without volume you will run out of fuel and the engine will have the feel of dropped off power and may even hesitate or ignition missed which is more jumping on the lean side of the AFR's.
The NA pump or other model factory fuel pumps may work "ok" for a daily driven PT even with a Turbo HO 2.4 but ultimately if planned to boost frequently or drive very fast (higher engine speeds) it is better to at least go with an aftermarket HO fuel pump.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 11 Sep 2017 at 12:57 pm.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Most HO F/I engines specifically SuperCharged or Turbo charge rely more on volume of fuel supply during high RPM and longer runs at those higher engine speeds. While it nice to have the "pressure" during peak boost levels without volume you will run out of fuel and the engine will have the feel of dropped off power and may even hesitate or ignition missed which is more jumping on the lean side of the AFR's.
The NA pump may work "ok" (temporarily) for a daily driven PT even with a Turbo HO 2.4 but ultimately if planned to boost frequently or drive very fast (higher engine speeds) it is better to at least go with a OEM HO Turbo fuel pump.
EDITED:

Nuff said.

I agree with Nitro here. +1

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Sep 2017 at 01:12 pm.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 11:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Vacuum leak. Need help locating, but I don't know what all the vacuum lines are on this turbo motor. I'm replacing them all but I need to know where they are